Author Topic: Rendered Pork Fat  (Read 17020 times)

Offline TM Essentials

• View Profile
    • TM Essentials - Accessories for your Thermomix
Rendered Pork Fat
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:22 am »
There are occasions when you’re cooking that nothing can surpass rendered pork fat. You’ll be amazed at how much more flavourful your meals are when cooked in pork fat. I use pork fatback which is firm and white, and readily available from your butcher – I phone ahead first.

Start by cutting 1- 1.5 kgs of fat into 3cm squares. Cook at 100C, Reverse Speed Soft for 4 to 5 hours until the last bits of oil have come from the fat. As the fat renders, amber-colored crispy cracklings will form.

Pour the liquid lard very carefully into a Reusable Pouch or jars using a section of cheesecloth to strain. Set aside the pork crackling crumbs to use in salads.

When properly rendered, lard will store at room temperature just like olive oil; however, you can also store it in the refrigerator with no change to flavour or texture. One kg of raw fat should yield 500 ml of lard.
We are the experts for accessories for your Thermomix. From spatulas, cleaning brushes to carry bags. Visit us today at www.tm-essentials.com.au. TM Esssentials is not associated with Vorwerk
https://www.tm-essentials.com.au    https://www.facebook.com/TM.Essentials

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Rendered Pork Fat
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:59:41 am »
Yes I agree with you that some foods improve when cooked in a good lard.  Thanks for this.

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
Re: Rendered Pork Fat
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:18 pm »
Thank you for the Thermomix directions!  Rendering lard is on my to-do list, once my TM finally arrives.

I skin and cube the fat from loin chops and freeze it until I accumulate enough to justify my time.

Lard makes the most beautifully flaky pastry, and some dishes absolutely can't be made without it; refried beans without lard are just nasty, mushy beans that no amount of seasoning can improve 😝
TM5, delivered 05/11/2014 😍