Author Topic: Cocoa, Chia and Coconut Balls  (Read 8031 times)

Offline matmob

• View Profile
Cocoa, Chia and Coconut Balls
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:09 am »
Name of Recipe: Cocoa, Chia and Coconut Balls

Ingredients:
75g Linseeds
40g Sunflower Kernels
40g Sesame Seeds
2 Tblspns Cocoa Powder
2 Tblspns Desiccated Coconut
2 Tblspns Chia Seeds
3 Tblspns Honey or Rice Malt
pinch of salt

Preparation:
1. Place linseeds, sunflower kernels and sesame seeds in TM bowl - 5 secs Speed 9.
2. Keep aside 1 Tblspn of coconut and 1 Tblspn of chia seeds.
3. Put all other ingredients into the bowl and mix for approx 30 secs on speed 3.
4. Form into balls and roll them in the reserved coconut and chia seeds to coat.
5. Refrigerate before serving.

This recipe is my conversion from one which was printed in a Go Vita Health News Magazine.  I reckon it's a pretty guilt free chocolate snack!

members' comments

Denzelmum - Just made this, dry and crumbly.  I added 5g oil, but still too dry.  Decided to put it on the tray and press it with spoon, just like chocolate alternative from Vegetarian cooking book.  Resting in the fridge now.
Mine still dry and crumbly, using it up to sprinkle on cereal and smoothie.  This is pretty similar to home made MILO, I mixed this with frozen banana, ice cube, soy milk - really yummy smoothie.

matmob - I found the mixture quite dry too but when pressed into balls tightly in my hands they stayed together well.

KerrynN - I made these direct from the magazine too. They were really yummy, even though I used pepitas instead of sunflower kernels and shredded coconut instead of desiccated. My favourite thing about them though was the popping of the chia seeds as I ate them.

JuliaC83 - Made a double batch today (made 34 balls). I love them but my kids aren't keen - I think the sesame taste isn't for them. Means more for me.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:29:37 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cocoa, Chia and Coconut Balls
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:29 am »
They would be so healthy. But then if you're like me you would eat too many. They'd be nice to snack on when you're travelling. Give you an energy boost.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:03:57 am »
These look like a snack ball that is available at our favourite food supply store   http://www.thenaturalfoodstore.com.au/.
They are super yummmm.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:09:41 am »
hmm... yuim, thanks for sharing, will try this soon.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:53:43 am »
Just made this, dry and crumbly.  I add 5g oil, but still too dry.  Decided to put it on the tray and press it with spoon, just like chocolate alternative from Vegetarian cooking book.  Resting in the fridge now.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:15 am »
I found the mixture quite dry too, but when pressed into balls tightly in my hands they stayed together well.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:20 pm »
Mine still dry and crumbly, using it up to sprinkle on cereal and smoothie.  This is pretty similar to home made MILO, I mixed this with frozen banana, ice cube, soy milk - really yummy smoothie.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:10:14 pm »
What a yummy idea - do you have a recipe for home-made milo?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »
Here's Cathy's milo recipe matmob
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:41 am »
Thanks judydawn.  Another one to add to my 'to try' folder. (which is getting rather big I must add!)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:10 am »
I made these direct from the magazine too. They were really yummy, even though I used pepitas instead of sunflower kernels and shredded coconut instead of desicated. My favourite thing about them though was the popping of the chia seeds as I ate them.
Kerryn

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:15 am »
Made a double batch today (made 34 balls)  :)
I love them but my kids aren't keen - I think the sesame taste isn't for them. Means more for me ;)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014