Author Topic: Beef Nachos  (Read 41111 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Beef Nachos
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:38:14 pm »
Beef Nachos

Number of People: 4 people

Ingredients:

20-30g vegetable oil
1 small onion (i added two)
1 clove garlic (i added two)
350g beef mince (could easily substitute with any other meat minced and even slightly less or more)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 tbspn stock paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
300g can red kidney beans, rinse and drained
400g can diced tomatoes
packet corn chips or enough for 4 people
1 cup grated tasty cheese (i also used more than this..just grated enough for 4 single dishes)
sour cream
chopped fresh chives

Preparation:

Place onion and garlic in bowl and chop a few seconds on speed 4/5.  Add 20 - 30g oil and cook 100°, 5 mins, speed 2
Add beef and cook 5 mins, 100, speed 1-2, reverse.
Add spices, oregano, stock paste and tomatoes and cook 10 mins, 100, speed soft or 1, reverse.  My bits of tomato were still quite whole once cooking time was up so i did a quick mix on speed 5 for a few seconds before adding the kidney beans.
Add washed and drained kidney beans and cook reverse, speed soft or 1 for 2 mins, 100.

Prepare either individual dishes or one large dish with corn chips.  Make a whole in the middle of the chips and pour meat mixture into it.  Sprinkle with as much grated cheese as you like on top and grill for 5 mins or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.  Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and fresh chives and guacamole if desired (optional).

A very easy conversion but decided to post anyway as I didn't see any nachos recipes on here.  The recipe is from a WD cookbook.

Photos:  sorry not yet but will remember next time!

Tips/Hints:

I have since adapted a lot of my mince recipes and prefer to cook mince in the basket.  In this recipe I would just put mince roughly broken up into basket and cook at same time as onion/garlic then add spices and tomatoes etc and with mince still in basket cook the whole lot for 15 mins then add mince back in and mix a few secs reverse speed 4/5.. Then proceed with kidney beans. Done :)

members' comments

JD - a very quick, tasty meal indeed.  Lots left over for the freezer to use in tacos, wraps or more nachos.  Was a bit of a chicken and halved the spices. I made an avocado, tomato and red onion salsa to put on top of the sour cream.

Debbiebillg - it was a huge hit with the kids (and ourselves).  The kids devoured it and my eldest has asked for the leftovers for dinner tonight.  It's great when we find a recipe that they love (and it's not bland and boring for us).  Was very quick too.  Many thanks for this recipe, will make again.
I think the meat mixture tastes better the next day.  It tastes just like the bought packets of seasoning you add (and probably minus heaps of additives).  I reheated some of the meat mixture in the oven with a fresh lot of corn chips and cheese.

Hally - changed the recipe a bit.
500g mince
A little red chilli powder
No kidney beans
100g tomato paste.
Cooked up in TM.
Preheated oven 180oC
Layered CC's & meat, cheese,  finished with an avocado &  taco seasoning with sour cream mix.
Absolutely yum.

Amy - I minced my own meat, used thyme instead of oregano and added a cup of frozen vegetables. I also made my own healthy "nachos" by crisping up some wholemeal pita breads. Big hit, thanks Froz

Txiqueta - They were awesome!!! My husband said that they were better than the ones we use to have in TGI Friday's. The only change I made is that I added a tablespoon of Philadelphia cream cheese. Thank you so much!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:04:23 am by judydawn »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Nachos
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:21 am »
Thanks for that Frozzie, you are right - there are none in our recipe books that I could find and none on this forum but I did find one which used baked beans instead of kidney beans on someone's blog.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:23 am »
something quick and easy and that the kids also enjoyed....more recipes to come  :)

Offline chris4carol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »
Sounds divine! Just the thing for Saturday night snacks!!!
Carol

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:59 am »
We had this for tea tonight Frozzie - a very quick, tasty meal indeed.  Lots left over for the freezer to use in tacos, wraps or more nachos.  Was a bit of a chicken and halved the spices  :-)) :-))  Forgot to take a photo, just wanted to get stuck into it. I made an avocado, tomato and red onion salsa to put on top of the sour cream.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
JD we like it spicy in this house but not too much as the kids need to eat it too and I didnt think this was spicy but then we like more than most!  My DS wont eat if its too spicy but he is very finnicky and stick thin too ..glad you liked it..we like nachos on those days were we want something quick and tasty...i love fresh salsa too ..will do that next time instead of just the standard sour cream and guacamole  :) :)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:47 am »
Frozzie, we made this last night and it was a huge hit with the kids (and ourselves).  The kids devoured it and my eldest has asked for the leftovers for dinner tonight.  It's great when we find a recipe that they love (and it's not bland and boring for us).  Was very quick too.  Many thanks for this recipe, will make again.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:31:28 am »
happy it was a hit debbiebillg, especially with the kids as I know how difficult they can be..my DS is painful and every meal is a challenge to get him to eat it..!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:52:03 am »
frozzie do you serve the kids meals up on to a plate, or do they help themselves?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:56 am »
The kids just had the leftovers for dinner.  I think the meat mixture tastes better the next day.  It tastes just like the bought packets of seasoning you add (and probably minus heaps of additives).  I reheated some of the meat mixture in the oven with a fresh lot of corn chips and cheese.  CP63, I do it in one dish and then serve theirs into individual bowls, they'd burn themselves on the oven dish otherwise.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »
cp i serve in individual dishes and just tell them how hot the dish is..my ds is 5 and my dd is 2 and they have never burnt themselves as they can feel the heat, plus i go on and on about how hot it is lol and the dishes i have dont hold the heat very long and cool quickly enough to warm (your standard ceramic oven dish but in individual size) ..i also dont serve it to them right out of the oven but wait 5 minutes but you could serve it either in one big dish and picnic so to speak or serve it up on a plate..for me i like the experience of pulling hte cornchips off the sides and scooping up the mixture..the kids do too..each to their own with this i think!!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:51:42 pm »
Making ths later today. Hw much stock paste & is water added too?

The stove top recipe I normally use as 1/2 cup stock.

This sounds delicious.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:35 pm »
I have made this Hally but not for a long time.  I wouldn't add any water, it would be too runny.  Stovetop cooking is different to TMC cooking and the liquid evaporates during cooking a lot more than it does in the TMX.  Try 1/2 to 1 tsp stock paste.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:28:28 pm »
Thanks superhero :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
Def no water halex... And he stock paste is by taste.. Depnds on what you like.. Sometimes i dont add ny and just add salt as with the oignon, galic and tomatoes plus spices that makes it tasty enough..