Author Topic: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls  (Read 201923 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:10 am »
I have never made bread before so pardon me if this is a really stupid question! If I want to use white flour for this recipe, should I use plain or SR flour and should I still use 500 gms?
No such thing as a stupid question.  Lot's of first time bread makers around here.  My first ever bread was with my thermomixer.

Definitely not SR flour, as that has other ingredients in it.  Best to get some bread makers flour as it has more gluten in it.  You can get it at most supermarkets, and all health food shops sell it but don't always call it bread makers flour.

Just watch the supermarket varieties for additional ingredients if you're trying to avoid additives.  Hope this hasn't confused you more!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2010, 04:59:57 am »
Thank you! I am off to Woolies now!

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 05:30:45 am »
Definitely use plain flour.  Only use Self Raising flour for cookies, cakes, mufins etc

500g is correct.  This recipe is actually for white flour.  If you were to use wholemeal you may need to tweek the water content.

Cookie1 you should be able to upload them as an attachment straight from your SD card.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:36 am »
Courton,  welcome to bread making.   You will find lots of help here. Some bread flour is called' bread mix'.   Such as Laucke, which is excellent,   however it already has salt and sugar added so either don't add these or cut down on the amount you use.  Isi's recipes are very good, ( on the forum)  the recipe in the EDC book needs extra time for the 1st. and second rise. Make sure that you  let it rise DOUBLE.  You will then end up with a very good loaf.  You can cook the EDC in either a cold start oven or at 200 pre heated. Good luck.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 08:14:21 am »
yum just made this bread...the crispy crust was lovely
mine didnt seem to rise as well as i had hoped it seemed a bit dense still, i did 1.5tsp of dried yeast, maybe 2tsp would better
tasted good tho

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 08:25:05 am »
yum just made this bread...the crispy crust was lovely
mine didnt seem to rise as well as i had hoped it seemed a bit dense still, i did 1.5tsp of dried yeast, maybe 2tsp would better
tasted good tho
My dried yeast recommends 2 tsp for 500 grams of flour so that's what I'd try.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 09:19:29 am »
This needs 2 level teaspoons of dried yeast .   Make sure you keep the yeast well sealed.

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:07 am »
I used this recipe to make 2 loaves of multi-grain bread by subbing out 250 grams of bread flour with 250 grams of multi-grain flour.  I added 40 grams of pumpkins seeds.  It is light and lovely!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:19 am »
Great photo Sargo, they look fantastic.  ;D

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
Help! Pls solve this mystery for me!

I rushed off to Woolies and bought Laucke's "crusty white bread mix"... Mixed 2 tsp dried yeast, honey and 300ml warm water and added to 500 gm flour in TMX... result, a bit doughy and dense. In fact, there were bits stuck on TMX and were not exactly easy to come off my hands when I was rolling them... the bread was ok but not fabulous.

Is the problem the fact that I used "bread mix"?

Also, Isi, whenever you mention flour do  you always mean plain flour (eg cinnamon cookies)?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2010, 12:41:20 pm »
I think generally you use bakers flour/strong flour (Wallaby is a good Supermaket brand) and yeast for breads.  For cakes and cookies that require raising you use plain flour and baking powder (and sometimes baking soda) or self raising flour.  I would avoid premixes for bread making, but only because they usually contain nasty preservatives.

I think this recipe works well if you add the water and honey (stir on speed 3 for a couple of seconds), then add the yeast (and stir again) and then add the flour and salt.  Just my thoughts though.  :)

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2010, 01:07:58 pm »
Laucke's already has some ingredients in it courton -  anyways, l think chookie uses Laucke's so will probably be able to help more.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:37 pm »
Wallaby is only sold at Coles ( as far as I know ) It is bakers flour made by Laucke but branded Wallaby
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »
I found the Wallaby brand at Foodland recently - they never used to stock it though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2010, 03:52:30 am »
I buy Wallaby bread flour at my local Woolworths.  Laucke also has organic bread flour in 10kg bags, but I find the results aren't always as good as the Wallaby flour (and I can't always afford it).  :)