Author Topic: Wholefood - Jude Blereau on special for Kindle  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
Wholefood - Jude Blereau on special for Kindle
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:01:30 am »
Wholefood: Heal, Nourish, Delight [Kindle Edition]
Jude Blereau

This is on special for kindle at amazon for $2.23
http://www.amazon.com/Wholefood-Heal-Nourish-Delight-ebook/dp/B001FBFGZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1285118430&sr=1-1

Not sure how it will transpose for Kindle ( I have bought it but not yet looked at it ) I suppose it will be fine as she doesn't have a lot of pictures in her books ...other wise Kindle for PC is free ( would give you the pics in colour), great price, I know her books have been talked about here before.

Daneen

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Wholefood - Jude Blereau on special for Kindle
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:32:47 am »
Thanks for that.  I have been thinking about getting a ereader - they look great for novels but I am not convinced about reference and cooking books - how can you flick through the pages and stop at what catches your eye?!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 06:04:13 am »
Zebraa, I agree.  I wouldn't buy a cookbook for my Kindle either, much prefer going through them and seeing the photos.  But for reading books it's absolutely fantastic, can't speak highly enough about it.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:12 am »
That is interesting JulieO. I'm wavering about the purchase of a Kindle. DD offered to buy me one for  my birthday but I stupidly said no. Is it easy to get books for?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:24 am »
Cookie, it's sooo easy.  You go through Amazon and you can either buy over the net, or you can peruse the Kindle books on the Kindle itself, doesn't cost you any money to do so, and it doesn't use your download from your own internet provider either.

When I fist got it (in January) I thought I wouldn't know how to look for books, as I have favourite authors and know when their books are coming out and eagerly await their arrival at the library, where if you dont get in quick you can be waiting months for your turn.  I wouldn't dream about spending $20+ for a book that I would read probably within days and then be left with it.  I'm not a collector of books as such, (except cook books of course), I don't like the clutter and therefore have in the past given them away or to the library if I just had to have a certain book and couldnt wait my turn.  :-))

Once you start looking at books on Amazon it can gauge the type you like and will offer up suggestions, you can then read reviews of it and if you're still not sure, you can order a sample which means within 60 seconds the first couple of chapters of the book will be sent to your Kindle and you can then read it and see if it appeals.  There's no charge for samples and you can look at as many as you like. If you want it, you can select to buy it and it will be sent to your Kindle, or if you don't like it, you can just delete the sample.

One night I was reading a book in bed and finished the story, I so liked the way the author kept me spellbound, so I looked up his next book on Amazon while still in bed, found it and bought it and within a minute there it was for me to start reading!

I buy myself a Kindle gift card every so often, plus my two 'kids' send one to me by email for mothers day, birthdays  etc which you assign to your account and which allows you to buy books from this account with the press of a button, no having to put your credit card details on there for every sale.  It's a brilliant way to do it and you can send any amount you like and is instant and you can top it up whenever you like. I usually top up with $50 worth which lasts me quite a while.

With regards to costing of the books, they can range from .99 up to around $11 - $14, for new releases, with a lot being only around the $7 mark.  You can even get free ones from various places, but they would be older books.

The Kindle holds around 1500 books so you will never run out of stuff to read.  You can organise folders within, for example if you buy a few books within a series, you can name the folder after the author or series and have them within that folder.
When you have read a book, you delete it but it will still be on Amazon in your account in case you ever want to read it again and it doesn't cost you more money to resend to your Kindle.

I've currently got around 30 books on mine and found it great when we went away, was so good to curl up and have a read without having the hassle of packing a few books to take with me.

When you stop reading and turn it off, when you start it again it takes you back to where you left off. 

I find it hard to imagine anyone not thinking these are great once they've got one, I'd really be lost without mine now and if anything happened to it I would be getting another one without fail. 

More and more books are being added all the time and now it seems when a book is released, it's not long after that the Kindle edition is released too.  There are some rules regarding some books by certain publishers not being available in Australia and some here not being available in the US but there are ways around that and should you buy one I will PM you the details.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel very passionate about it and like I did say earlier, I can't speak highly enough about it.  I can't talk about other brands, and there are a few around, but the original e-reader (Kindle) has the thumbs up from me.  ;D

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:37 am »
Awesome review. I think  I will get one for my husband for my birthday (and then borrow it of course!)

Our local library is getting ebooks and they will be Kindle useable. No idea how that will work!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:13 am »
Thanks so much for that JulieO. I buy books to read when they are just released and quite cheap. After I have read them I give them away. Except for the few I have that have been signed. I guess in the long run it would be more sensible to use a Kindle. At least the cupboard in the van I use would be free to fill with something else.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:38 am »
Thanks for all that info JulieO, It has sparked my interest and my DD eyesight is getting bad and she finds reading books a chore and the large print from the library are sometimes a bit old.  Does Kindle have large print application, can you zoom in etc.   :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:14:22 am »
I don't know about Kindle but others you can increase the size of the font.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:11 pm »
Yes you can increase the font size on the Kindle.  :)

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:05 am »
I agree with the flicking through cookbooks for "normal cookbooks" but I find with Jude Blereau I tend to go straight to the type of food I am looking to cook, her books don't really have pictures and to me are really more of a reference book so in this case I find the kindle format works. I also have Kindle for PC on my laptop that lives in the kitchen and find that I would be more likely to look at a cookbook on that. I think my days of buying regular cookbooks are numbered as I tend to now look on the net for a new recipe if I need it rather than look through my many cookbooks and of course I have many many recipes from this forum.

As for the kindle ... I was convinced last summer after buying three new release books ( all from Authors that write in a series )and paying $45 each for two of the books as they were only in hardcover, these books would have been about $12 on kindle and I would not have them now just "sitting" in my bookcase cause they cost me a bomb! Also you have the obvious advantage of not lugging a 1000 page book around with you where ever you go.
I waited until recently when the Kindle 3 came out and right now you can't beat the US exchange rate!

vivacity

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 04:11:45 pm »
Thanks for the excellent review, Julie0. I have just ordered my Kindle Wifi from the US site and I hope it won't take too long to arrive (Actually I wanted to buy it for myself as a Christmas gift, but I couldn't wait that long...).

Your tip with the gift voucher is excellent :) It's a shame that people can't physically check out the Kindle before they buy it. Many reviews on the US Amazon site say that the screen is excellent but I'm worried I'll miss the printed page. Did it take long for you to get used to reading from the screen?

*jo*

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:10 am »
I have had my kindle for five days and LOVE it...whilst I am a bit of a purist that was quickly overcome when I had just this one very light and unobtrusive device with several books on it in one neat little package.  Open it up, (I bought a cover for mine too), turn it on, and I can cook AND read hands free...printed pages?, I thought would be an issue but not for me...to let you know the day that Amazon said was the predicted date that it would arrive, it did. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:01:37 am »
Vivacity you will love it. At first I found it weird reading but you get used to it very soon. It is such an amazing way of carrying books around, great for travel and waiting at appointments.

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:22:02 am »
I just went to buy this book (I love Jude's cooking, have done her classes) and it says on the site not available to those kindle shoppers in australia? Are you guys not in Australia?

cottchick