Author Topic: Freezing meals for Seniors?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
Freezing meals for Seniors?
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:08:21 am »
My MIL is not well at the moment and she has always done all the cooking, I would like to precook and freeze some meals from them but their tastes are much plainer than my family's, obviously casseroles and stews work well, also a lasagne etc, can anyone else throw out ideas?
They are typically meat and three veg eaters, I was thinking about getting some silicone mini loaf pans and freezing both the meat part and the veg part in this so they could have smaller servings, mashed potato or potato bake also comes to mind that would work in the loaf pan what other veg could you do like this would blanched broccoli work that you could zap all in the microwave?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing meals for Seniors?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:33 am »
I don't think you need any help as you have it pretty well sorted.

What about a meat loaf they can have hot then cold for sangers.

Maybe a quiche. Small pizzas.

Ham filled casseroles freeze well .  Might be nice for a change.

Corned beef  or pickled bork for more  variety

Soups are also a good thing to freeze and reheat.

Wonderful idea and I would certainly appreciate anyone doing this for me. 

I would also enjoy doing this for someone else.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:27:24 am »
I don't do as much as I used to but I used to take soups, all-in-one casseroles, tuna pasta mornay, curried tuna slice, curried sausages, devilled sausages with apple, chow mein which has a lot of vegies already in it but I make packs of 3/4 chow mein, 1/4 mashed potato (there's 2 versions on the forum, Chookies & Chelseas), cauliflower au-gratin or vegie au-gratin to have with plain meat packs, Farfallina's easy rice pilaf to have as an alternative to vegies with plain meat packs &  vegetable slices just to name a few.
So many of the recipes on here can be frozen in small packs and microwaved - they can each have something different if you do individual serves.  Don't forget you can buy Birdseye steam fresh vegies in “Singles” that are ready in a mere 1-2 minutes), it's handy to have some of them on hand for their vegie fix.

Good luck with the job ahead, you do sound as if you've nailed it though with your ideas but it's always useful hearing what others think.  You know your parents well enough to know what they will eat though so I'm sure you will do a great job for them and they will be extremely grateful.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 04:59:21 am »
You can also buy steaming bags that you fill yourself which I find really handy to prepare and freeze veg in then pull out and zap in the m-wave a pre-prepared portioned amount for a dinner.  :)
Macaroni beef on here is a good freezer staple, and can be done in whatever size you want.
:D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 05:29:11 am »
Don't know how old your oldies are but please tell them to be especially careful when opening those steaming bags and zip locks as well. They can be tricky. And if they have arthritis in their hands they can burn sensitive frail skin.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:45:38 am »
Cottage pie,/ Shepard pie freezers well. I made 2 yesterday for the freezer. :)

lasagnes
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »
I think everyone has pretty well got it covered. I used to do this for Mum and I simply froze what we had each evening. ( within reason).
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:46:23 am »
I do this alo0t, then heat up and deliver.. "Meals on feet"
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url