Author Topic: Fraying bread mat & fibreglass threads??  (Read 5777 times)

Offline my_cornucopia

• View Profile
Fraying bread mat & fibreglass threads??
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:04:01 am »
Hi,

We've had our bread mat for a week now and have used it 4-5 times at demos, but have noticed it has started to fray around the edges with bits of 'threads' - presumably fibreglass-  coming off. DH is very concerned about this since fibreglass is toxic and he is worried about it getting into the bread dough. We are also seriously wondering whether we should be using it at demos or ourselves at home, and whether we should even be promoting it at demos due to the potential safety issue. We really believe in the health and safety aspect of using the TMX, and this just doesn't quite seem to gel. Has anyone else had this issue? Or do we just have a dodgy mat? Not sure what to do now...

thanks! beryl

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Fraying bread mat & fibreglass threads??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:11 am »
Ooooh - not good!
I've had mine for a couple of years and there is no sign of fraying at all.
I think that you should return it and not use it in the meantime.  I'm sure that fibreglass isn't good for you to ingest! :o :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:40:42 am »
Same as Amanda,  don't use it, send it back.   Mine is fine and I use it everyday.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:57:09 am »
Mine is also a couple of years old and no sign of damage.  Like the others I would also send it back!!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:34:09 am »
SEND IT BACK!!! I use mine relentlessly and have no fraying - something is definitely not right. I had the same thoughts when I first got mine about it not being especially good for you and don't use it to cook on.  :-\

Offline my_cornucopia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06:51 am »
Thanks for the quick responses - it is reassuring to know this is a once-off. I'm trying to get in touch with my group leader who sold it, but think she's on holidays, so trying Perth HO as well. Hope I can get it replaced without any issues.

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:18 am »
Thanks for the quick responses - it is reassuring to know this is a once-off. I'm trying to get in touch with my group leader who sold it, but think she's on holidays, so trying Perth HO as well. Hope I can get it replaced without any issues.

I had heard some time ago (last year) that there were "problems" with the bread mats and it was suggested I wait to get one as there was supposed to be a new one coming out.....might pay to ask HO about any known issues with the mat and see if they have any plans to bring out a new one?  :-\
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline my_cornucopia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:41:33 am »
I had heard some time ago (last year) that there were "problems" with the bread mats and it was suggested I wait to get one as there was supposed to be a new one coming out.....might pay to ask HO about any known issues with the mat and see if they have any plans to bring out a new one?  :-\

I called Perth HO yesterday and Joy was told they had another similar issue and they think it could have been a bad batch. So i have to send it off now and wait for it to come back. We have demos booked the next couple of days so I suppose I'll just have to go back to the old-fashioned tea towel and floured board  :P

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:28:04 am »
Oh well - at least it is not one that you were selling to a customer  :-)) :-)) :-)) :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.