Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521707 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #11010 on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:16 pm »
DH bought a Samsung smart TV using DJ gift cards which were redeemed from frequent flyer and altitude points. Thanks for pointing out about doing this on the Forum a few months ago. A great idea! We can proudly say we shelled out only $5 cash on the TV!!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »
Wow, bargain Courton!  ;D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:52 am »
Fantastic, Courton!!  Well done!

Have to admit, when I read this the words came to mind  from a Daffy Duck cartoon my chn used to watch years and years ago, and which kind of became a punchline within the family . . . ." . .  absolutely free!! . ..  for fiiiive dollars!!! . . ." ;D ;D ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: December 27, 2013, 12:07:09 am »
Fantastic Courton, love to hear a bargain :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: December 27, 2013, 05:09:39 am »
Well done Courton. We recently cashed all our frequent flyer points in for vouchers as well. Not enough for a free tv but certainly enough to pay for the shopping a few times.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: December 27, 2013, 05:16:01 am »
What a bargain Courton. :)
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

mcmich

« Reply #11016 on: December 27, 2013, 05:41:36 am »
Wow Courton $5 for a fancy TV   :o  You are the Bargain Queen  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »
$5 is a bargain...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:50 pm »
Good buying Courton  :)

mcmich

« Reply #11019 on: December 28, 2013, 01:19:21 am »
Harris Scarfe Home has opened in Newcastle which I have a $20.00 gift card for as well. I was there today and saw some Laguiole cutlery sets on sale. I could have bought a setting for 8 with salad servers in red or white for $79.00 or a setting for 6 in the multi coloured for $49.00. I went straight for the red and bought the set but by the time I got back to the car, I had changed my mind and thought I can forego the salad servers and get 2 sets of the multi coloured for the same price as the red set with my gift card.

Can anyone tell me if there is different qualities in the cutlery as this seems very reasonably priced? Can it be put in the dishwasher?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:05:53 am by mcmich »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: December 28, 2013, 03:02:36 am »
Michelle, I have the multi colored set from Myers.  Love it. I put everything in the dishwasher too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11021 on: December 28, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »
I try to keep away from this thread as there are too many interesting purchases.  Very weak and always tempted.  LOL.
Bought a Mad Milly Cheese making kit and a Kerfir kit.  Also a raised garden bed.  Love vouchers.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »
Can anyone tell me if there is different qualities in the cutlery as this seems very reasonably priced? Can it be put in the dishwasher?

interesting question Michele....in a word, yes.
Laguiole is not a brand itself, but a town in France, so basically anyone/country can produce cutlery & call it laguiole. 
There is hand produced (prestige collection)and then there is mass produced cutlery, some that are made in France, and a lot from China....and there will be a difference in steel quality between all of them all.
You will notice on different cutlery in stores, there will be different designers names, marking on them.
The cutlery bought in most our kitchen stores, will be mass produced or actually made in China.
....saying that, I still love the green cutlery I've been collecting...so all good.

I think hand washing is usually recommended for all cutlery  ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

mcmich

« Reply #11023 on: December 29, 2013, 03:41:07 am »
Thanks for the information Maddy - I obviously have the mass produced sets. It has the bee on the side of the wooden box and says Urbain I think, not Jean Dubost like my friends does. It's pretty anyway.  :D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:41 am »
We have quality stainless steel cutlery from Sheffield for everyday and dishwasher. Some of it was my mothers and is well over 50 years old, and still like new. I chose mine in 1985 as I knew my mothers had lasted. When she downsized I got some more. The only thing that is newer are the knives. They are 7 years old and were chosen to be DW proof and were cheaper than the AP ones.  I do have 'bone' handled knives too but they are not used very often.  The best cutlery is a  silver plate set and has to be hand washed. That is currently in store right now along with the other knifes.

I think it is Arthur price old English but in stainless steel.
Mine was bought loose, not as a set.

http://www.johnlewis.com/arthur-price-old-english-cutlery-canteen-60-piece/p230399253