Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521251 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #10080 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:43 pm »
I just ordered this...have been meaning to for ages and finally have done it!  :D

I have three - using batters of different colors/flavors, you can make "pinwheel" cupcakes (or larger cakes) and I have also make "polka-dot" cakes with contrasting colors of cake batter.  In one case, chocolate cake with pink polka-dots...
That sounds cool - do you have any pics?  :)
:D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: September 27, 2013, 01:16:12 am »
I just ordered this...have been meaning to for ages and finally have done it!  :D

I have three - using batters of different colors/flavors, you can make "pinwheel" cupcakes (or larger cakes) and I have also make "polka-dot" cakes with contrasting colors of cake batter.  In one case, chocolate cake with pink polka-dots...

Love that idea Andi  8)
...they are also excellent to fill a doughnut pan or electric doughnut maker....no mess & controlled pouring.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: September 27, 2013, 01:29:18 am »
Andi I love that idea. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: September 27, 2013, 02:25:35 am »
Love that idea Andi  8)
...they are also excellent to fill a doughnut pan or electric doughnut maker....no mess & controlled pouring.

Okay, I've joined in and ordered one too - just for doughnuts! Well, I'm sure it won't be JUST doughnuts, but that sold me on it :D
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10084 on: September 27, 2013, 09:15:13 pm »
Like the look of the ice cream containers. But I need it to fit 2L

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #10085 on: September 28, 2013, 03:18:28 am »
I have no photos of the cakes or cupcakes. 

They were made and baked in a neighbor's kitchen - I mixed the batters here - and did not think to take my camera along.

The neighbor has nine children - five are adopted, and there seems to be a birthday almost every month and buying cakes has become so expensive that she wanted to learn baking.  Two of the kids are diabetic so she wanted to make pretty cakes that did not need icing and making the cakes themselves decorative works nicely.
I have a lot of recipes for sugar-free and low glycemic index cakes. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:13 am »
I bought these
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packing-cell-v2-medium-tangelo.html?___SID=U 
before we left, keeps everything in its place, no more hunting through my suitcase I bought 3 and a mesh bag for my shoes.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: September 28, 2013, 10:26:14 am »
I bought these
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packing-cell-v2-medium-tangelo.html?___SID=U 
before we left, keeps everything in its place, no more hunting through my suitcase I bought 3 and a mesh bag for my shoes.

I have those Jen and they are great.  Helps me fit so much stuff in a carry on bag

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:12 am »
They look handy Jeninwa.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:20 am »
home from shopping, bought lots of cup cake wrappers, clothes for me and kids. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #10090 on: September 29, 2013, 12:10:49 am »
The Egg Skelter arrived... such a brilliant invention! Take what you need from the front and add the newly laid eggs at the back-holds up to 24 eggs. They come in two sizes, bantam and standard and a range of lovely colours. This is a standard but even the smaller eggs fit comfortably..

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: September 29, 2013, 12:14:25 am »
Love those packing cells Jen.  Will have to investigate  ;)

Brilliant idea GF, if only I had more bench space

Marie

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: September 29, 2013, 12:54:10 am »
It's surprisingly compact, Marie.  Overall length is just on 30 cm and height 20 cm.  They recently had a special on and have been wanting one for a while so it was an early Christmas present ;).  It will be good if and when they find someone to distribute them in Australia.

This is a description from the ebay site . .

Holds approx  24 med hens eggs OR 26-28 bantam

SIZE :  21cm high & 21cm in diameter extending another 8cm down the 'arm'

HANDMADE AND HAND DIPPED IN DEVON

MADE FROM POWDER COATED STEEL

Please note this is a Hand made item !

The skelter is dipped into the painted and held in place in the paint at the end of the spiral so there will be a few cms where there is no paint but as this is where an egg always sits it dosnt distract from the skelters beauty in anyway !

This wonderful new egg holder looks fantastic and is such a brilliant idea, just add your fresh eggs every day to the top of the spiral and your oldest egg will be at the bottom, so you always use your oldest eggs first !!

The eggs gently roll down the spiral each time you take one off delivering your fresh eggs in style!

Also perfect for using in your incubation room for storing your hatching eggs in.

So easy to use and clean and keeps your eggs all neat tidy and fresh!!

Never store your eggs in the fridge as it kills the germ and so they start to go off as soon as you remove them in to room temperature ,thats why you will never see an egg in the chiller section in the supermarkets or shops!! Eggs stored at room temperture will last for weeks and weeks, most supermarket eggs are  up to two weeks old before they reach the shelf let alone your kitchen!!

Thats why more and more people are now keeping there own chickens for a brilliant supply of fresh,free range and organic eggs!! Try one direct from a  free range farm or your own birds you can really taste the difference!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: September 29, 2013, 01:10:39 am »
That is  interesting about never seeing eggs in the chiller section of supermarkets. I have never seen them not in the chiller section of Coles and Woolies.

Ger
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: September 29, 2013, 01:49:26 am »
It depends what country you're in,  Gert.     I'm thinking here, it's in the big supermarkets that they're often in the coolers.  In our local IGA they're on a rack at the end of the isle with no refrigeration at all.  If you google "should eggs be refrigerated" you'll find all sorts of arguments for and against.

As I understand it, the shell of the egg should never be exposed to water as that allows the shell to become more porous allowing bacteria etc easy entry.  Eggs stored in the fridge are often stored in the fridge door so every time the door is opened, the temp changes and condensation sets in.

We have  always kept our chooks' eggs on the counter - likewise with bought eggs if the chooks aren't pulling their weight from time to time.  That being said though, we do use eggs very quickly . . .