Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521416 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4740 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:00 am »
Me too CP .......... spiders, cockroaches, rats, mice, lizards I can handle - but snakes have me screaming and screeching and crying lke a baby.

I pity the snake that comes eye to eye with you Karen, you'd frighten the life out of it  ;D  Mind you, I'd probably join in with you ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:40 am »
A couple of years ago I came face to face with a very large brown snake in our rose garden.  I saw our 2 cats outside playing together chasing something, and thought "oh how cute, the cats are playing together and not fighting", until I realised they were taunting a snake.  I ran over, grabbed them both by the tails, and carried them yowling into the house.  However, I forgot to close the cat-flap, and quick as a flash they were out again and back at the snake.  So I hauled them away again, and locked them in the house.  DH was at work, and all the time I was crying and cussing at him for DARING to be at work when I needed him.  

Anyway, once the cats were safe, I got an axe out of the shed, hoping to bisect the snake and at least kill it quickly.  I was secretly hoping it would run away while I was in the shed, but it just slithered closer to the house.  I soon realised that the axe handle was WAY to short, and I would have to get really close to the snake to be able to use the axe ...... so, still sobbing, I ran back to the shed and got the long handled rake.  I stood as far away as I possible could, held the rake with my fingertips right on the very end, bent forwards and tried to whack the snake.  Being that far away and with a handle that long, I couldnt get much force behind the swing, and it was a pathetic little whack that missed.  The snake charged straight for me, and I screamed the neighbourhood down and belted the thing countless times and eventually killed it.  I used the rake head to pick it up and put it in the bin.  When DH came home, I made him check the bin to make sure it was totally dead, (he got it out and handled it with bare hands eeeek) and then I refused to put anything else into the bin until the next bin collection day.  
Karen in Adelaide

*suzanne*

« Reply #4742 on: August 31, 2012, 03:06:26 am »
That's a great story Karen and your very brave  :)

I had a mouse in the house once and sat on the bar in the games room for 2hrs until DH came home and set some traps to catch it, I don't deal well with anything that moves, another time we had a blue tongue lizard sitting at our front door again I couldn't move until my dad came to remove it from my house  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:56 am »
set the mouse traps with peanut paste. works all the time.

We got 4 mice in our office last week at home.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: August 31, 2012, 03:28:07 am »
Karen I know who to call if I need to get rid of a snake - loved your story and I think you were very brave to do what you did.  I would have locked myself in the house with the cats but then worried each time I went outside. 

Suzanne I almost peed myself laughing at your antics - I will not be calling you for help LOL
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: August 31, 2012, 03:47:52 am »
well done Karen, I would be locking myself in the house.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: August 31, 2012, 03:56:36 am »
My cat use to bring in the odd bird and let it go in the house.  I'd have to ring my Mum to come to my house and catch it and let it go.  I hate flapping birds.  Can deal with creepy crawleys, mice, lizards etc (definitely not snakes or flapping birds)

*suzanne*

« Reply #4747 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:11 am »
I don't do nature of any kind

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 31, 2012, 04:12:05 am »

Gosh, I am sitting here at the computer with my feet up off the floor just reading about all this,  I can't cope with snakes.  I do have 4 mousetraps set with peanut butter downstairs where my bulk supplies are stored.  So far, have not caught any but will keep them set just in case.

Marie

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: August 31, 2012, 04:14:51 am »
Marie, we got 4 mice in about 2 hours, none since then, but 1 trap is set.

I hate snakes too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:04 am »
I went to hang some baling twine up on a hook in the hay shed one day and just as my hand was almost too the hook I saw the king brown sitting on the piece of wood the hook was screwed into. It was about 1.5 metres off the ground. I jumped out of the shed then realised I had to get the snake out of the shed.

I grabbed a big fencing bar and tried to spear the snake with it.  All I managed to do was punch a hole in the wall and knock the snake to the floor. I kept trying to kill it with the bar but kept missing. Eventually it annoyed it enough that it left.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: August 31, 2012, 06:43:05 am »
I really didn't need to see that cake snake, now I'm just going to have to forget that I did!

Bought a red cover for my iPad

I have a red cover on mine. I love it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:43 am »
Oh yeah it is not a good  look with all them hanging bits a swinging around.

Gert

.............and that is only the rats and spider.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 31, 2012, 07:10:05 am »
I really didn't need to see that cake snake, now I'm just going to have to forget that I did!

Bought a red cover for my iPad

I have a red cover on mine. I love it.

I worked my red one to death. Now I have a black one.

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 31, 2012, 09:26:44 am »
Soniq 40" Full HD Smart LED LCD TV, for DD's Birthday on Tuesday

My Brother is buying her a Sony blue ray player, so picked up these as well

And ore-ordered the next  sims insatallment that comes out 2 days after her Birthday

......she's so not a girly-girl like her Mum  :P

.........EAT CAKE!