Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521405 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4575 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:25 am »
i really did need them  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: August 21, 2012, 04:00:48 am »
Of course you did Uni!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:39 am »
I love tala measures Uni. An essential part of cooking.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #4578 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:59 am »
Uni, where did you get your measuring cup? Looks really good.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:31 am »
the store is called House Mich $19.99

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:11:55 am by fundj »

mcmich

« Reply #4580 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:04 am »
Thanks Uni, will pop in there tomorrow.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: August 21, 2012, 08:25:53 am »
sorry bella  ;D

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:48 am »
I have read a lot on here about dehydrators. I have never had one before but yesterday I ordered 2 Excaliburs after doing a bit of negotiating with the price. One is for my DD. They are delivering on thursday. I just can't wait to have a go.
I have been watching demos on You Tube. I found "How to dehydrate and store food" parts 1-10 very useful indeed. I am off tomorrow to see what is looking good on the nearby farmers market with my list at the ready. Pineapples has got to be tried. They are cheap too just now.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: August 21, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »
I wen to my favorite store tpday, Kukulas Brothers in Northbridge.  I bought:
Dried Cherries
Belgium Choc Chips
Organic oats
Masa harina

I love the smells. I looked at all the bulk spices, nuts, dried fruit and grains. I guess I am deprived living in the country and having only a poor excuse for a Coles to shop in.

Bonsai

« Reply #4584 on: August 21, 2012, 01:58:06 pm »
Kakulas is a wonderful shop. I remember when the original brothers still ran the store - did all the calculations of cost in their head and never trusted their younger assistants to do billing or take money. How things have changed....   Kakulas Sisters in Fremantle is great too.

Decadent Dot I've just got my Excalibur today (very excited) after a disastrous experience with a cheaper brand and a seller who refused to help me when it caused my house fuse to trip the first time I used it (having to pursue this through small claims court). If anyone is thinking of buying a dehydrator in Australia via EBay do PM me if you want to know who to avoid 😓

jakodai

« Reply #4585 on: August 21, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »
Thanks for he information everyone, but I think I'm just going to get an Australian model. I'll just keep saving... Lol.

Bonsai, that's what scares sometimes with eBay. It's so easy for the other person to not do their job. I've been on the wrong end of a PayPal claim, where someone claimed they didn't receive something I'd sent, even though the buyer admitted that she'd moved and hadn't given me her updated address so I know that PayPal normally awards in the buyers favor in these instances, so I always try to pay with PayPal. It's pretty easy to get your money back then. Lodge a PayPal claim then it's up to the seller to prove that the fault isn't their responsibility. Good luck with the new dehydrator. I've been a little interested n buying a dehydrator, but I've put my foot down and told myself that I don't need one!!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4586 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »
I have read a lot on here about dehydrators. I have never had one before but yesterday I ordered 2 Excaliburs after doing a bit of negotiating with the price. One is for my DD. They are delivering on thursday. I just can't wait to have a go.
I have been watching demos on You Tube. I found "How to dehydrate and store food" parts 1-10 very useful indeed. I am off tomorrow to see what is looking good on the nearby farmers market with my list at the ready. Pineapples has got to be tried. They are cheap too just now.

I'm sure you will love it Dot.  Dried pineapple is like candy, especially if the pineapple is very ripe.  I try to dry the "wetter" fruits and vegetable at the same time - pineapple, mango, papaya, tomatoes, very ripe peaches and plums. 
Otherwise you have to "stage" your drying, putting the wetter fruits in first and adding the dryer ones later and sometimes the moisture from the wetter fruits will delay the drying of the other and make them tougher - or at least that is how it seems to me.

I recently tried a new "trick" recommended to me -  I placed some slices of stale bread on the tray above some strawberries I was drying and it really did seem to speed up the drying and the strawberries were very crisp and crunchy immediately after drying.  They did lose some of the crunchyness after storing for a few days but as I intended to use them in baking that did not matter. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:07 am »
I just bought my first ever packet of Crio Bru.  Finally there's a NSW stockist.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: August 22, 2012, 05:17:01 am »

I just bought my first ever packet of Crio Bru.  Finally there's a NSW stockist.

Hi Snappy
what is it? and does anyone from Perth know where to get it!

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: August 22, 2012, 05:37:26 am »
Hi Greyhoundmum

Weigh n Pay at Woodvale shopping centre stock it

:)
Katie, Perth WA