Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521404 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4350 on: August 04, 2012, 08:38:00 am »
Kim, they are truly beautiful!  Are they much work to keep in pristine condition?

Maddy apparenty easy to maintain but as ive never had them before i dont know just that the french believe they are the best to cook with.. Copper in general as it cooks evening and gives a finish on food above other items.. Will have to get back to you on that though once ive had them for a while and used them

Copper does need some upkeep. It can't go in the dishwasher.  There are excellent cleaners for the copper but I usually just use half a lemon dipped in salt and unless something is really burnt on, that works nicely to shine it up nicely.  The bottom does have to be kept clean or will not heat evenly - which is the major advantage of using copper - the even heating. 

I've got an induction burner (Max Burton) with the "interface" disc that allows me to use my Pyrex, Corning and copper cookware on it.  There are some aftermarket  interface discs that are inexpensive.  One of my friends just puts a round cast iron griddle on the burner and it works okay. 

andie not that i would put them through the dishwasher but they can go in the dishwasher..its stated on the description of different websites that stock mauviel..they can go on all heat sources except induction needs the disc where i had read that the disc does diminish its efficiency??  the ones i have a copper and SS interieur as thats what i wanted..  good to know about the disc..wasnt going to bother with it after the comments but will look at getting one..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: August 04, 2012, 03:02:59 pm »
ok here I pose a really hard question:

DS20 cannot cook, he has moved intersate and we are not going to buy him a TM until he is at least 21 ("the 21st present"). I really don't think he is up to a slow cooker, and most probably not a pressure cooker. Does that leave a frypan? If so, what do you recommend? Could there be something else, as he is slowly starving IYKWIM?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: August 04, 2012, 03:34:20 pm »
Cp why not get him a pressure cooker or o e of those multi cookers?? I know you said he isnt up to it but once you understand them there is so much you can do although for one person im not sure.. If not a large pan and a saucepan and a quiche dish and one other baking dish ?? And get a small notebook with easy nice recipes that you have tested or are fam faves for him?? If your just getting a frypan i would get a wok style one.. My mum gave me a little notebook with recipes when i moved out and i still have it today..Loved it!! Had basics like spag bol, lamb curry, mushroom metballs, porcupine meatballs etc.. Also things like impossible quiche.. Fav filling on bottom then mix eggs and cream etc and bobs your uncle.. Anywy i found it handy and a great start at the time as i couldnt cook as mum had lways cooked for me...was great having a book from mum with easy simple but healthy and tasty recipes in one little book..

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: August 04, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »
A 5in 1 would be ideal.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

mcmich

« Reply #4354 on: August 04, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »
I bought DS 22yrs a 5 in 1 and he loves it. He has always been a keen cook though.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4355 on: August 04, 2012, 09:20:19 pm »
ok here I pose a really hard question:

DS20 cannot cook, he has moved intersate and we are not going to buy him a TM until he is at least 21 ("the 21st present"). I really don't think he is up to a slow cooker, and most probably not a pressure cooker. Does that leave a frypan? If so, what do you recommend? Could there be something else, as he is slowly starving IYKWIM?

A good old fashioned deep square electric frying pan, he can make simple stir frys, omelettes, eggs and bacon and cook meats including roasts.  On a limited budget when we were first married this was my saviour in the kitchen.

http://www.breville.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/11/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/bef500_hr_hero_14dec2012_1.jpg
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4356 on: August 04, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
Andie, interesting that you mentioned using corning ware on the stove top. I have just googled it. apparently you can use pre 1990's corning ware on the stove top. They changed the formula of corning ware then to make it lighter. Although it makes no diference to me as I have a glass cook top. Would I need a disc on that to use copper?

No. You only need a disc on an induction burner or hob.  Copper is not magnetic and the induction heats by magnetic induction.  Iron, carbon steel, stainless steel made for induction and aluminum pans made for induction with a steel plate on the bottom.

I have a lot of corning which says right on the bottom that it is okay for stove top or oven - I have the "Visions" stuff that is also for stove top or oven.  Obviously it is not magnetic so when I use it on the induction burner I need to use the interface disc.

About putting copper in the dishwasher - some dishwasher detergents contain abrasives that will affect the copper surface of shiny copper and cause it to corrode more rapidly.  if you have the "brushed" surface there is no problem but I prefer to wash my copper "babies" by hand. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:50:38 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: August 04, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »
CP my two kids were not interested in cooking and when they left home I gave them both a file that I had written recipes from the basic like boiling an egg, and how to make mash potato, right up to there  favorite meals at home written in way they would understand. Also bought them simply recipe books with not to much ingredients, as that puts them off, they say they come home from uni and work and last thing is to spend all night trying to cook a meal. I am happy to say it really worked and they both quite good in the kitchen now. When they come home now they want to cook in the TM all the time DD is 21 this year and she would love a TM for her 21st, we will see  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: August 05, 2012, 04:10:56 am »
I would buy a slow cooker, or a 5 in 1 pressure cooker, and a big cast iron frypan, and a wok..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: August 05, 2012, 04:47:09 am »
I think an electric frying pan and recipes from Mum.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:47 am »
Thanks for your suggestions. I bought him a basic cookbook when he moved out called "Aussie Dumb Ar*e Cookbook". Its got some terrific recipes in there, and its aimed for kids moving out of home. True to nature he never reads it, but will call me when he's at the supermarket and asks whats in spag bog etc  :-)) The kitchen where he is staying is horrible, and I don't think they have many cooking utensils. The 5 in 1 sounds like a good idea. He used to make himself lots of smoothies when he was home, and I had an old Bamix that I never use but he didn't even want that. (I know he would use the TM  :-)) but I'm not going to get him one unless he wants one for his 21st next year). Sometimes I feel like posting some food over.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: August 05, 2012, 08:16:37 am »
Does he have an iphone or android?? Instead of a book could you put recipes in evernote etc written by you so even if he is at the supermarket he knows each recipe by checking out his phone..maybe the book is a generation prob 😄😄😄

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »
CP my DD22 still lives at home, she uses a frypan (not the big ones) and wok to whip up lots of stir frys and dishes from the Michelle Bridges cookbooks

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: August 06, 2012, 06:19:24 am »
I just ordered this set..... can't wait to get it now!!

I have a couple of those...great for canapes etc

Kim - my set of tins turned up today - and now I am wondering what recipe to use in them, would you mind telling me what bread recipe you use in yours?? TIA.  :)
:D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:58 am »
Hi astarra
I use any bread recipe but max 250g of flour so base it on that.. You can have fun with seeded breads or wholegrain or white bread etc.. Maybe start with chookies no fuss recipe or whatever bread recipe you use already but base the ingredients on 250g of flour.. Make the recipe as usual.. Put in mould and allow to rise ntil it fills the tin in whatever form you choose.. Put lids on and bake in oven at 200 degrees C for approx 20 mins or until a lid pops off lol and let it cool slightly and the bread should slide out..the tins i have are non stick as most should be as if not nightmare to get them out!  Cool completely then slice and serve your fav toppings..

Here typically its either a pain mie or sandwich type bread or rye bread but you can really use any fav bread recipe you want..