Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521269 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1785 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »
Sorry, emoji, not imoji!

Ok thx 😃

I can see all the icons too dede even before i installed emoji 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:25 am »
MeganJane, those little victorinox knifes are great I have 10 well did have I think there was 9 last count, I don't know who the knife appropriator, was thinking it was grandson with Aspberger's (loves fishing, but doesn't look after his gear according to his Mum), I have my Dad's big Victorinox carving knife but it is too heavy, I worked in a butcher shop for a few years in SA and bought a lovely boning knife which is a favorite.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1787 on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »
I was given the Scanpan knife sharpener for Xmas and it's excellent. I already had a ceramic one for my Global knife, but you have to put water in it, so the Scanpan one is just quicker and easier to use.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 29, 2012, 10:35:33 pm »
MJ is the scanpan sharpener for all the multi colour knives.

I really need to buy some knives that stay sharp or sharpen well.

DH no good at sharpening & nor am I. Itook my mundial knives to gc to get sharpened, they lasted  about 1 month. Dont know what I am doing wrong. Yes they do go in the dishwasher but its no good to me if you cant put them in.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:20 pm »
Yikes! I have had some Mundial knives for  30 years and they are still going strong. I sharpen them regularly but have never put them in the dishwasher. When they get a few chips I have them professionally sharpened. The blades get a bit smaller but they are still great knives.

I also have some regular Scanpan knives which are not wonderful steel but they sharpen easily with Zwilling A J Henckels Solingen sharpener which I keep on the bench top at ALL times. REMOVE IT AT YOUR PERIL!

The cheap colored Scanpan knives stay sharp for quite a while but are more or less disposable if you do not have a sharpener.

My advice is to never put any cooks knives in the dishwasher.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »
hally not sure why, but you really shouldn't but them in the dishwasher

update  ;D

Here are the most common reasons

You might cut yourself.
The knife might cut the dishwasher’s plastic coating on the racks.
The hot temperature might harm the handle, especially if it’s wooden.
The dishwashing detergent might make a glob on the knife blade and cause it to pit.
The knife might knock against other stuff in the dishwasher and get nicked

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:56:43 pm by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »
Thank you guys :)

I have a miele dishwasher that has a horizontal rack for knives so no harming anyone.

If things dont go in the diswasher they are no good for us.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:15 pm »
I think  that rack is for regular knives and not precious steel blades. Mainly the reason for not putting them in the dishwasher is that the dishwasher detergent can be corrosive and it is also not good for wooden handles. Maybe the Furi knives would be ok but  I would not risk an expensive  knife.

I removed those racks from my dishwasher so I could fit my long stemmed wine glasses.  Priorities right!!!

My husband put my special boning knife  in the dishwasher about 40  years ago.  I asked  him tomrefurbish it  from handle to tip of blade. Cost him plenty. Probably could have bought a new one for what it cost him. Lesson learned . I still have both. And I still love both but one is not as sharp as the other these days.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 29, 2012, 11:46:45 pm »
Ok ok you guys have got me. I will invest in a couple of new knives and I wont put them in the dishwasher.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 29, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »
lol hally
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:59 pm »
I only put our dinner knives in the dishwasher and all my good knives get hand washed. I am fussy with the dishwasher and like to wash all my plastics by hand too. The only things that go into the dishwasher are plates, mugs and cutlery. Evberything else get handwashed.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 29, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »
I am an everything girl, LOL, everything in the dishwasher, everything in the freezer, the list goes on.....

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 30, 2012, 12:10:34 am »
I'm a bit like you Hally. When I'm looking to buy something if it's not dishwasher safe I don't buy it. Knives, my good saucepans ( hardly ever used now  ;)) and good glasses are the exceptions as they never go into the dishwasher. I'm will be in the market for a new dishwasher soon as one of the drawers in my Fisher & Paykel has broken. I was quoted $600 to repair so have decided to manage with 1 drawer until that breaks then buy a new one. Not sure what to get :-\ :-\
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:54 am »
All of my stuff goes in the dishwasher too.
works great.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:03 am »
I only put our dinner knives in the dishwasher and all my good knives get hand washed. I am fussy with the dishwasher and like to wash all my plastics by hand too. The only things that go into the dishwasher are plates, mugs and cutlery. Everything" else get handwashed.

Hand wash plastics!!!!!  Life is too short. But I  have to say I hate that they never dry in the dishwasher. Life is also too short to hang out washing. Now there is a can of worms about to be opened.

Ok ok you guys have got me. I will invest in a couple of new knives and I wont put them in the dishwasher.

You won't be disappointed Hally. I think they will stay sharper and last longer.

Gert