Author Topic: Moroccan Lamb  (Read 51451 times)

Offline virgosandra

• View Profile
Moroccan Lamb
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:57:26 am »
A recipe I concocted recently. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did. It serves 2-3 adults. 
It is a slightly sweet, savoury dish served on rice or couscous.  You can increase the chickpeas if desired.
Sandra

Moroccan Lamb

1 Onion
1 Clove garlic
5gm Butter
400 gm Lamb
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
300gm Tin of Chickpeas
150gm Water
100gm Dried Dates
30gm Honey
30gm Tomato Paste
20gm TM Vegetable Stock
Juice of 1 lime

Place garlic clove and quartered onion into TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds
on speed 5.
Scrape down the sides and add the Butter, chopped lamb (1.5 - 2cm cubes),
Cumin and cinnamon.
Cook 100 degrees,  :-:, speed 1 for 10 minutes.
Scrape down sides and add chickpeas, water, Dates, Honey, Tomato Paste, Vegie stock and lime juice.
Cook 100 degrees,  :-:, speed 1 for 10 minutes.

members' comments

JD - this is a great dish.  I used lamb backstraps, the dish would feed 4 people.  Couscous was nice for a change too. Thanks for posting it -  did it exactly as you posted it apart from the fact I used a 425g tin of chick peas.

riv mum - Awesome!! Didn't even have to go to the shop had everything in the pantry. The only extra/different thing I did was add pumpkin with the onion and garlic right at the start. Was very thick and so wintery!! 

marmee - it is a fabulous dish!  Thanks so much for posting.  We enjoyed immensely. We used lemon instead of lime and sultanas instead of dates (cause that's what we had on hand) - and still delicious!

sianon - Very very yummy. I now regularly make to freeze in small portions for work lunches or those nights where I can't be bothered cooking.

Chelsea - it was absolutely delicious!!!!

CP - Very tasty dish. Even though I put in ground coriander by mistake and then added the ground cinnamon when I realised -- it still got the thumbs up. Didn't read that it only fed 2-3 people until I started to make it but made sure we had lots of accompanying vegetables and couscous. Will make this again 9/10.

JulieO - Didn't feel like rice or couscous to go with it so made mashed potatoes and thickly cut carrots.  Was absolutely delicious, we loved it. I bought a half leg of lamb, trimmed it and cut into cubes, enough for this meal and have frozen the left overs for another meal. A really lovely meal all done in the TM, so no oven to heat up my kitchen on a hot day.

faffa - I made 1 1/2 times the recipe though I did use two 420g tins of chickpeas. It all just fit in the bowl so think even with the "normal" amount of chick peas you might struggle to get double in - so if you try double definitely leave the chickpeas until last! Served this with couscous and steamed pumpkin and sweet potato.

Jabba - It was delicious - even my 4-year old was raving about it and we still have a couple of bowls left for lunch tomorrow.
I had to make a few changes, based on what I had available.  I used 500 gm of lamb, a 400-ish gram tin of chickpeas, didn't have any tomato paste so used 90 g of Tomato (Pasta) Sauce (from the Everyday cookbook) that I had made the day before and the juice of most of one lemon. We had it over quinoa, with some steamed veg and a dollop of yogurt.  Really, really good!

Roxy - Delicious!!!! I added sultanas instead of dates as daughter loves them and it was great.  Didn't have any rice and so made mashed potato/sweet potato and they worked well together. Thanks will make this again.

Snoozie - Had this with cous cous... yummo!

SuzieHomemaker - it was a delicious hit with the whole family - thank you!

AmandaN - So quick, no-fuss and tasty! DH and I gave it a big thumbs up and I can see I am going to be doing variations on this theme regularly.

Tick of Yum - I just wanted to say that this was absolutely fantastic!!   

Caroline J - Made this (with beef) and it was divine.  Will try it with chicken next time and put a dollop of greek yoghurt and drizzle some pomegranate molasses over the top... 

NatMc - WOW this is really lovely. So quick and easy and tasted delish. Thanks for a great recipe.

Lellyj - Very easy and tasty.  I used forequater chops from which I removed the fat and bone. In my opinion tasted quite "lamby", would probably prefer leg or backstrap myself but still a nice, easy dish.

Mrs KK - This recipe is delicious. I used a cut of roast lamb - trimmed and cubed it all. I also doubled the recipe as I ended up with double the meat. This will definitely be included as a regular in our household. I cooked it the day before we had it and thought I was going to have to heat it in the slowcooker for the meat to tenderise - to my surprise it was tender and didn't need to. Next time I think I will cut down on the dates and honey as it was almost too sweet. Thanks for a great recipe.

KathD11 - it was so delicious I had to jump on straight away to say thanks! I was a bit sceptical about the dates as I havent cooked them in a savoury dish before but it really turned out lovely.

himeliann - it was a great hit with the family. Thank you for the recipe.

Sue_Purrb - although I had dates and honey in the pantry I decided not to use them as I wasn't sure if I would like the sweetness.  It was deliciously tangy from the lime juice, and the lamb was surprisingly tender from such a short cooking time.

Maddy -  served with pearl cous cous.
I doubled everything except the chick peas and it all fit no problems in the jug.  I also cubed leg roast meat (larger cube) & cooked for  an extra 8 minutes.
I did find it too sweet though, so next time I will cut out the honey.  I think there would be enough sweetness from just the dates.

Jamberie - everyone had seconds. I served it with quinoa which had a mix of pistachios, red onion,  sultanas, apricots, mint and moroccan seasoning through it.

Ozzie_Mum - Made this as part of my weekend cook up without the meat and using a whole tin of chick peas (I'll add the meat later in the week). Son walked passed and asked what smelt so good :) so gave him a spoonful and he loved it. Has come over very thick - maybe due to not being able to find my MC and a little sweet for my liking. Possibly next time I may add a little chilli.

CC - We loved it. I did leave out the honey as I knew this would make it too sweet for my DH's palate.I used cubed  Lamb Steaks for the meat. I also cooked it at 98oC during the second period of cooking in my TM5.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:50:40 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Morrocan Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:02:12 am »
sounds so good!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Morrocan Chicken
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:08:16 am »
Another one for my recipe file - thanks Sandra.  One little thing though, did you mean chicken or lamb ??? ???  It is called chicken but contains lamb - maybe either??
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:10:47 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline virgosandra

• View Profile
Re: Morrocan Lamb
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:53:18 am »
I guess I was having a 'duh' moment when I typed in the subject line.  You are indeed correct, it should be Morrocan Lamb and I have changed the subject line accordingly.  Sorry.  However, I couldn't see any reason why you could not substitute with chicken if you were that way inclined.
Cheers
Sandra

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:39:56 am »
It is so nice to know you young ones have 'senior moments' too and it is not exclusive to us oldies. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41:25 am »
Thanks, does sound good.  Could imagine even doing a vegetarian version.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:12:00 am »
Virgo Sandra, this is a great dish.  We had it for tea tonight using lamb backstraps - they seem expensive but it only cost me $10 as they are pure meat and the dish would feed 4 people.  Couscous was nice for a change too.  DH gave it his seal of approval and it has now gone into my recipe folder for future use.  Thanks for posting it -  did it exactly as you posted it apart from the fact I used a 425g tin of chick peas.  I hope Tenina sees this one as it would be a great addition to the new meat book.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 01:42:15 am »
We'll send her a link
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28:55 am »
thanks for thinking of me guys!

Offline virgosandra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:40 am »
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the dish Judy.
I think I got the proportions just right - just the right amount of lime to cut through the honey, but anyone liking their food more sweet or sour can always add more of what they prefer (lime/honey) without effecting the end too much.
I did actually send the recipe to Tenina when I saw she was looking for 'meat' dishes.
Cheers
Sandra

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:01 pm »
Made this tonight. Awesome!!
Didnt even have to go to the shop had everything in the pantry. The only extra/different thing i did was add pumpkin with the onion and garlic right at the start. Was very thick and so wintery!!  :) :)
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 03:08:50 am »
I second, third or is it forth that - it is a fabulous deish!  Thanks so much for posting.  We enjoyed immensely. 

We used lemon instead of lime (thanks to our lemon tree) and sultanas instead of dates (cause that's what we had on hand) - and still delicious!

If you haven't made this before - get cooking tonight!!!   ;D
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 12:10:38 pm »
mmm made this for dinner tonight.  Very very yum,my and enough left over for lunch at work tomorrow.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 11:51:49 am »
Thank you Sandra.  I made this tonight for dinner and it was absolutely delicious!!!!
Chelsea  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 12:36:50 pm »
Wow, 5 reviews now for this recipe - this is more like how this forum should be.  Reviews have been sadly lacking from posted recipes and Virgosandra should be very pleased with herself for coming up with this one.