Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7861067 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #39120 on: July 15, 2020, 08:37:16 am »
I’m discovering a few things in our big cupboards in the theatre from when we shifted in 16 years ago too Chookie. Big surprises for me.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39121 on: July 15, 2020, 11:49:14 pm »
I’m discovering a few things in our big cupboards in the theatre from when we shifted in 16 years ago too Chookie. Big surprises for me.
Cookie, I’m so pleased to hear that.  We tend to live in just 1/2 the house and tend to forget what is in the other rooms.
Yesterday, I gave up trying to fill in the forms on the iPad for the Solar.  I rang the Vic Government office and they are posting out some forms.  Apparently I’m not the only one having trouble.  I do think that my iPad is getting a bit old.  Might have to update. My iPhone works better but is a bit small.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39122 on: July 16, 2020, 12:35:59 am »
Chookie you will still be finding stuff in your vast house five years from now!!! Meanwhile I am still disposing of one thing a day. Sometimes it is just an empty wine bottle. LOL!

Yup get a new iPad. Why not? You do use it a lot. May as well have the best.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39123 on: July 16, 2020, 02:03:17 am »
Gert, I remember a long time ago you said ‘if you want it and can afford it, buy it.’ I have lived by that motto ever since. I’m even thinking of an Apple Watch now. 😀😀

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39124 on: July 16, 2020, 02:27:41 am »
Yup. Life is too short to dither. I am in my last quarter now so sure I may as well have what I want. No need to leave what I have for others to enjoy!!!

I now have my third Apple Watch and may still get the Next newest latest greatest. My doctor said all us oldies should have one with data sharing so he can check up on us. I have many watch bands so I can accessorise! What a wanker I am. If you do it get the one with a built in SIM card and have it set up with your GP info. Soon we will be able to send ECG message, falling down dead messages and who knows what else. I use mine for timing my steak on the BBQ. Tells me when I have been sitting on my ass too long and tells me to walk a bit more and I can use it for a phone. Also when I walk it congratulates  me and gives me a gong. It is a hoot.

All of this syncs with your iPad and phone and you can share the info with your DD as well.
Hope you have set up your iphones for emergency contact with your DD as well. Just google it in Apple Support. If you wind up with a broken leg in Aldi someone can quickly find it.

And it is all good time wasting fun. You earned it and deserve it.

Best thing ever is that I set Siri to Male and he is right there on my wrist to do my bidding . Wonderful.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39125 on: July 16, 2020, 03:34:10 am »
You’re one hip technology junkie Gert, love it!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39126 on: July 16, 2020, 05:38:10 am »
I am JD. It all started many years ago when Dear Departed Ted told me we would NEVER have a computer in our house. He went away working for 6 weeks. I ordered a Gateway computer when they first arrived in Sydney. They delivered with instructions on how to put it together. Bloody great beast it was. I spent a day and a night and a day putting the bastard together then I was forced to phone Some male to
  ask what actually was the computer when the screen never lit up.  Was talked through it and never looked back. Put it all on the new credit card I was finally able to get on my own without the hubbies signature or permission. Remember those days????? Did many courses, on my own, learned on line until I dropped. By the time the Luddite returned I had mastered it , paid it off and was away. Eventually over many years Ted learned and it was like it was always his idea.  Love technology. We should use it , embrace it and NEVER let our grandchildren get the better of us oldies. Today it is simple, user friendly, efficient and ever so useful. Never having to deal face to face  with bureaucracy is the absolute best. Never a bank or Centrelink or council or any bastard is bliss. Everything is in print. Everything is traceable. Every receipt is accessible. We can shop for clothes, food arrives on time and delivered to our door, wine by the cases miraculously arrive. Every bill gets paid automatically. No stress. Not waiting in line and now you can do it all with a tap on your phone , tablet, laptop, pc and the watch on your wrist. Life is good and all it takes is a tiny bit of knowledge and  nouse which we all have.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39127 on: July 16, 2020, 05:42:13 am »
Thanks for that Gert. Emergency stuff is set up for DD so that is good. Thanks for the advice re the phone, very helpful. Life is definitely to be lived.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #39128 on: July 16, 2020, 05:46:21 am »
Your earlier post made my laugh, Gert, thanks for that!

I am not a great lover of computers, but, conversely, spend a great deal of my life in front of one!  I don't miss it when I am away from it, but I would miss my kindle.

I have my DH on my phone under my ICE numbers.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39129 on: July 16, 2020, 06:03:38 am »
Oh my the Kindle Cuilidh. My oasis recently played up and I was betwixt, between and beside myself as well as mortally berift. What to do? Had to immediately buy a new one and decided not to buy the oasis again due to cost. Love my new one and my oasis suddenly and miraculously came good. Now I have two. LOL! I use them both and my phone so I am never without a book to turn to. Sometimes two books at a time. Wonderful technology. Free books, access to free library and no paper to dispose of eventually. Best thing ever. Best gift to give to everyone. A book, a quiet corner and a glass of. Bliss.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39130 on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:11 pm »
I hope Ted was very proud of your technology achievements Gert.  With my first computer I spent most of the time crying as it was just all too much for me to work out LOL. Talk about stress, I reckon it gave me more of that than anything else ever has in my life.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39131 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:45 pm »
Thanks Gert, a good laugh was just what I needed in this awful situation in Vic.  Don’t think I will ever be like you with the technology. Keep thinking of you up there in the warmth.  Another white frost predicted for tonight.  Just as well we got together when we did as planes and boats are not looking good for the near future.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39132 on: July 16, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »
I feel extremely fortunate to be living here in warm sunny Cairns. Last week I did a road trip to Karumba 9 hours west of .Cairns. Big sky wide open spaces and no people. Now we are inundated with thousands of tourists from down south so it is inevitable that the CV will once again be announced in Cairns. We are just waiting for it. Most feel we should not have opened our borders. Anyway yes Chookie we had a fun time and a lucky time. I doubt I will be travelling anywhere south in the future. A good  memory.

Judy I had plenty of stress and a lot of tears and fears when learning about computers. The thing is we are in control. All can be fixed. Nothing is  sacred and it is a lot of fun. In the future who knows?? Computers may be in charge.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39133 on: July 16, 2020, 02:15:52 pm »
Thanks Gert, that makes me feel better knowing I was not the only one becoming emotional over a darn computer.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39134 on: July 17, 2020, 12:50:00 am »
1 degree still at 9 am.  Going to be a beautiful sunny day.
After the wholesale delivery, I went on line to Woolies .  I checked the prices.  Most things were about 1/2 price and a few were more expensive.