Author Topic: Healthy (slightly) chocolate spread  (Read 4402 times)

Offline www.Tick of Yum.webs.com

• View Profile
Healthy (slightly) chocolate spread
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:05:50 am »
Healthy (slightly) chocolate spread

Inspired by my Razzella success - (raspberry version of a Nutella equivalent) I experimented some more - but trying to think of a slightly healthier way to go with the chocolate spread. 

I wanted to include Chia seeds.  What are Chia seeds?  They are amazing really, full of good stuff and they appear to make the food they are eaten with, low GI.  They are also useful because they taste of NOTHING - however, because they swell up, I needed to add another ingredient - I decided on orange zest and orange juice. 

Follow the ingredient list for the Chocolate Hazelnut Spread in the Everyday cookbook - except do not get the hazelnuts, but you will need 2 unwaxed oranges and 40g of chia seeds.

•   grind the chia seeds with the sugar.  You don't need to grind the sugar but as the chia seeds are light, grinding them together helps.  Grind on speed 8 for 20 seconds
•   Peel the zest off the oranges and add to the bowl.  Grind on speed 8 for 10 seconds.
•   you may need to stir the mixture slightly if it has formed a paste at the bottom.
•   Scrape down the sides and grind for another 10 seconds on speed 8
•   add the chocolate - grind for 6 seconds on 6
•   add the milk and butter AND the juice of the 2 oranges
•   cook at 50oC for 7 minutes on speed 4 (to better mix the liquid and the sugar)

NOTES:
1.   The mixture will be quite thick still, remember the chia seeds swell up.  If you think it is still too thick add some more orange juice and cook again for another minute on 50oC, speed 4
2.   this spread is a little gritty unless you scrape/grind the chia seeds and zest several times.  I don't mind the gritty texture myself
3.   in case you are doing a larger/double batch OR doing 2 above, REMEMBER not to let the mixture get too gluggy, you don't want to lock the blades in place while the engine is trying to turn them - buying new blades is not fun.  Just keep checking and stirring the paste down the bottom and blending for 5-10 seconds at a time and you'll be fine.
I cut down the sugar to 50g, but because I added the orange juice I didn't feel that it was enough - I suggest you keep to the 90g of sugar stated in the recipe

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy (slightly) chocolate spread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:19:56 am »
Sounds like you have put  bit of effort into coming up with this one Bernie, thanks for that.  Must pop over and have another look at your blog.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline www.Tick of Yum.webs.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:50 am »
.... Must pop over and have another look at your blog.

And you'd be welcome!!  ;D

Thanks Judy!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
Super effort again, thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:59 pm »
Yum. Looks great.

Have you thought about using seseme/pumpkin/sunflower seeds instead of nuts?