Author Topic: Best Cooked Mayonnaise  (Read 37243 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Best Cooked Mayonnaise
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:08:31 am »
This was originally my Mum's recipe and many would recognise it from days gone by. I've adapted it as it had a tendency to separate and was a little bit runny for my liking.

Add to  *:  

3 Tbs plain flour (changed from 2)
2 Tbsp dry mustard
2 heaped tsp salt
2/3 cup (150g) sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 eggs
1/2 cup (100g) oil
4 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
2 tsp lecithin (optional)

Mix on speed 3 for 30 seconds, then speed 6 for 30 seconds. Meanwhile, measure out 2 cups (410g) milk and 1 cup (230g) brown vinegar.  Add both slowly while continuing to mix on speed 2-3.
Cook on 90 degrees C for 30 minutes on speed 3. (changed from 15 - 20 and 80 to 90)

This is a very versatile mayonnaise. It's excellent in sandwiches and wraps and as a base for other salad dressings.

To make Coleslaw Dressing:
Mix mayo with some of the juice from a can of pineapple - add the pineapple to the coleslaw

Ranch Dressing
Mix equal parts mayo and sour cream. Add some chopped parsley and dill

Potato Salad Dressing
Mix equal parts with either sour cream or yoghurt and add some chopped gherkin and mint

Curried Salad Dressing
Mix equal parts with cream or sour cream and add 1 tsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp dry mustard

This should get really thick. If it's too runny, cook longer or just turn up to 100 and cook a further 3 minutes.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:32:48 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best Boiled Mayonnaise
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:21:23 am »
Thanks for this MJ. I'll use it over Christmas. Mum never made this one, hers was the condensed milk and vinegar and mustard.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »
Thanks for this MJ. I'll use it over Christmas. Mum never made this one, hers was the condensed milk and vinegar and mustard.
Thats what my mum used as well. Often she would go to the fridge to get the condensed milk to find my brother had eaten it and put the empty tin back in the fridge !!

Nice recipe MJ and sounds like it doesn't make a huge quantity. We don't use much mayo so I tend not to make my own as it would go off
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:57 am »
Actually, it makes quite a bit! Just over 3 cups.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:55 pm »
Thanks for the recipe, but is it really 1.5 tablespoons of salt?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Best Cooked Mayonnaise
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
Yep! You can reduce it, but it's not overly salty. It's quite a bit of mayo.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:43:24 am »
I just checked my original recipe from Mum, and I have made a mistake in the amount of salt. I just made another lot and, though it wasn't overly salty for me, it may be for others.
Her recipe said 2 heaped spoonfuls of salt. I changed this to 1 1/2 Tbsp as I thought that would be about right. But, I think it's meant to be 2 heaped teaspoons of salt.

Try it with that, then add more if needed! My family absolutely adore this mayo and it's lower fat than others.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline www.Tick of Yum.webs.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:46:38 am »
2 heaped teaspoons of salt.
Hi there - I have been asked to do salads (including potato and coleslaw) for a good friend's birthday - for 80 people!  Of course I wanted to make my own mayo (ever the opportunity to promote the thermomix!) but the logistics of making "proper" mayo for 10 kilos of salad was daunting - not to mention that I had seriously underestimated the ingredients I would have needed.

THANKS to your recipe I quickly whipped up over 4 litres of mayo - LOVELY!  And... it is delicious and perfect!!

Just a hint - I substituted 40 g of honey for the equivalent weight of sugar and it really was delicious!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:39:36 am »
Great effort Bee, bet you are sick of the sight of mayonnaise and salads after that mammoth task  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:45:27 am »
This is our favourite mayonnaise and I love it because it is cooked (not keen on raw eggs). It is tangy and delicious. I halve the recipe (using two small eggs) and it makes two jars and lasts us about two weeks. Thank you meganjane for sharing this yummy recipe :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline www.Tick of Yum.webs.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:34:46 am »
bet you are sick of the sight of mayonnaise
Actually?  It was SOOOO easy!   nearly 3 hours Thermy time, but only 10 minutes MY time!  it is now the mayo of choice in our house!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »
So glad it's a hit.
I like the idea of the honey instead of sugar. I use this to make so many different things such as Tartare Sauce, Coleslaw dressing and I even add it to Creamy Chicken dishes. It's just the best.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:05 am »
hi meganjane
i made this yesterday as i was really interested to try a mayo that is cooked and not raw.
all i can say is yummm..  it is very nice, and it made heaps! it tastes just like a commercial mayo i use to buy. i had no brown vinegar so i used white and it turned out nicely.
how long do you think this will keep in the fridge?
thanks for another great recipe
Emma from Victoria

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 02:53:40 am »
Could someone please let me know how thick this is - a spreading consistency for sandwiches or pouring for coleslaw?

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 08:43:12 am »
Wonder, have another read of the recipe and MJ's comments below it.  I take it that it is thick enough to spread on bread and if you want to use it for coleslaw you thin it a little with pineapple juice. It sounds to me like you can make it whatever you want it to be with the addition of sour cream, yoghurt or pineapple juice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.