Author Topic: Baf's Chicken in Varoma with all the variations.  (Read 199607 times)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
Re: Baf's Chicken in Varoma with all the variations.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:29:50 pm »
What about the chicken flattened and rolled around a filling and then steamed, served with rice/potatoes and veg.
(recipe is on here somewhere) It's one of our favourites, no end of things you can stuff in the chicken.
Not had it for a few weeks, must put on next weeks list.

Chicken Ballotines Zan?
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=879.0;topicseen

Judy yep that's the sort of thing. I made that italian mix once and it was really nice, from memory there was leftovers of the stuffing too!

I basically pound a piece of chicken (breast or thigh, thighs make nice little ones that don't take that long to cook) then put whatever as the filling, - ham and cheese, spinach and feta, sundried tomato and feta (dd1's 2 favourite things), mushrooms and cheese, tomato and olive etc, roll up and place in foil parcels. Put potatoes or rice in the basket and water in the bowl and the chicken parcels in the varoma. Cook on varoma for 25 mins, adding veg to the varoma with 10 mins to go.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 06:28:08 am »
Thanks Zan. I've added it too the recipe as I think it fits well there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:42:52 am »
We had this tonight and really enjoyed it. We have lots of the yummy sauce left over. Any suggestions for how to use it up?
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:50 am »
I've used it with pasta and it was nice.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:28:18 pm »
that would be quite nice - penne, steamed/cooked chicken, pumpkin, spinach, tomatoes, herbs (and a glass of wine)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 03:40:42 am »
I can't believe I waited so long to try this!
I made the original version, and it was delicious. I had too many vegies for the varoma tray, so put some in with the chicken. I love making all-in-one meals.
The cheese sauce was the best I have tasted, and I will try making the sauce on its own for cauliflower cheese. It should be even easier than the bechamel sauce with cheese from the EDC that I usually use.
I then used the leftover cream cheese to make the zucchini slice with cream cheese pastry (also from this site, not sure how to post a link). I have never made pastry before, but it was so easy (less than 3 minutes in the machine), and was easy to roll and tasted lovely.
Thanks, everyone, for such great ideas.
Sue
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 04:30:05 am »
I'm glad it's all going well. It makes you feel good when you can use things in the next recipe. eg the cream cheese.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 05:57:25 am »
Another variation is to completely swap chicken for fish. This is very good when you cook the fish in whole fillets then dice through the mix.  ;)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 05:22:56 am »
I'll confess I haven't tried this - in any form - yet.  Have no idea why.......just not got around to it.  I have a question however - why put the chicken in the larger part of the Varoma & the vegies in the top tray?  Don't the veg take longer than the chicken to cook (unless stuffed & rolled perhaps) & wouldn't you get more vegies in if you did it the othe way around.........Or have I completely misread it?  I'm looking for some all in one dishes to do a bit of a workshop with & want to put this on the list but need to understand it from all you experienced producers of this award winner.  Thanks

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 08:36:27 am »
Janeezee I don't see why you can't put it all in one and just make a hole through the centre to let the steam through as Jo does with her cashew/chicken/veg dish.
Perhaps it is so that you can see how the chicken is going, but then you would put it on the top shelf. As it is one of our first all in one meals I guess we have all done as Baf suggested. Once you know your machine you could do whatever you thought was the best.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:52 am »
Yeah - you just do it how you do it. I like slipping my tray of vegies on for not as long as meat and have found the top tray holds heaps enough vegies for this dish. It really makes a huge amount especially when you add pasta to it as well.  ;)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 02:19:37 pm »
Thanks Cookie & Nay Nay - guess I've just got to try it to find out........Trouble is with only 2 of us most of the time I don't want to make heaps & heaps - although DH can eat it up when I'm out at demo's rather than dial a pizza!!

Offline joolsmicra

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:52 pm »
really worked well, but needs more green veg.... white cauli, white potatoes, white chicken, white sauce....just a bit too white! lush though!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:47 am »
Well I'm finally going to try this for tonight's tea. I've read through the recipe a few times and thing I am ready to tackle it. Will let you know what we think later. Hopefully I can fit enough in to feed the 7 of us. Oh well if I can't we have sticky date pudding and ice cream for dessert anyway. Does this make a big feed? Faffa have you tried this?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:18 am »
Yep love it Dede just load up the varoma chock a block full with veg  ;D I steam chicken on bother layers and then fill them with veg on top  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!