Author Topic: Appealing soup for 2 & 4 yr olds?  (Read 16403 times)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
Appealing soup for 2 & 4 yr olds?
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »
Has anyone got any recommendations for a soup that would be popular for 2 and 4 year olds? I've tried a tomato soup from here posted by Aussie (which my husband and I thought was delicious) and the pumpkin soup from EDC, which I thought might appeal to them because its  a bit more plain, but no, they were not keen. I know its my fault, because I have rarely cooked them soups before TMX, but now I am keen to get the soup goodness into them!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Appealing soup for 2 & 4 yr olds?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:36 pm »
My kids have always liked the Chinese style chicken and corn soup. There are a couple of recipes here on the forum. I will try a link here and see if it works http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=414.0
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »
What if you made a soup like minestrone and added shaped pasta, like the alphabet, or animal shapes etc. I have seen dry pasta in different shapes.
Could encourage them to eat it while they are searching for the different shapes of pasta.
 Just a thought, it could work?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:35 am »
My ds loves soup, started early, always added pasta or rice to any soup.

He likes maddys vegetable, bacon & pasta soup & julie o,s famiky chowder, both on here.

Any chicken noodle soup or minestrone.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:59:15 am »
Good on you Halex for starting early. I should have, its just that my food processor was so rubbish and so small, it didn't seem worth the effort in the end for one meal for the 4 of us, so I would only make one soup each winter and then give up! But I will definitely persevere and give all these suggestions a go. I like the idea of the shaped pasta dede, and thank you for the link Emerald Sue, will give all these a trial and report back!

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:02:49 am »
I'm the same, never made soup preTM, DH and I not real soup lovers ourselves, (tho he asked the other night if TM could make pea and ham soup!!), but miss 5 developed a liking for soup at a friends Varoma demo we went to, and now loves soup - even takes it to school hot in her thermos food flask!!! She loves: the chickpea soup (from varoma demo), tomato soup, any chicken soup and pumpkin soup, Miss nearly 3 (who has to do whatever big sis does) has decided all those soups and a peppered steak 'soup' accident are the best, ans as for Miss 16mths, well she has had TM there for most of her little life and she. eats. ANYTHING!!! (I fully believe it is because she has had so much more flavoursome food as a "learner eater"  :) ) So hang in there and keep trying, the little people may surprise you once they get used to the idea!!! :D
:D

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:14:04 am »
My DS doesn't like soup either. He is funny with food and texture. I am making cream of chicken from MOTM tonight and adding some mushrooms. If he doesn't like it, there is always baked beans in the cupboard  :D
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:51:08 am »
That is so great to hear astarra, I am actually 4 months pregnant and already thinking how much more healthier this bub will be eating (even though I tried to make my meals healthy preTM), and I am already thinking how easy it will be to whiz up a bit of extra left overs and chuck it in ice cube trays for the bub-such a time saver. Also I am actually having my Varoma demo tonight, so will be able to try out the chickpea soup on my  littlies. I like the baked beans plan B, DizzyGirl! Sometimes I find it so disappointing, especially if I think its delicious, when my kids won't eat something I've made for them!! (But less disappointed now I have TM as 1. it took less effort, and 2. it really is delicious!)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 06:58:05 am »
Bubbles, I used to get upset if DS didn't eat it, but now I just have a back up plan. I still offer it to him even when I know he doesn't like in the hope that his tastes have changed. The rule in our house is "Try it or go hungry". Sometimes I think DS has decided he doesn't like something without trying it.
As long as DH and I like and appreciates it.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:15 am »
Success! With : http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1657.msg14700#msg14700
I hope my link works (first try) but its the Minestrone Soup replacement for EDC book.
I did as dede suggested and added dinosaur pasta for my DS2 and teddybears for my DD4, and also I put it in cups with spoons, rather than bowls and called it "Pasta Animals" rather than the dreaded 's' word (soup!) and they ate it very willingly!
I had tried the chicken and corn suggestion last weekend, which I'm sure they would have loved but both claimed they didn't like soup, so I think next time I'll make it, I'll add kids pasta again, and serve it up in cups and called it "Pasta Animals with chicken"!
Anyway I am slowly making progress! Thanks everyone for your help :)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:43:35 am »
Bubbles I am so glad your children liked the "Pasta Animals".
Being a parent we have to think on our feet and rename things often.

DS loved the Cream of Chicken Soup. I also had some turkish bread which he loves and told him he can only eat the turkish bread if he dips it in his soup. Worked a treat, he ate 2 bowls of soup  :D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:31 am »
My kids love any soup with chicken in it ie cream of chicken, chicken and Vegie, chicken and corn- you get the idea. They also like the minestrone from the EDC and it's a great way to use up leftover vegies as you can chop them up as finely as you want to disguise stuff they don't like and keep those vegies that they may like a bit chunkier ie identifiable. For some reason,  pumpkin soup is never a winner with them- I love it but I thnk it has to grow on them. Basically, any soup where you can use soup pasta ie small pasta shapes seems to always go down well with kids.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:30 am »
For some reason,  pumpkin soup is never a winner with them- I love it but I thnk it has to grow on them.

Change the name to Halloween soup. Maybe they could wear a witches hat or you could paint their faces to make it fun to eat?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:06 am »
Good idea CP! I'll do anything to get them to eat pumpkin soup- even do the can-can I I must!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »
Funny, mine love thenpumpkin, cauliflower or veggie soup (buy the veggie soup pack from the supermarket and follow pumpkin recipe). They love pasta generally, but dislike minestrone. They will also eat broccoli soup, but no one except DH and I liked the celery soup I converted from Jamie Oliver. oh, they also like the potato and leek soup from EDC and a bacon and potato soup from recipe community. Good luck, soup is great as a veggie hit in the winter time.