Author Topic: Homemade Milo (GF DF)  (Read 122729 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 12:22:22 am »
This is one recipe that I wouldn't have to fell guilty for when sprinking over icecream  ;) :-*
Wonder how it would go on toast - thin spread of butter with this sprinkled on top - instead of 100 & 100's.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
Wonder how it would go on toast - thin spread of butter with this sprinkled on top - instead of 100 & 100's.

Like your thinking Cathy79  ;)

I must admit I was a bit sus on the recipe and how it would hold up in a drink as DD is reasonably hooked on milo at the moment.  BUT as I sit her typing I'm actually sipping a hot cup of homemade milo and quiet impressed. A little gritty and finding myself chewing as I drink, only because I keep stirring it  :-))  I did actually grind the nuts for 30 seconds until I nearly had a paste  :o but it powdered up nicely when the cocoa and rapadura sugar were added.

I think this will pass though  ;D  And am lucky enough that most things that come out of tmx she is wrapped that I could make it in there so is willing to embrace it.  ;D

Thanks Cathy  :-* :-* :-* :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 01:42:44 pm »
Hope DD likes it - I keep mine in the original milo tin, and I think that helps.

Obviously nuts won't dissolve the same way milo does, but it still works really well I think.  Nice sprinkled on homemade yoghurt for chocolate yoghurt as a "special treat".  And in pikelets or pancakes instead of some of the sugar.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:49 pm »
They're all very good ideas Cathy. DD is generally pretty good if it's come out of the Tmx, so will see.... Test tomorrow! On top of that have just swapped her onto soy milk as she's been complaining of her tummy hurting for some time now and seems to go when we limit her dairy intake. Once I explained how it should be better for her tummy she's agreeable and I think actually feels a little special. So I'll take a similar approach with this  ;) :-))

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »
This sounds delicious - and it also sounds as though your kids are eating/drinking it as fast as you can make it. But if it does hang around, I'd like to suggest you store it in the fridge. The good unsaturated fats in the seeds and nuts are very fragile and can go rancid quite quickly. Rancid oils have lots of free radicals buzzing around and are not generally good for your health. I store all open nuts and seeds in jam jars in the fridge (or even the freezer) to keep them fresh longer.

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:12 pm »
Sorry Cathy - just realised you said to store it in the fridge :-))

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 02:34:53 am »
No problem Anne - at least it's hard to miss now - and you've explained the reasons very well.

When you say all seeds in the fridge - does this include when they are whole, or just when they are minced up like this recipe?

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:08 am »
Ohhhh I made the mistake tonight of tasting a spoonful when I was showing it to Mum.... I can see that I'll eat most of the batch  :o :-)) It's so yummy and I'm easily convinced that it's "healthy" for me  :D :D

DD wasn't overly impressed this morning but I'll work on her. Maybe wean her on it with 50/50 blend first.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:31 am »
Made this tonight. Kids love it! I added a little extra sugar to sweeten it to their taste and used a random combination of nuts from the pantry.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:17 am »
So i made this today - thought it needed more cocoa on first taste - so added an extra half cup, but after the first glass of "milo" (with milk) had sat for a bit it was actually just right how it started, so I made a half batch to make it up to 1.5 batches of "original" recipe.  But now, my question is - how long will this last in the fridge.  My eldest is suspected to be allergic to nuts so until he finishes getting tested he wont be having any and my youngest is only 13 months, so probably wont be having too much really either (although should be ok from the allergy perspective).

my verdict on the recipe - very tasty - and a good substitute for milo - which is great cause there were 3 things i miss from my pre gluten intolerant days, bbq sauce (woolies home brand IS gluten free though so finally found one brand), bread (actually have a reasonable recipe (non TMX) but takes 2+ hours to bake - and should try the gluten free TMX one sometime), and milo (which it seems I have just found a good substitute for).

Thanks

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31:40 am »
Jules, glad you like it.  We go through a batch in about two weeks, but it should last about 2 months in the fridge. 

A few suggestions for using it.
- Sprinkled over icecream or chopped fresh fruit
- In custard instead of cocoa
- Blend up fresh banana and milo for chocolate banana custard
- or frozen banana for chocolate ice-cream
- mixed in yoghurt
- sprinkled over cereal or porridge in lieu of cocoa pops
- add to pikelet/pancake mixture before cooking for chocolate pikelets

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »
Must make this again. DD is gluten sensitive and I hadn't even thought to check the Milo ingredients for gluten, but that would now make sense that she has belly aches after having milo  :-)).

She wasn't overly keen on this milo originally, but is very accepting of alternatives once she realises the other options hurt her tummy.

Love those suggestions Cathy  :-*

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 02:10:00 pm »
Yep Nesquik is gluten free - but it is not really a milo substitute :)

And good ideas, I just have to be careful that it does not go in things DS1 will want - at least not while he is around anyway

DS2 is going to try it in the morning.  Despite being skin tested for peanut allergy I did not want to try different nuts (o peanuts) at night.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:19:13 pm by ~ - Jules - ~ »

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
Really sorry for not replying sooner Cathy - I have had lots of intermittent problems with my internet.

I definitely keep all open packet of nuts and seeds in the fridge. Unopened packets should be OK, but you can't really be sure how the shops etc have stored them re light and heat.

If I buy in bulk and think I might not use them for a few months, I put them in the freezer.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 05:13:18 pm »
Thankyou SO much for this - I am really looking forward to trying it. Milo is about the only Nestle thing we have in teh house and I am so glad I may have a (far superiour) alternative that the kids may actually drink!