Author Topic: Using the butterfly to stop meat shredding?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Using the butterfly to stop meat shredding?
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:45 am »
I read in a post last night (I think it was a beef casserole recipe but can't quite remember) that if you put in the butterfly when doing the meat section of a dish, the meat can't get stuck under the blades and therefore it won't shred. Does anybody know if this works for all meat or just tougher cuts of beef etc? I was going to make the honey soy chicken tonight so was thinking I might try it with that. Does anybody use this technique on a regular basis? 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using the butterfly to stop meat shredding?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:53 am »
I've used it Brumington but not on a regular basis.  I don't have a lot of problems with meat shredding (although I did in the early days) and I make sure I give it a good stir with a spatula when adding around the blades and again when adding the liquid.  I think chicken in particular loves to cling to the blades if added to hot sauteed onions and cooked a while before any liquid is added. I've had more success adding the cold chicken and cold liquid together - the liquid allows the chicken to keep moving and not so likely to grab onto the blades.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:49:37 am »
 i think  :-)) the honey soy chicken dish is the only meat dish i do in the TM bowl , never any problems with the  shreding
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline JAM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:00 am »
My first attempt at chicken in the bowl ended up in it shredding quite a bit.  I did stop a few minutes in and attach the Butterly hoping it would help but can't say whether it made much difference or not.

The best advice I received was to add chicken after the liquids so it can just swim around and not get caught under blades.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:10 am »
From memory Tenina pops her chicken in for the last few minutes. It cooks and doesn't shred then.
I actually grill my chicken and pour the sauce or whatever over it. The mob prefer it that way.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/