Author Topic: Curry Apple Beef Braise  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
Curry Apple Beef Braise
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:18 am »
Curry Apple Beef Braise

Serves 4

500g blade steak, trimmed of fat
1 tbspn plain organic flour
1/2 tspn each organic sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 onion
1 green apple
1 cup water
1 tbspn apple cider vinegar
1 tspn rapadura sugar
1/2 tspn organic curry powder

Chop the apple and onion in the thermomix on speed 5 for a 4-5 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the meat) and mix on speed 3 for a 8-10 seconds until combined. Arrange the meat in a greased dish, pour over the mix, cover and bake in moderate oven for 2 hours.

Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.

(for photo, you can go to this link ....sorry I can't get them up here very well)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1867217801337&set=o.90888828646&theater

members' comments

JD - I am absolutely wrapped with it.  I tweaked it slightly and did cook it in the thermomix.
I only used 250 gms blade steak (cut into 3cm cubes) for the 2 of us then decided to use all other quantities and add some vegies at the end to save time making mash or rice.

My method - chopped apple and onion 2 sec/speed 5.  Mixed the remaining items in except for the meat as stated (did add 1/2 tspn beef stock powder) then added the meat and cooked it for 30 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.  Added 3 medium sized diced potatoes, 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery, a handful of frozen beans and cooked a further 30 mins.  In hindsight, I should have checked after 15-20 mins because the potato did disintegrate but it was so delicious it didn't matter.  Will cut the cubes 3cm next time (did them 2cm this time).  The stew thickened up beautifully without any extra cornflour. We got 2 serves with 1 small serve to take around to Mum.

Amy - It was very easy and mum said the flavours were great. However she did say that a different cut of meat might have been better because the blade steak was a bit chewy. Apart from that, great recipe.

JuliaC83 - Everyone enjoyed this meal - very child friendly. Next time, I might increase the curry powder to 1 teaspoon for a stronger taste (personal preference). I followed Judy's method and cooked it all in the TMX, adding just carrot and celery for the last part. Served with brown rice.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:16:13 am by judydawn »
Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Curry Apple Beef Braise
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:43 am »
yummo! thanks for this recipe, just what I was after  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:38 am »
you're welcome ! it sounds weird, it looks weird when you prep it.....but trust me, it turns out beautiful and tastes even better !! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:25 am »
Certainly does look good Sonan.  Have you not tried to cook the whole dish in the TMX?  It could be done I'm sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:38 am »
never thought of that ! I don't cut the steak up, I just leave it as whole pieces.....I should experiment with it cut into pieces ! :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Mmmmm sounds good
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:21:54 am »
CP, thanks for putting this one on your list of favourites recently.  I did have it printed out 'to do' but hadn't got there yet. Now that I have tried it, I am absolutely wrapped with it.  I used all 'normal ingredients' not organic and of course I tweaked it slightly and did cook it in the thermomix.
I only used 250 gms blade steak (cut into 3cm cubes) for the 2 of us then decided to use all other quantities and add some vegies at the end to save time making mash or rice.
My method - chopped apple and onion 2 sec/speed 5.  Mixed the remaining items in except for the meat as stated (did add 1/2 tspn beef stock powder) then added the meat and cooked it for 30 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.  Added 3 medium sized diced potatoes, 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery, a handful of frozen beans and cooked a further 30 mins.  In hindsight, I should have checked after 15-20 mins because the potato did disintegrate but it was so delicious it didn't matter.  Will cut the cubes 3cm next time (did them 2cm this time).  The stew thickened up beautifully without any extra cornflour. We got 2 serves with 1 small serve to take around to Mum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:49 am »
I made this last night for my mum and SD. It was very easy and convenient since I was going out to work, and mum said the flavours were great. However she did say that a different cut of meat might have been better because the blade steak was a bit chewy.

Apart from that, great recipe :)

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
Everyone enjoyed this meal - very child friendly  ;)
Next time, I might increase the curry powder to 1 teaspoon for a stronger taste (personal preference).

I followed Judy's method and cooked it all in the TMX, adding just carrot and celery for the last part. Served with brown rice :)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014