Author Topic: Hello from Perth, Western Australia  (Read 6831 times)

Offline monipod

• View Profile
Hello from Perth, Western Australia
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:25:13 pm »
Hello everyone!

Am I glad that there's a forum for Thermomix :) I am seriously contemplating purchasing one this week after hosting a demonstration today. I am overall very impressed with what it can do but obviously the price tag is what makes me (and most people ) think twice about it.

I am a foodie with some flare for cooking and experience in making reasonably complex dishes. I am also a working Mum with two lovely kids and a husband (he's lovely too). I love taking time making good food but there are days when I only have 30 minutes or less to get a meal going so I felt a Thermomix would be just the trick.

I'm curious to hear from people who are intermediate to advanced domestic cooks (without Thermomix :)) and cooking professionals. Has the Thermomix been a good purchase for you?

I'm also interested to hear people's views on the Thermomix being a 'cop out' or taking the joy or 'craft' out of cooking. I feel the Thermomix will only facilitate me in making fabulous dishes in half the time, but love to hear of other's experiences.

Anyway, enough from a newbie :)

Look forward to participating here more.

Cheers,

monipod

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »
Hi MOnipod I am a Perth mumma of 2 boys. I love to cook and have only found the thermomix helps me to get things done in the kitchen and it hasn't taken away the passion or love of cooking at all (I love it so much I became a consultant) I felt initially the same as you in that I loved to cook and didn't want to loose that. If I want to cook the 'old way' I still can. As for making a meal in 30 mins it is certainly your answer!! Go for it  :-*
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »
I'm a fairly advanced domestic cook - love to do pastry and baking.  I also have a business on the side teaching people to work with chocolate.

I've found the TMX to be an excellent tool in my arsenal - I can put together a ganache in a small percentage of the time it took previously and it is perfectly emulsified.  Choux paste, bread doughs - it can't be beat.  I'm experimenting a little with fudge - haven't tried caramel yet.

It certainly hasn't taken the joy or craft out of making things - if anything it's added. 

It's the perfect toy - what else can I say - girl's gotta have her toys.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:45 am »
For me, one of the best things about the TMX is that while it is cooking, you can do other things.   You know you have say 5 mins.  You can hang out the washing ,  check the kids home work etc.  It will let you know when it is finished.   It is easy to clean and rather than cramping your style it will open up a whole world of possibilities.   No,  I don't work for TMX.   Yes I would probably say I am an experienced cook.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:00 am »
Hi monipod, welcome to the forum.  I am a follow-the-recipe type cook so I certainly would call myself just an ordinary cook who loves to have something different every day - certainly not a meat and 3 vegie type cook. The only time I go back and do my favourites is if I am in a hurry and haven't got time to go through the thousands of recipes I have or if I am having visitors I will not make them an untried dish. DH never knows what is going to be served up to him from one day to the next and therefore has to ask ' what is this one'.   I love nothing more than finding recipes and converting them for the TMX - don't have too many failures in this regard. 30 minute meals are certainly possible if you are organised. Menu plans are a great idea, especially for working mums. Don't think of the price tag, think of what a wonderful help in the kitchen the TMX will be. You can't put a price on love.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:04:38 am »
I am overall very impressed with what it can do but obviously the price tag is what makes me (and most people ) think twice about it.
I'm also interested to hear people's views on the Thermomix being a 'cop out' or taking the joy or 'craft' out of cooking. I feel the Thermomix will only facilitate me in making fabulous dishes in half the time, but love to hear of others experiences.
Monipod

I too was impressed and thinking thrice about the cost... but have had my TMX  since November and I have found that I use it everyday probably three or four times. I now make all sorts of things I wouldn't have contemplated before  *: eg breakfast cereal from scratch. we love our fruity dreams, making my own spice mixes. TMX also does a great curry etc, etc,. I have found that the TMX has reduced my grocery bills and there is certainly a lot less wastage in my household. The TMX is certainly not a cop-out and hasn't taken any joy out of cooking. ;D

Welcome to the forum such a great resource for recipes and information. Hope that you will contribute some of your recipes too. :)

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:07 am »
Hi monipod, I too am from the Perth area (Chittering) no kids so that is not an excuse but I think I was a good cook BT ( before TMX).
I have just received my Bimby and am experimenting with doing my regular things with the TMX to see if it lives up to its name. So far very good. I hope to be adding a few converted recipies to the forum. I plan to be a consultant so one of my aims is to have an answer for every question I might get on if the TMX is as good as or better than some other appliance or for some function. I am being very critical but still it is coming out right up there and mostly ON TOP. I find that sometimes I need to do it different but that is the challenge as mostly it is faster. One thing it has no competition is cooking and stiring as needed for puddings, risotta and sauces.

As I am a newby too I am still finding out things it will do. Your situation is probably the best example of a real justification for having one.
dj

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:40 am »
Hi and welcome!

Ian Parmenter, who is a chef and passionate foodie, has written a testimonial about Thermomix here.

I'm a 'medium' skilled cook and I just love the versatility I have with my TMX. I'm also lazy, so would put off making something that requires great attention. Not anymore!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Kali Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:12:43 am »
My partner and i are chefs and we love it.. It doesnt only make our meal when we are short on time but it aids us in components of other more complex dishes.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:43:22 am »
Wow, I think Head office should see all testimonials for TMX.

I can only add mine. I love cooking, probably more on the baking side than any other. Having said that I don't use my TMX for cakes or egg whites as I feel I can do them better other ways. I have never made so much jam or sauces since I've had my machine and I now make 95% of our bread.  We were at Cash and Carry the other day (I'm a Perthie too) and DH was going down the aisle saying 'oh we make that, and than and that'. It made me realise just how much I do with the TMX.
I love it more now than ever.(have had it 14 months)It is used 2-3 times most days and often more.
We are retired so the outlay was a serious consideration, but I am not at all sorry.

If you wanted to chat personally it looks as though we are having another Perth get together this month and you would be most welcome. Check it out in Chit Chat.

Must stop raving. Go for it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 12:29:22 pm »
Although cost saving on food bills is noticeable ,  our biggest saving has been on our bottled gas.   Before TMX we used a bottle every 5 weeks.  We now buy a new bottle every 12 weeks.   Our elec. bill has increased a little but not enough to wipe out the savings on the gas.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 12:37:22 pm »
That speaks for itself Chookie, what a difference.  My electricity bill is higher too but then that could also be because my computer is on from the moment I wake until very late at night not because of what the TMX is using  :-)) :-)) :-))  I like to be able to pop into my room at anytime to see what is happening on the forum or if any emails have come in. It only gets turned off during the day if I go out.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline monipod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Wow! Thanks so much for all your responses. Most helpful in making my decision as I'm convinced that the TMX will help me try out more complex pastry recipes etc. which I otherwise just think is too time consuming. I can't wait to put the order in :)

Great to see fellow Perthites here and thanks for letting me know about the get-together cookie1. I'll look it up in the Chit Chat area.

Thanks once again!

monipod :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:14 am »
Welcome monipod. 

I'm just your average home cook, but think that the machine CAN certainly be VERY useful in the home kitchen, IF you use ALL the facilities.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.