Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507244 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #780 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:15 am »
Have fun Gert.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #781 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:42 am »
I've recently read Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver... Fantastic read. The story and character really spoke to me. I wrote a review on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/524638548 do check it out ;-)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:12 am »
I finished Gone Girl yesterday, really enjoyed it but need something a bit lighter now! Started "How it All Began" by Penelope Lively, seems promising.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #783 on: March 12, 2013, 12:31:22 am »
I am halfway through Marina Endicott's Good to a fault. Thoroughly recommend it. Enjoyable read and thought provoking as well. Check it out!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:28 am »
I've just started the new Camilla Lackberg.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 12, 2013, 09:56:13 am »
I have been so busy downsizing I have not had much time to read so I am still on my AA Gill which is hilarious but have Amanda's  Bee Wilson and the second book of Edward St Aubyn lined up.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #786 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:18 am »
Gert - it was a shame we never caught up again during Writers Week - hope you had a great time.
I'm halfway through De Courcy's The Fishing Fleet - it's fascinating, but a little repetitive.
How is the St. Aubyn?  My friend tells me the family in the books (basically his family) is quite toxic.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:09 am »
Finished Gone Girl, and am 3/4 of the way thru "The unlikely pilgrimage of harold fry" which is very light but thoroughly enjoyable.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:46 am »
Gert - it was a shame we never caught up again during Writers Week - hope you had a great time.
I'm halfway through De Courcy's The Fishing Fleet - it's fascinating, but a little repetitive.
How is the St. Aubyn?  My friend tells me the family in the books (basically his family) is quite toxic.

Did you hear him? Very interesting interview. Toxic would be an understatement. Yes he confessed the Melrose family was based on his. British Aristocracy.OMG ! 

Everything was out of my control so just did as I was told and was a cooperative guest!

We can let loose at the forum fest !

You must read the first of St Aubyn's  book to be hooked . Not for everyone but fascinating none the less. Kathy Lette was there with someone who knew him well according to me and the kissy facing going on.

I wonder if Steven Poole is a "Johnny One Note"? He went on and ..........on. Loved Fuchsia. ??. Brilliant . I felt some of the  interviewers were a bit self important but goes with the territory. Had lots of interesting and intelligent conversations with other book lovers.

Adelaide did it self proud . Wonderful experience. So civilised. Adelaide Rocks!

I have been invited back as a guest next year but wonder if I can get there and stay in town by myself without causing offence. Tricky. I would have loved taking in more of the  festival.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #789 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »
Just finished Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. I enjoyed it very much. I probably should have had break and read something by a different author as I read three Lisa Genova novels in a row.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #790 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:26 pm »
Just finished The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.  Was a great book. Haven't read any of hers before and will be reading another definitely.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »
I'm not doing too well with reading Gone Girl... I seem to be more into "lighter" reads at the moment.

I've just read The Birth House by Ami Mckay, and The Other Daughter by Lisa Gardner, both of which I enjoyed.
I'm now reading When We Wake by Karen Healey which is a young adult novel set in future-Melbourne. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:04 pm »
I am reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.
I am really enjoying it and have always  loved her style of writing.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 13, 2013, 01:07:43 am »
DD has just finished that MF and given it to me to read. She enjoyed it too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 13, 2013, 01:16:29 am »
Glad to hear your DD enjoyed it cookie.
 I really like Jodi Picoult  but have had a break as had read too many. I think you can overkill on an author but I love her writing and her research is amazing.
I think you will enjoy this one too.  :D