Author Topic: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle  (Read 224688 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:47 am »
That sounds very organised Elle.  I'm not doing it at the moment as my sugar levels were high so I'm concentrating on bringing them down moreso than losing weight.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »
That is certainly organised.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:53 pm »
Good one Elle.  I have been off5.2 for a few months while other health issues were sorted but now on again.   There is a new app which is excellent.  It is divided into Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It is from Woman's day and $3 something.  It is just what I wanted as the calories are all counted and all recipes are arranged from least calories to most , in each catagory .

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13:28 pm »
We have been on and off this diet for the past couple of months.  Finding it harder during the winter months as we both crave more hearty meals, however have found an excellent minestrone recipe that comes in at under 200 calories and it really fills us up.

I find it easier to do this diet in summer and love making rice paper rolls filled with just salad and maybe a dab or two of hummous for lunch (I don't make Asian inspired rolls, you can fill them with anything!).  My biggest query is breakfast, I hate fussing at that time of morning so generally just have a piece of fruit.  Chookie, what is the app you found?  Might have to look at that option.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2014, 10:47:51 pm »

Marina,  this is what the app looks like.
Type in 5.2 , in app .  It is by Woman. 
I agree with you that this diet is easier in summer. There are lots of easy breakfast meals.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:34 pm »
Thanks Chookie ... I forgot you had i"things" whereas I am on Android!  Very frustrating, however this has given me some ideas so I'll look around in Android and see if I can find something that I think will work for me.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2014, 12:23:12 am »
What would you like, and I could send a couple of recipes.  I am making Spiced lentil and carrot soup for lunch.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:58 am »

Going to make in TMX.  20 mins on 100 should be ok.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:06 am »
That sounds yummy.  Soups are so good at this time of year.  I'm not up in Guildford just now so can't do any cooking, but have copied this down for next weekend's cooking session.

What I really want is a magic wand to wave around and everything will be done (and the dishes washed afterwards).  Breakfasts are my problem, although I find I am getting used to having a piece of fruit so maybe I should keep with that, it means I can have a more substantial / lunch dinner and that seems to work.  Perhaps I am grasping at straws, as I usually do, believing that there is something easier / simpler just around the corner.  Maybe I should be satisfied with my lot as it is and not complain!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2014, 04:26:32 am »
Marina,  we all would like that magic wand.!  Had this for lunch and it was nice.  Just over 1 cup,  so not much.  Dinner is 75 g of roast lamb and green veggies. 

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2014, 06:04:01 am »
Chookie, the soup sounds good and very easy. I will have a look at the app. I make a roasted  tomato soup and also same recipe without roasting that us around 70 cals. I find if I am organised before hand. I will stick to 5:2 day. Hate getting up in the morning and having to weigh food and count calories, if I haven't pre planned the day.

We usually start the 5:2 day with a small serve of porridge with a splash of milk and 1/2 cup raspberries. Also have a macchiato using 15 mls milk. Starts the day well and keeps us full until lunchtime.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:40 am »
ElleG, every 2 day I start with 1 weetbix and 1/2 cup milk.  Don't have to think!  5 days,  either egg on SD crumpet or grain bread or porridge .

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
I'm not that convinced that any 'diet' will work long term. The period of fasting will cause the body to go into ketosis, where fat is burned instead of glucose, the preferred food.  This puts incredible stress on the body, which is okay if you're healthy. It's a fairly drastic way to lose some weight, but once a target is reached, it's better to to find a way of eating that you can continue for life.

I like the low carb/high fat way of eating that is promoted by Christine Cronau. I do lower carb, high fat, still eating my sourdough bread and the occasional cake treat. I don't eat any takeaways, but make my own versions at home.

Fat is vital in your diet, as long as it's good fat - saturated (tallow, coconut oil, lard, poultry fat) and monounsaturated (avocado, olive) and  other oils that have the right ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 (walnut, macadamia).

I refuse to count calories as I don't believe its the right way to lose weight. Reduce simple carbs - sugar, starchy foods, processed bakery goods and increase fibre and fat and you'll maintain your weight. This is the way I've maintained for over a year, now.

I still bake cakes and biscuits for DH, but most often using wholemeal flour and more natural sugars such as rapadura and maple syrup. Occasionally, I'll make more traditional cakes and biscuits, but I'll only have a taste. I find I don't actually like them.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2014, 10:52:23 pm »
MJ,  there are so many opinions on 'diets' and ways of eating that each one has to find what works for them.  This works for me .  The 5 days of normal eating are a great opportunity to eat healthy foods.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
MJ, I use the 5:2 diet mainly to maintain a healthy weight. I do agree counting calories is not necessarily the best way to lose weight, as it is to easy to fall off the wagon, and stress over every mouthfull. And I hate counting calories. But, two days is not much.

We eat what we perceive as very healthy for other 5 days.  Low sugar, small serves of meats, legumes, nuts, lots of veggies etc.  mainly GF. I suppose what we eat is JERF (just eat real food) DH can drop a kilo a week, if he does the 2 days. I lose nothing!  After losing about 20kgs a few years ago, this is the easiest way to maintain a healthy weight and still enjoy food for me.