Author Topic: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle  (Read 224701 times)

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:27 pm »
I’ve just watched the BBC2 Horizon programme “Eat, fast and live longer” in which Michael Mosley explores the benefits of periodic fasting on health and weight.  Well I’m sold! I’m fed up with popping pills to control cholesterol, blood pressure etc, so just checking with the doc that it’s okay to get up and running (so to say!) and DW and I will get started in the next day or so.

In a nutshell (generally not many calories, but they’re difficult to chew!) you eat “normally” for five days and then fast for two; however on your fast days girls are allowed about 500 calories and boys about 600 so it shouldn’t be too onerous a regime to follow. Apparently this makes you body go from “growth” mode to “repair” mode and this brings the benefits. Hopefully I’ll be able to realise the weight and health benefits personally experienced by Michael.  :D

Therefore just thought I’d see if there are any like-minded souls out there who are doing or plan to do 5:2 and might be interested in sharing experiences – obviously using our Thermomixes to produce and share recipes for delicious, sub-500 calorie meals for the fasting days (lots of soup and steamed fish I think)  ;D.

If you have access to BBC iPlayer you can see the programme at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc or else visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549 for a summary. Another good link is http://schrokit.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/the-25-experiment

HAPPY FASTING :D

If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Re: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
Hi Rogizoja, I will investigate this further  :) I have been reading different research that definately does not support the 6 small meals a day and encourages fasting at times. I recently completed the HCG protocol where it is a VLC (very low calories) diet and found heaps of meals that were filling and tasty. The TM is our friend!

I would like to loose a bit more weight, but it is the health benefits that would make me try this regime. Currently, I eat GF, no added sugar, no additives, preservitates etc, and am interested in eating more raw foods. My DH eats bread, but otherwise is happy with whatever I cook.

I am pleased fasting allows so many calories - two days of water only each week would not be sustainable. Good luck if you decide to proceed with it. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »
Interesting subject girls guys.  I read this topic as 'eat fast and live longer' and as I am a fast eater, I thought I was in with a chance here LOL
Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:39:34 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »
I read it the same way JD, thinking How can eating  fast make you live longer. Lol
Interested in finding out more, will have a look at the links tomorrow. I use to fast years ago one day a week, liquids only.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »
Must say that got me laughing as well JD. i too am a fast eater but the only benefit I seem to get is an expanding middle :-\

(And by the way JD, Rogizoja is a boy, not a girl!!)  :-))
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:18 am »
Sorry Rogizoja, so many members now it is hard to remember which are which unless they have the little sex symbol alongside their avatar.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:26 am »
Thanks for the nudge JD, I've now done the "sex" thing for all to see  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:44 am »
Ah that's better, it makes things easier - we have been confused a few times with different members ;D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:12:42 am »
Rogizoja, count me in  ;D my DH will join as well. I would have loved to have seen the programm, but lots of info out there. Will try it and see if it's sustainable long term.

I thought I would follow the basic guidelines I used for the HCG protocol with Cyndi O'Meara on the fasting days. Two serves of 100g low calorie protein, 2 one cup serves of low calorie veggies ( white or green veggies), a few pieces of low calorie fruits, and lettuce or spinach and tomatoes free. So a meal Isa  plate sprinkled with rocket, a few cherry tomatoes, herbs , cooked veggies, topped with meat/chicken or fish. I used lots of spices and found it quite tasty. I do not want to be tied up counting calories and worrying about every bite.

I will start in September. Anyone else interested?

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:14 am »
Great ElleG :D I've just spoken with the doc who's given the go-ahead. So, Monday/Tuesday will be kicking off with the first two "fast" days - hopefully the start of a slimmer, healthier pair of us.  And thanks for the low-cal tips - will definitely be using these. We also love miso soup so I'm sure that will feature prominently, maybe with some prawns/skinless chicken/veg for added interest.

Happy 5:2ing. Let us know how you get on  :)

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »
This deffinately has me interested - just need to look into it abit more (ie what constitutes 500 calories!!!). Will follow the thread with interest and who knows may join you!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:51:47 am »
Interesting, sounds a  good plan.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
Talk about coincidence - opened the Saturday Daily Telegraph and there's the article by Michael Mosley splashed over the front page (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html) with sub-250 calorie recipes by Xante Clay further in (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9483381/52-diet-healthy-recipes-250-calories-or-less.html). After this kind of exposure I'm sure lots more people will be trying this approach to improving health and weight.   :D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 07:29:50 am »
Thanks Rog, good reading in the links,  ;D. Have saved the recipes.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:03 am »
Okay, second day of second 2 of the 5:2. I'm down 0.8Kg and DW down 1.0Kg so something must be working :o.  So far we've found the fasting days quite easy; being able to enjoy tasty low-cal meals (steamed fish, laksa, lots of green veggies, barley soup mix) really makes a difference (though today I've got a work team lunch at the local greasy spoon so don't know how I'm going to handle that  :-\). Having no real restrictions on the "5" days makes a huge difference on the "dieting" mindset - just doesn't seem like a diet - so we'll persevere.

Anyone else out there interested in joining the crusade??