Author Topic: Sturdy Peanut Butter Cookies  (Read 5775 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Sturdy Peanut Butter Cookies
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:07:30 pm »
Since I have had a couple of requests for this recipe, I'm posting it here also.  

It should work in the TMX but as I made a volume that was too large for it, I used my mixers.

Sturdy Peanut Butter Cookies
Good for shipping.

This recipe makes about 60 cookies depending on size.   I aim for 7 cm in diameter.

270 gm      butter, unsalted  softened (room temp)
170 gm      brown sugar            I used the Splenda/Brown Sugar baking mix.
170 gm      white sugar            I used the Splenda/Sugar baking mix.
280 gm      peanut butter            you can use smooth or chunky - I made my own, slightly chunky
2         eggs    medium
2 teaspoons   vanilla extract

Measure the next three ingredients into a separate bowl and whisk to blend.
400 gm      flour, all purpose
3/4 teaspoon   baking soda  (bicarb)
1/2 teaspoon   salt

Optional:  You can add either chopped peanuts or chocolate chips,  up to about 180 gm if you wish.

Put the softened butter and both sugars in the bowl of a mixer and beat until fluffy.
Add the peanut butter and beat until well blended.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract  and beat until blended.
Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture until smooth.
Add another third and beat again until the dough appears smooth and creamy.
Add the remaining third a little at a time - the dough will begin to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

If you are adding chopped peanuts or choc chips, add them now.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 177° C

Line baking sheets with parchment paper  or if you have Silpat sheets, use those.

With a small soup spoon or *disher, form the dough into 2.5 cm balls.  I scoop them roughly onto the sheet pans then roll each between my palms to for a ball.  

Place on the sheet pans about 5 cm apart.

Flatten the balls to about 1 cm thick (or a bit less) with a fork dipped in granulated sugar, forming a criss-cross pattern.

Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until they just show a touch of color around the edges.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I just pull the entire sheet of parchment off the sheet pan, allow the pan to cool and transfer another loaded sheet onto the pan.  
The cookies will pop right off the parchment when cool and  you can use it again, several times.

I have a glass with a "hobnail" bottom and I use this to flatten my cookies.  It is faster than using a fork but not everyone has one of these.  A friend, who makes huge batches of these cookies uses a round potato masher that leaves a waffle pattern on the cookies.

I've found this recipe can be doubled or tripled for more cookies, but I make multiple batches rather than one big batch if I need more than four times as many cookies.  

These cookies hold together when dunked in coffee or cocoa!

* A disher is an ice cream scoop, they come in various sizes from very small to very large.  

You can use different types of flour if you wish.  Whole wheat flour - you will have to use less because it absorbs more moisture.
Same with oat flour, although this does produce a lovely, tender cookie, not as sturdy as with regular flour.
I have not tried it with other flours but have been told that coconut flour will not hold together well using this recipe.

A photo of one of these cookies, 7 cm in diameter.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:02:44 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Sturdy Peanut Butter Cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:50 pm »
Andie - who could ever think that choc chips would be "optional"!!  ;D ;D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:47:40 am »
Andie - who could ever think that choc chips would be "optional"!!  ;D ;D

I'm allergic to chocolate - the kind in chips - but not to Dutch process cocoa so the only cookies I can eat are ones made with cocoa.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
Made these yummy biscuits yesterday, added white chocolate pieces. Mine where about 6cm when cooked and made 86. All packed up ready, and to keep dh out of them.
Funny thing is dh won't eat anything peanut butter, so I told him I had to chopped the peanut first in thermi. He loves them, well the 3 I let him eat. Thanks again for another great recipe. Cooked at 180 for 10 minutes.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:07 am »
They seem to get better the longer they are stored (if you can keep sneaky eaters out of them) and if they are tightly sealed.
I send some to a friend's son last year (he's in Japan, where peanut butter is scarce on the ground) and due to a quirk in the shipping, he did not get the package until mid-March.  He wrote to tell her that he celebrated St. Patrick's Day by eating a bunch of the cookies with Irish coffee and reported they were great.  His roommate wondered why the cookies were in a Christmas tin... :-))
No one mentioned that he hadn't gotten the package so I didn't know about it until after his mom told me how much he enjoyed the cookies.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »
Andie, these look fantastic! I love crunchy biscuits that can be dunked. Thanks for the recipe.

I also love your tip about removing the parchment with the cooked ones and sliding another piece on with the raw ones!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:33:57 pm by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand