Author Topic: Zucchini Brownies  (Read 47120 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Zucchini Brownies
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:28:49 pm »
Name of Recipe: Zucchini Brownies

Number of People: makes 24 2"x3" brownies

These little beauties have almost ½ a kilo of zucchini hidden in them.  Serve them completely cooled and your kids will never know they are eating veggies!!!

Ingredients:
1 egg
170g plain yogurt
110g olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
470g zucchini, roughly chopped
210g plain or wholemeal plain flour
30g baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup date sugar (or raw sugar)
80g rapadura (or another half cup of raw sugar)
100g chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preparation:

1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a 9”x13” pan.
2.  Add egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla to TMX bowl and whisk on speed 4 for 20 seconds. Don’t worry if it seizes up.  Set aside.
3.  Add zucchini to unwashed TMX bowl and grate for 10 seconds on speed 4 (scraping down the sides of the bowl after 5 seconds).
4.  Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, rapadura, and date/raw sugar into TMX bowl. Mix until blended – 20 seconds, reverse, speed 3.
5.  Add liquid mixture back into bowl & stir for 10 seconds, reverse, speed 3.
6.  Spread evenly into pan and sprinkle with choc chips (and nuts if desired).
7.  Bake for 40-50 minutes (note: these brownies are very moist even when fully cooked).

Tips/Hints:
Wait until the brownies are completely cool before eating.

Converted from a Debra Lynn Dadd recipe (Sweet Savvy Website).

members' comments

cathy79 -  I blitzed the zucchini a little more than in the recipe as I wanted to make sure it was as smooth as possible.  Didn't have the chocolate chips, so didn't bother with that step.  Also didn't have the baking soda (can't remember what that's supposed to do).  Easy Peasy! I cooked for 35 minutes and allowed to cool. On slicing it was beautifully moist and quite moussy.  Both girls gobbled them up.
Had a little too much mixture for the slice tin so put in 2 little ramekins and cooked.  Delicious little puddings, even while warm.

Snoozi - I really blitzed the zucchini but I didn't have any cocoa so used carob.. I am not a big fan of the carob taste (although I did use it in the last batch of chocolate nut spread and thought it was nice).  I don't like it in this but the kids are wolfing..

sabimby - baked it in a square tin, around 9 inches. I cooked it on 180oC for the 40 mins but it looked very wobbly so cooked it for another 10 or so mins, knife came out wet, cooked another 15 mins and still wet. The outside didn't burn though. Just wondering if the recipe needs to be edited to say that it should be moist and remove the part saying the skewer should come out clean??? Here I was thinking I'd cooked a dud (but a yummy dud!) however it sounds like others have had the same thing happen.

cathy79 - I cook mine until they "look" cooked on top, and spring back to touch. These freeze and defrost really well.  Don't forget they have yoghurt in them so do need to be kept in the fridge.

zeraa - Awesome. A bit to strong for the kids because I used dutch cocoa and dark choc. I used dates for half the sugar (the rest brown sugar as I had no rapadura) and they were good - I did them dry -Ii think they would have blended in better if I had soaked them in hot water foist as I usually do. I did a Spelt/rye/millet/buckwheat grain mix for the flour and did half beetroot and half zuchini. Very very yum. Beautiful brownie consistency and not too sweet.

ladybird - thanks so much for these, just made today and they are absolutely delish - DD (nearly 3) loved them and kept wanting more. they are healthy enough (with wholemeal flour) that I wouldn't actually mind, except that then she would think its ok to have limitless brownies!! I might cut down the choc chips next time to increase the healthy ratio..I did throw in a handful of fresh blueberries too and they were yummy.

em -  wow they are so moist and yummy, the kids love these and haven't a clue whats really in them ..haha thanks for the great recipe.

thermie crew - I loved the brownie recipe and couldn't taste the zucchinis at all but my children didn't like them - a big surprise!I think they were put off by the really moist texture. They'll eat zucchini slice though so can't complain!

Denzelmum - Made this last night without choc chip and walnut. Took some to work and got thumbs up from every one!  Very moist. Thanks, Chelsea.

Coops - BIG success and can't stop grinning each time my fussy kids go back for more, and more, and more, lol. If only they knew!!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:53:58 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Zucchini Brownies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:46:50 pm »
Thanks - that will trick the little buggers  :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:00:01 pm »
mmmm yum!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:05:38 pm »
Here we go again Thermomixer.  Your comment should read 'Thanks - that will trick the little darlings'. I will persist with these lessons until you admit you do actually like kids ;D ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:33:36 pm »
Thanks Chelsea...I love you  :-* :-* :-* not sure my kids would if they knew what our BIG plan was lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:34:42 am »
Here we go again Thermomixer.  Your comment should read 'Thanks - that will trick the little darlings'. I will persist with these lessons until you admit you do actually like kids ;D ;D ;D ;D

...darlings, darlings, darlings, ..... ahhhhhh - you little DAAAAAARLings
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:10:42 am »
Well done Thermomixer ;) ;) ;) - don't want you slipping up and calling new grandson a little buggar now, do we :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:16 pm »
Thanks Chelsea...I love you  :-* :-* :-* not sure my kids would if they knew what our BIG plan was lol

I think our big plan is working  ;) ;D ;)!  You (Kathryn) have put potato into cakes, I have put zucchinni into Brownies, Amanda has put chick peas into cookies and Thermomixer has put beetroot into everything!!!  ;D

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 01:42:11 am »

I think our big plan is working  ;) ;D ;)!  You (Kathryn) have put potato into cakes, I have put zucchinni into Brownies, Amanda has put chick peas into cookies and Thermomixer has put beetroot into everything!!!  ;D

Thank you to ALL of you. My kids have never eaten so many things that are so good for them and not complained
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:08:04 am by Very Happy Jan »
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:01 pm »
Don't you get a lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside VHJ when they tell you how much they LOVE what ever they are eating and you think to yourself every so sweetly...If only you knew what you were really eating you little darling! ROFL ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:54 am »
Not only for kids - MrsT is always being fooled - beetroot in everything !!!!!
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:09:54 am »
Don't you get a lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside VHJ when they tell you how much they LOVE what ever they are eating and you think to yourself every so sweetly...If only you knew what you were really eating you little darling! ROFL ;D

Actually I get a sense of smugness that I can still outsmart them !! Meanest mother in the WHOLE world. :D :D :D :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »
Made these tonight.  I blitzed the zuchini a little more than in the recipe, as I wanted to make sure it was as smooth as possible.  Didn't have the chocolate chips, so didn't bother with that step.  Also didn't have the baking soda (can't remember what that's supposed to do).  Easy Peasy!

I cooked for 35 minutes and allowed to cool.  On slicing it was beautifully moist and quite moussy.  Both girls gobbled them up.  DH spied the recipe so I think his verdict was biased as he thought he could taste the zucchini.  I couldn't, just a slight yoghurt taste.  So I took to the neighbours for an unbiased opinion.  They loved it and couldn't believe it had almost 1/2 kilo of zucchini in it.

Had a little too much mixture for the slice tin, so put in 2 little ramekins and cooked.  Delicious little puddings, even while warm.  If you like them as brownies, they could make a nice dessert.

5/5 for taste and simplicity.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:40:15 pm by judydawn »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »
Not only for kids - MrsT is always being fooled - beetroot in everything !!!!!
:o

Glad my parents never worked out those tricks Thermomixer... I've never enjoyed beetroot.  :P
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:10 am »
Don't know what you're missing - try it with chocolate
Thermomixer in Australia