Author Topic: French Mayonnaise  (Read 27240 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: French Mayonnaise
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:40 am »
Thanks for this recipe Frozzie.

If people are uncomfortable using raw eggs, they could try my Cooked Mayonnaise.

I'm always getting requests from family and friends to make it for them.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:59 am »
no problem and true megan and nothing against your recipe at all but I dont understand why people freak out about using raw eggs...peiople are getting way too freaky about food and being super sterilised...your body needs some germs people lol...if the eggs are fresh there is no problem and you know that people for generations have been eating them...

I used to be like alot are in oz, freaky about germs and the like and then I came to France (where people are more natural in that respect ie you dont find individual wrapped fruit, everything antibacterial, pasterised etc etc and even yes allow dogs in restaurants..;there is even a palace (luxurious hotel) in paris with michelan star chefs who cater to the clients dogs)..anyway I got quite sick, actually very sick, ended up in hiospital and spent 2 years on medicine and I was lucky but have permanent damage because of it as my bodys immune system freaked out...too many new germs and later my specialst told me that an Australian going to europe is like a european going to parts of Africa...if people continue along this route of being fantatical about pasturising, sterilising, and killing off good and bad germs eventually its going to bite you in the butt...all your doing by creating this bubble is making the baddies stronger and your immunity alot weaker...so very bad and alot worse than raw egg... if its fresh ifs fine....lecture over!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 06:57:54 am »
I totally agree with you Frozzie! I use my daughter's home grown eggs anyway, so it's not a problem for me.

It's ridiculous the amount of packaging on our products, everything shrink wrapped, sterilised and sealed.

My pet hate is packaged fruit and vegetables. Just recently I had a rant in Woolies to a friend because they didn't have loose gala apples for sale, only those packed in a plastic container. I threatened to unwrap them at the counter and leave the packaging there!

I can't believe the amount of advertising there is for germ free cleansers etc. Hand sanitizers, toilet seat sanitizers (oh, cause your bum's not as clean as my bum), throw away sanitizing bench wipes.

No wonder children get sick! They never get a chance to build up an immunity. We're so lucky in the bush, exposed to everything germy and smelly as fit as mallee bulls.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 07:21:41 am »
 :) lucky you mj...i grew up on home grown eggs, meat, vegies, fruit etc...tastes better too and over here now people will pay more for organic and or local farm produce than that in shops...i would love a huge vegie patch but have to live with a few vegie boxes...and buying my produce where I can...some i get from local farms and others from shops..the only thing i couldnt handle is seeing anything killed..thank goodness the cows were butchered by the butcher lol (we had an agreement with him) but when dad killed the ducks nobody ate them lol..thats just a mind/psychological thing  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:53 am »
I can only agree to a certain point. I'm totally against all the excess packaging and will not use any antibacterial sprays etc, my kids were always encouraged to play in the mud and our house is only cleaned with water and agree that many people are going totally overboard with being afraid of germs, but........with eggs we are extremely strict and I can't bring myself to eat eggs unless quite well cooked. Mayonnaise is one of those things I find I cannot bring myself to serve unless it is a cooked recipe.

A few years ago my daughter attended a cooking class with two very well known Melbourne chefs at a farmers market as part of the Melbourne food and wine festival. The event was intended to teach children the value of growing organic produce and then cooking a meal the entire family could enjoy. They followed strict hygiene practices throughout the class but as one of the older participants my daughters main job was cracking and separating all the eggs for chocolate mousse, unfortunately the shells from the free range eggs contained salmonella. All of the participants fell ill but my daughter was extremely ill in hospital for over a week as a result of her extended exposure. After extensive investigations the source was confirmed as the free range eggs and in particular the shells, apparently there was a similar outburst in the UK about 8 years ago which bought the free range egg market to a stand still. As a result of the investigation and seriousness of the poisoning my daughters case has been used as a training case in education in the food and safety industry. When we first found out she had salmonella we assumed it was because they handled raw chicken, but the investigators pointed out that more cases of reported salmonella in the past have been from eggs than any other source - I'm not sure how correct this is but they also commented that very few restaurants use raw eggs in their mousse for that reason.

Saying all this we only use free range eggs but ensure they are cooked and our hands are washed extremely well after handling them - my daughter still 4 years on has an aversion to them, she's happy to eat them just not touch the shells!!!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:10 am »
still believe that if something is 'fresh' and properly handled you wont get sick..the problem is whether organic or not, chefs or not..there are alot of dirty people out there..people who dont wash their hands when handling produce or ensure what they are preparing you is fresh etc which does make it very difficult when buying in shops and/or restaurants or cooking classes for that matter...there is obviously a certain amount of faith involved that the people selling you the produce or food are hygenic...each to their own though..I learnt my lesson 10 years ago and as much as we are very careful about hygiene we arent fanatic about it either..I am always however very careful about raw produce prepared by others whether that be a restaurant or someones place...you really need to know who is preparing it to trust that its fine...as a result my kids rarely get sick and the only thing DH and I tend to come down with is being overly tired lol..

also just because someone looks the part ie clean and hygenic doesnt mean they are...ive seen some neat looking people who have horrible hygiene...looks can be deceiving and for all you sushi lovers...beware..make sure your fish is super fresh

anyway it comes down to common sense just saying dont overdo it as you will eventually be alot worse off than a case of food poisoning and pay for it dearly...

Offline LisaR12

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:53 am »
this was perfect..Finally made a mayonnaise with a great taste and texture

Lisa

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 10:08:50 am »
glad you liked it  :)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:03 am »
Everyone who comes to my place gets persuaded to taste this and all love it. I've had to do a costing because I'm curious and it comes in at $2.50 AUD using free range eggs, rice bran oil & Maille Dijon, less if you have chooks; and you get a meringue for free.  We used to pay over $5 for the good shop bought mayo.  Thanks again Frozzie. .

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
no prob viv  :)

Offline Ilana

• View Profile
    • Ganache Chocolate
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »
Hello. Thank you very much for this recipe! I am using it to make a "southwestern" sauce, whatever that is, to be used with a recipe I saw on our local Masterchef reality show, for corn tamales-which I understand are corn cakes made from fresh,frozen or canned corn. I needed mayo to make this. My daughter is preg so I needed past. eggs. This lovely forum helped me find everything!! Thank you!
mom to 10 kids! (okay... one is a son in law, one is a dog, 4 are cats)

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 01:23:13 am »
After trying the mayo from the EDC, which was a dismal flop, I whipped this up to take on a picnic. It worked perfect first time, only took 3 minutes to make, and tasted delish!!! I will be making all our mayo from now on, this recipes a winner! ;D ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 07:21:11 am »
glad you guys liked it  :)

Offline Ilana

• View Profile
    • Ganache Chocolate
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:22 am »
May was very good. I have never had homemade before, it is different but great. The southwestern sauce and corn cake things were a success. Thanks again!! :)
mom to 10 kids! (okay... one is a son in law, one is a dog, 4 are cats)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »
 :)