Author Topic: Apricot Jam  (Read 70898 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: Apricot Jam
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »
OK I am going to give this a try tody. Evvery other jam we have made has been a syrup and not thickened. I bought some CSR Jam sugar and was wondering if I should use half plain white sugar and half jam sugar to get it to thicken. Anyone else done this?

Thanks

DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »
Every year I make quite a few batch of jam with fruits out of our orchard.  I follow the same simple steps to get a jam that sets but isn't too solid.
I use 750g of castor sugar for 1kg of fruits (important to have top quality fruits, not over-ripe but full of flavour).
I make jam in my Le Creuset pots as they keep the heat in.
First I dissolve sugar with some water (enough to "melt" the sugar but you don't want it runny) by heating it gently. 
I leave the sugar syrup to simmer for 5mn. 
Then add the juice of one lemon and the fruit in one go.  I adjust the heat so that the jam will cook on high heat, without boiling (or getting out of the pot  ;D) and thicken.  I usually keep an eye on it!  Cooking time varies depending on the amount/ the kind of fruits you are using.  I generally don't cook more than 2kg of fruits at a time.
Do a setting test by dropping a spoon of jam on a saucer:  if it solidifies quicky your jam is ready to bottle.
I sterilize pots and lids for 10mn in boiling water just before bottling my jam.
Hope this helps  Good luck DG :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:37 am »
DG i would use the jam sugar. when i make jam i use jam setter or some agar agar
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 12:43:28 am »
Thank you for all your advice. I have used half jam sugr and half white sugar. Nearly cooked, will let you know how it goes.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:42 am »
Since I started this thread what seems like eons ago now, I've now got it down pat using the method below.  I make as much apricot jam in our summer as I can to last us over the colder months until they come into season again. I find it so easy to do small amounts more often.

One thing I've learned that at the end of cooking it will seem runny but as it cools down it will thicken, once you've made it a couple of times you will get the idea.  At first I cooked longer on Varoma as it seemed too runny but once it was cold I found it to be too firm.  

APRICOT JAM
500g apricots (weighed without the stone)
approx 400g sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Place all ingredients into TM bowl.  Program 2 secs/speed 5.

Program 30 mins/ 100ºC/speed 2.  MC off.

Cook further 5 mins/Varoma temp/speed 2.  MC on a slant to stop spitting.(or use steamer basket)

Check on a cold saucer, if need be, cook further 3 mins/Varoma temp/speed 2.

Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 06:50:34 pm »
Made this with 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 jam setter sugar and it is fabulous. Thank you so much for all your advise and this great little recipe. This is the first jam I have made that has set and isn't like a sauce.

Loves ya all

DG xxx

Offline korrick

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
This is my first jam making try. I only had 420gms in fresh apricots and made up the rest with dried apricots. I used raw sugar also as I didn't have caster sugar or jam setting sugar. The jam set beautifully and I didn't have to cook for the extra time. Great recipe. thanks.
Cooking is fun again with my TMX!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Re: Apricot Jam
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 12:51:32 am »
I made this following Julie's directions, but I doubled the recipe. I cooked on 100C for 25 minutes, and then increased the temp to cook/varoma for a further 10-15 minutes. My apricots were very ripe, so I added the juice of half a lemon, and blitzed the lemon seeds with the sugar to start with, and it has set well. This is my favourite jam.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Miss 50s

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Apricot Jam
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:04 am »
I made this today but reduced the sugar. I also used raw sugar. It was quite thin and I'm not sure if that was the reason so I chucked a little bit of jam setta in and cooked it on varoma for 19 10 more mins and it was perfect!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:28:21 am by judydawn »

Offline Miss 50s

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Apricot Jam
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:25 am »
10 mins I meant!

Offline Jezza

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:32 am »
Made this jam today out of some frozen apricots I had in the freezer which I defrosted.  Thanks so much it was easy.   8)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 05:47:26 am »
Thanks JulieO made this today with your second recipe, apricots are just coming into season here, bought some hale damaged apricots at the markets yesterday for $3.50 kg. jam has turned out perfect.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 08:57:05 am »
Great price Jeninwa. I paid $17/kg for 4 on Friday. I must get down to the Spud Shed.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:05 am »
You're all welcome girls. :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
Thanks for bumping this Jeninwa, I got a bag of apricots (just over 1kg), for $3.50 I've stoned and put them in the freezer but might make jam after seeing this thread. Apricot jam is the only jam I eat.