Author Topic: TM overheating? - spurts out hot liquids when cooking  (Read 11694 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: TM overheating? - spurts out hot liquids when cooking
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:33 am »
The latest edition of the EDC says 400g basmati or jasmine rice to 900g water. Place rice in TM basket and rinse until water runs clear. Place water into TM bowl, insert basket with rice and cook 13-16 mins/varoma/speed 2 so obviously what you read in the manual krismakes is correct. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »
Oh my gosh judydawn speed 2!!!!  Well I never.  Thanks so much for looking into that for me, they must have changed the "cooking rice" instructions in the EDC sometime after my edition - I swear it says speed 4 lol - I looked it up again just to be sure.  Ok I will have to think of something for the menu that needs rice so I can try speed 2 soon.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:18 pm »
krismakes, have you got a thermometer? I would be boil water to 100 degrees on the TMX gauge and check with a thermomter. We cook rice on speed 4 at least a couple of times a week and have never had the spitting and the kids are always cooking custard to the EDC recipe and it rarely catches on the bottom. Maybe your temp gauge is playing up.

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 06:32:37 am »
Tim - that's interesting that the UK book says only 500ml/g of water as the aussie EDC says for cooking rice (basmati or jasmine) use 400g rice (can reduce qty to suit) and 900g water, 13-16min varoma speed 4.  That's seems a big variation in water doesn't it.  My EDC is July 2010 version, I wonder if anyone has a newer one that they could tell us if the instructions differ?  What speed does it say in that book Tim?

I did cook plain rice tonight; approx. 320g with 890g water for 13 min.  With 4.5 min left on the clock it started it's spurting out the mc hole so I tried upping the speed a little which seemed a bit out of control and didn't seem to stop the spurting.  I turned it off for a minute to get my bearings then angled the mc and continued cooking at sp4 and a half.  It didn't bubble out the top - it stayed just under the mc and the rice was cooked fine.

Another question for Tim - what are the cooking instructions in your EDC for custard?  Mine is 7 min at 90 degrees on sp4.

Ok just checked the book to see what it says compared with what I actually do......   400g rice in basket with 1 lt  water 5 seconds on 5 to wash the rice then 20 min varoma at 2.5 measure cup up in bubbles reach cup turn speed up to 4.

custard: 7 min 80 sp 4
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline TM Essentials

• View Profile
    • TM Essentials - Accessories for your Thermomix
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 12:33:05 am »
TM Essentials have a new product called the Splatter Stop. It can be used instead of the MC and will stop all of your splatters from the top of the TM bowl. They are made of food grade silicone and have a long handle, so no more scalding and no more lost MC on the counter top.

We are the experts for accessories for your Thermomix. From spatulas, cleaning brushes to carry bags. Visit us today at www.tm-essentials.com.au. TM Esssentials is not associated with Vorwerk
https://www.tm-essentials.com.au    https://www.facebook.com/TM.Essentials

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 01:45:31 am »
Interesting, TMX,  I just use a small Pyrex dish to cover the hole.