Author Topic: Almond - Something ??  (Read 4203 times)

Offline SRfam

• View Profile
Almond - Something ??
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:38 pm »
Hi clever people !

I was blissfully thinking that I was going to make some Almond Flour.  But I now have something more akin to almond butter, here is what I did - can someone please tell me what to do with what I have created - Its quite yummy so I'm close to something, just not sure what !!  Ha ha ! Help please??

So I soaked and blanched about 500 grams of raw almonds.
Dried them out on a towel for a couple of hours
Blitzed the almonds (2 batches) in Thermie speed 9 for about 30 seconds - my mixture now resembled bread crumbs.
It still seemed a little damp so I thought, I know "I'll dehydrate them in the oven".  So onto a baking tray they went.  In the oven temp about 50 degrees Celsius with door ajar to allow moisture out.
Now my nuts are dry and I have allowed them to cool completely - right I think, time to blitz them into almond flour (I'm sure I can hear some chuckles from you knowing people by about now)
No I didn't get flour - I have paste! 
What do I do next - is this yummy mixture almond paste?  Should I whip it into almond something else or be happy with this stuff I have made and get a recipe next time !  ha ha! 

I love learning about my Thermie - I'm chuckling at my own ignorance - and loving that I have stumbled onto something - but I don't know what I've stumbled on to !  ha ha !

Help Please?  thanks !  Oh and by the way - how do I make almond flour ?   :D

Offline snappy

• View Profile
Re: Almond - Something ??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:11:55 am »
SR fam I think you have made almond butter.  You can use it like you would peanut butter, spread on crackers, use in cookies etc.

I haven't made almond flour but I do whiz up almond meal (which I think is a little courser).  I blend for 10 secs on speed 9, check it and then just pulse with turbo until I have the consistency I want.  My guess is that you over wizzed the almonds and they went past flour and onto almond butter.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will be able give you more advice on almond flour! 😀

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:22 am »
SRfam,  congratulations,  you have made nut butter which is very expensive to but.  For Almond flour just zap the almonds in the TMX,  but don't over do it.  

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:47:31 am »
Congratulations on creating almond butter without even knowing.  :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:58:29 am »
Almond butter, fantastic lots of recipes use almond butter :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline SRfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:55:13 am »
Ha ha !  thanks so much Cookie1, achookwoman, snappy and Halex!  That's really cool ! Pulsing is obviously the key, yes I did just woosh it for about 15 seconds (without looking in the hole) and was so surprised by the result!  I do love the taste of the "almond butter" (thanks for educating me) so I'm thrilled !  Next time - short pulses will do for me !  Thanks again.

Offline TM Essentials

• View Profile
    • TM Essentials - Accessories for your Thermomix
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:16 am »
We make almond flour regularly for gluten free cakes. 200 grams of almonds at Speed 8 for 8 seconds is enough for almond meal - not butter.

Cheers Debbie
We are the experts for accessories for your Thermomix. From spatulas, cleaning brushes to carry bags. Visit us today at www.tm-essentials.com.au. TM Esssentials is not associated with Vorwerk
https://www.tm-essentials.com.au    https://www.facebook.com/TM.Essentials