Author Topic: Just felt the earth move  (Read 9077 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Just felt the earth move
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:44 pm »
Friends in mel on facebook were all writing about it too..think it was flt all over
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
Felt it in two waves- all up lasted 30-40 seconds and sounded like a freight train was about to come through the walls just like the last 'big' one. Apparently last night's quake was the strongest we've had in Victoria for over a hundred years.  As usual, my DH is away for work but at least my kids were asleep in bed and none the wiser. My cup of tea which I was drinking at the time spilled though.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
You can see today's USGS earthquake map of the world  Here.

We have small earthquakes fairly often.  I can see the San Andreas fault ridge from my deck.  The other fault that forms the fault line directly west and the triangular shape of the western end of the Antelope Valley is the Garlock fault zone.

My home is almost in the exact middle of the map on this page.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »
We certainly felt it - we live near Deedub so had the same intensity as her.

I grew up near a fault line in NZ so earthquakes were not an unusual occurrence for me as a youngster, but left NZ when I was 19 so this was a bit of a new experience for me as well.  fortunately, no damage here either.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

stacelee

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
So glad I live in the sunshine state :)...here we only have to worry about cyclones, flooding, bushfire.....maybe I'll stop now....before I scare myself.  I hope all of our southerners are okay....earthquakes however big or small are unnerving.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »
We had one on 8th June. What is happening to poor old Mother Earth? It was so scary. Hope everyone is OK.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 10:00:45 pm »
What is happening to poor old Mother Earth?

I have a theory on this.  We have been pulling all sorts of resources out of the earth for so long now it is all becoming unstable under the surface, thus earthquakes are happening where they have never been felt before.  There has to be some 'pay back' for our total plundering of this planet!  If you haven't read about fracking before, take the time to do a little research on this, it is totally scary!  The legacy we are creating for the future is horrendous.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »
just saw this on the news.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
As an ex-NZer I am quite used to feeling earthquakes, so they have never really bothered me (well aside from the fact in the back of your mind you never know how bad it is going to get).
The funniest earthquake time I remember was about 3 nights before my sister's wedding, we were in our beds (I shared a room with her) and this earthquake started, she lept out of bed and into the doorway, I stayed in bed :-)) - and she started yelling at me this: "hurry up and get over here into the doorway, can't you feel its an earthquake, come on...YOU HAVE TO BE MY BRIDESMAID IN 3 DAYS TIME!!!" I just laughed and said "so is that all you are worried about me for? Cuz I'm your bridesdmaid?" ...the the earth stopped shaking and all was well!!! :)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:53 am »
Andiesendji that map is amazing, so many earth quakes in a day.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:26 am »
What is happening to poor old Mother Earth?

I have a theory on this.  We have been pulling all sorts of resources out of the earth for so long now it is all becoming unstable under the surface, thus earthquakes are happening where they have never been felt before.  There has to be some 'pay back' for our total plundering of this planet!  If you haven't read about fracking before, take the time to do a little research on this, it is totally scary!  The legacy we are creating for the future is horrendous.

I agree Marina and tracking scares the daylights out of me. I watched Gasland (I think that was what it was called) and then did some more research - scared the pants off myself  :'(
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:17 am »
Believe it or not, even some of the petroleum / gas companies are wary of fracking, it's that bad!