Author Topic: Not sure if I'm flattered or offended.....  (Read 25343 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Not sure if I'm flattered or offended.....
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:09 am »
 ;) ;) ;)LOL- JD, apparently they think I run a hotel, but no, I am just one of many of you domestic goddesses out there who happens to have  a highly stressful job, high maintenance 5yo twins and certain crap relatives! Not that they seem to realise all of the above. At least, last time as I was escaping out of the house I chucked them a packet of taco shells and some mince and said to do something with that as the chef was leaving the building! My DH has finally realised that they act like this, mind you, she, ie the cousin of my DH , acts like a perfect angel around my husband and Jekyll and Hyde towards me when I'm alone with them. I kept telling him that these particular cousins are users and I think the penny has finally dropped!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:42 am »
Maddy.
Don't do the cake! You will end up being asked again and again. I found that as a dressmaker, I was being "used". My sister had the same problem with her sugar-crafted cakes. We both worked out the cost of our work and produced a little brochure. At the slightest hint of our making something, we said. "I'll send you my brochure".  The only people I make presents for are my children and sisters. Presents can be repetitive and are expected annually so give them at your peril.

I would say right away that you are too busy with other commitments at the moment but that you will send her your brochure for any future orders.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
Merlin, if that's what she is like then I'd definitely not have her in my house.  I dislike people who put on a act for one person and don't show their true colours until that person is not there.  It would be very hard to convince DH how you are being treated behind his back.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 12:03:36 pm »
Nazar, how do you get your dog to move in your signature.

obbie
 my husband said its a 'animated gif',   similar to this sight  http://www.animatedgif.net/animals/dogs/dogs.shtml

categories http://www.animatedgif.net/

hope this explains it 

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:45 am »
UPDATE....

For someone who didn't care so much about the cake because it was " just a cake" ......sure has strong ideas on what they do and don't want  :-))
I was handed a paint swatch with the particular shade of icing colour ( bubble gum pink  :-\), wants only flowers in same colour pink, and poo-poo'd my suggestion of a little edible glitter or small green leaves in between the flowers.....oh, and the candles she gave me were butt ugly, in all shades of pink.
Now my dilemma is....do I do as requested, or add what I think may look better, as this is going to be my gift?
I didn't mention this was going to be my gift, but I'm sure she will assume that's what I will do.

I got the tins yesterday, they were filthy!  Baking them today, and icing them tomorrow....wish me luck  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:52 am »
Maddy, I think you just proved that your 'friend' is far too demanding for someone who just wanted a cake and next time, (if there is one) I reckon you should recommend  she goes to a baker. Also, I would also make mine look more homemade (you could say rustic!) and do my own interpretation of what she wants anyway! Clearly you have such a lot of work ahead of you so all the best of luck!!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 12:50:05 am »
Maddy this is a slam dunk.do as  requested Put the invoice on baking paper and bake inside the cake. Oops I wondered where I put the bill.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 12:55:53 am »
Great idea Gert, Invoice her.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:43 am »
I like Dot's idea of a brochure, then there can be no dispute or discussion, everything is set out, extras are costed out, etc.  this then makes the whole endeavour a business transaction and you all know where you stand.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 01:50:44 am »
Maddy put the card something like an invoice.
eg Happy birthday.........................My gift to you on this special occasion is this cake.
Total cost $75
Less 10% for a friend = $67.50

Details:
Hire of tin $12
Flour $4.50
Butter $5.00
etc
etc

Labour : As this is my gift I have given it freely. Usually I charge $45 per hour. Total time is usually 1.5 hours  (usually $68.50

I hope you have a lovely day and everyone enjoys the cake which I have baked and iced with much love.

Next time say I'm a bit short for housekeeping this month as I bought a new.......... I'll have to charge much the same as I gifted last year.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:08 am »
If she pays she can demand, if it is for free you do what you like maddy. She obviously expects it for free so she can't have it both ways. Hope all goes well and she is happy with the end product.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 02:41:33 am »
Cookie 1 you are brilliant.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:58 am »
I wonder how your so called friend would react if you called her in the morning of the party and told her you dropped the cake while taking it out of the oven  :-))

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 04:31:35 am »
What about if you sort of  came down sick....

Love that one Uni... :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 04:41:40 am »
Cookie 1 you are brilliant.

Gert

Thank you. You have made my day. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/