Author Topic: Cream of cucumber soup with prawns on skewers  (Read 17140 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Cream of cucumber soup with prawns on skewers
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:07 am »
Name of Recipe: Cream of cucumber soup with prawns on skewers

Number of People:  6

Ingredients:

24 prawn tails, shelled & deveined
40 g olive oil flavored with lemon
½ teaspoon salt, or more as needed
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 cucumbers, seeds removed, cut into pieces (about 500 g)
500 g water
1 vegetable stock cube or TM veg concentrate.
1/4 teaspoon pepper
200 g cream
40 grams flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp dill, chopped

Preparation:

Marinade prawns for 15 minutes with 1 tablespoon of lemon-infused oil and salt. Thread prawns onto 6 wooden skewers and place them in the container of Varoma.

Place the onion and garlic in the TM bowl, chop for 3 seconds on Speed  5.  Add 25 g of lemon-infused oil, cook for 2 minutes at Varoma temperature on Speed 1.

Add pieces of cucumber and chop for 4 seconds on Speed 5.  Add water, stock cube (or TM stock concentrate), 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.  Position the Varoma and cook for 12 minutes at Varoma on Speed 1.
Remove the Varoma and set aside.

Add the cream, flour and lemon juice to the TM bowl and mix for 15 seconds on Speed 9, then cook for 2 minutes at 100°C on Speed 2.

Add the dill to taste, stir for 3 seconds on Speed 3 and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the soup into six dishes, decorate with the skewers of prawns and serve hot.

Suggestion: Alternate the prawns with pieces of lemon. Instead of flour use 2 cooked potatoes to thicken soup. You can replace the lemon-flavoured oil with olive oil and a few drops of lemon. Only for adults, flavour soup with a drop of white wine.

Photos:

Not yet

Origin:

Adapted/roughly translated from A Tutto Vapore - Full Steam Ahead
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cream of cucumber soup with prawns on skewers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:56 am »
I made this for our current challenge, making half quantity which is only enough for 2 servings.  

I only had cooked, frozen prawns so I threaded them onto a metal skewer and soaked them in lemon juice whilst I started the soup part of the recipe.

I used fresh lemon juice to flavour the olive oil, used 3 spring onions instead of ordinary onions, used Carnation lite cooking cream, added one of Tenina's umami cubes as it was tasteless without it and left the thickener out until the last step. I chose the wine option at the end too.

Method, chopped 5cm pieces of spring onions and a clove of confit of garlic 3 sec/speed 5.
Added 1 tbspn olive oil plus a squeeze of lemon juice and sautéed 2 mins/varoma temp/speed 1.
Added 5cm pieces of seeded cucumber, used a telegraph cucumber.  Chopped 3 sec/speed 5.
Added water, VSC, S & P and cooked 10 mins/100o/speed 1. With 4 minutes to go I added the cooked prawn skewer to the varoma dish to heat through.  Follow the recipe if using fresh green prawns.
Added cream, lemon juice and a umami cube, mixed 10 sec/speed 9 then cooked 2 minutes/100o/speed 2.
Added some dill and 2 tsp wheaten cornflour mixed with 2 tsp water plus 3 tbspns white wine then cooked 1 min/100o/speed 3.
Check for seasonings - I found it needed more salt and pepper.

This would be a perfect light starter to a dinner party, especially in summer when cucumbers are cheap and plentiful.  It definitely needs the umami cube though.

I had some dill which I had covered in water and frozen so I just broke a chunk off that for the soup.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:21:59 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.