Author Topic: How do I roast meat in the Veroma if possible.  (Read 22859 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: How do I roast meat in the Veroma if possible.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:50 am »
Made this last night, and it was devoured with relish! Chose a beef joint with a bone and it weighed just over 1.2kg. 2 days prior I rubbed garlic, sage and rosemary and salt into the joint and put in the fridge in a ziploc bag. After browning the meat in the frypan I didn't wash and used it later on to brown up the steamed potatoes and sweet potatoes. This piece took 65-75 mins (I may have lost 10mins in my head as I was trying to keep track of the time), so I had to add more water to the Varoma. As you can see by the pics we like our meat cooked all the way through, when pieced with a fork the juices come out just about clear. All the veges could be added in the last 30 mins so they are hot (although I kept in the Thermoserver, they were fine). Very very moist, and soooo flavoursome. 5/5
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:15 am »
Looks Yummy CP63. I'll have to give this a go
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:34:48 am »
Thanks for the lovely pictures CP, I've had a standing rib of beef in the freezer for ages and I am definitely going to cook it this way.  We like ours pink so I'll have to check my weight and cook it accordingly.  Yours looks just like an oven baked roast.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:00 am »
This looks heavenly CP as we like our meat well cooked.Thanks for taking the time posting pictures as well. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 05:54:23 am »
I cooked my standing Beef Rib roast in the TMX today after seeing CP63's thread.  My piece weighed 850g which would have served 4 people so I had to work out how long to cook it so that it was still pink in the middle.  Not easy but I got there in the end and it was a really top class meal just for DH and myself for a Sunday lunch.  I serve my rib roasts more as a steak so when I cut them through after resting, it was a little too pink so I just cooked the individual steaks for a few minutes in the pan I'd browned it in to start with.  Still nice and pink and just perfect for us.  Next time I would add perhaps 10 minutes to the steaming time and make it 55 mins for that weight - it is all trial and error with different weights. I cooked the vegies from the beginning with the meat then removed them for the browning process as CP did and I also made these lovely Yorkshire Puddings to go with it.  Gravy was made with the meat drippings & some of the vegie water from the bowl.  I poured the liquid into the pan I had sealed the meat and browned the vegies in so as to get every last bit of flavour I could then put it back into the TMX with some cornflour and gravox mixture to thicken up.  This meal does keep you pretty busy in the kitchen getting it to all come together at once but it is so worth the effort.  There is only one meal DH doesn't like sharing with visitors (it means there are no leftovers) and that is any standing rib roast I do. He amazed me today with the amount of food he was able to put away - twice as much as he usually does.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:00:23 am by judydawn »

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:46 am »
Judy that looks absolutely delicious.  I don't blame hubby for not wanting to share   :D :D :D

Think I'll make this tomorrow night for tea.  That gorgeous yorkshire pud looks divine.  Hope mine look that good.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 08:01:57 am »
Hope you do Merrilyn and let us know how you got on. The meat is just melt in the mouth delicious.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:49 am »
Geoff probably ate more today because he had some catching up to do and what a beautiful meal to do it  with. I don't think I have ever cooked a standing rib roast
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
Jan, I have never been disappointed in any standing rib roast be it veal, pork or beef - they are the best cut you can buy in my opinion and any men you feed it to, are very appreciative.  The reaction from both my sons-in-law when I did the first beef one for them was amazing - only problem was they both went back for seconds and cleaned me out of leftovers for you know who  :D :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 05:00:37 am »
That meal JD looks delish.. We are big fans of standing rib roast, the meat is just delicious.

Thanks JD, this will be our roast next ween. We like it pink too.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:37 am »
I have just had another varoma roast for lunch, this time with a 1.34kg piece of boneless Pork Marinated Topside - Sweet Chilli Infused from Foodland. It was delicious. I used a meat thermometer and it took 1 hour to cook to 70o C but for us I could have removed it to rest 5 minutes earlier. Followed the same method as my last roast but I already had the Yorkshire Puddings and Gravy in the freezer leftover from last time and that made life so much easier.
This time I placed whole medium potatoes and carrots in the basket and large pieces of pumpkin underneath the baking paper before placing the meat on top of that. Removed the vegies around the 30 minute mark and filled the steaming basket with chopped cabbage which cooked for the remainder of the time the meat needed. Rested the meat for 10 minutes.
I had the gravy and Yorkshire puddings thawed and I cooked some broad beans in the microwave, peeled them and added them to the cabbage once it was cooked. Placed the Yorkies in a 180oC the oven for 10 mins whilst the meat was resting.
Whilst the meat and cabbage were cooking and the potatoes had cooled slightly, I made grooves all over them with a fork then browned them in the same pan I browned the piece of pork earlier.  I kept them in the oven with the carrots and pumpkin over which I had drizzled some gingered honey.  I then stir fried the cabbage and broad beans in some butter in the same pan, put that in the oven too and heated the gravy up in the pan.
By the time the 10 minutes resting was up, everything else was ready to serve once the meat had been carved.  I just find cooking a roast in the Thermomix is so easy and because some steps are done in stages, you can have the washing of the TMX pieces done as well before you even serve the meal. I will definitely make the Yorkies and gravy in advance and have them in the freezer to make things easier.  The Yorkies were as good, if not better than when freshly made.

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 01:12:18 pm »
This looks like something I want to try. When cooking the meat do you wrap it in foil or baking paper.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »
You can use either PP but I wet a double piece of baking paper to make it pliable and use that.