Author Topic: organic palm olein oil - help please  (Read 4530 times)

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
organic palm olein oil - help please
« on: October 21, 2010, 05:00:36 am »
I am wondering if anyone has some factual information on this product.  I've just noticed that my favourite corn chips now have this listed in its ingredients  ??? ??? ??? and I am wondering if this is something to avoid or if it's ok.  I do know that orangutangs are losing their habbitat to plantations of palms for oil production.  Food is so complicated now  :( :(

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: organic palm olein oil - help please
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:50:36 am »
This website may be helpful for you earth mumma. Its very interesting how there are so many names and numbers that we have to know about in order to make informed choices. That substance appears to be a derivative.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:55:58 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:08:07 am »
Thanks creampuff.  Looks like my corn chips are off the menu  :'( :'(

Offline Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:11:49 am »
Funny you should be asking about palm oil as I just replied to a question about Rice Bran Oil and happened to mention it. I too avoid it if possible though it is so hard to make informed decisions as there are so many variables we can't take into account until we are made aware of them. Just go with your best advice and good feelings. Hopefully there is another corn chip alternative out there that doesn't cost the earth!! (literally lol).
I just checked some I have in the cupboard Mission Original Tortilla Strips they contain Vegetable Oil (whatever that actually is??)
Rebecca

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:19 am »
Hi Rebecca.  After some research it appears that most products that list vegetable oil in the ingredient list contain palm oil.  Especially snack foods.  It is very confusing and frustrating, but I suppose if I contact the companies expressing my concern it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but if I do and others do it too then collectively we can make a difference.