Author Topic: Laksa Paste  (Read 8206 times)

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
Laksa Paste
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:17:57 am »
Laksa Paste
Ingredients:

•               4 candlenuts or macadamia nuts
•   2 cloves garlic
•   1 onion
•   2 -3 cm fresh ginger
•   2 stalks lemongrass, white part only
•   6-8 leaves Vietnamese mint, (Laksa leaves)
•   6 dried chillies, soaked and chopped in ¼’s
•   1 tbsp shrimp paste (omit for a vegetarian option – but replace with salt to taste) – can use dried shrimp as an alternative
•   3 fresh coriander roots
•   1 tsp ground turmeric
•   1 tsp ground coriander
•   1 tsp paprika
•   1 tsp ground cumin
•   1-2 tbsp olive oil

Method:
•   Grind nuts spd 10, 10 secs.
•   Add garlic, onion, ginger, lemongrass, mint and chillies to TM bowl. Grind spd 10, 20 secs.
•   Add rest of the ingredients, except oil, and grind spd10 for up to 2mins stopping to scrape down the sides a few times. When it becomes a paste like consistency add oil and mix spd 5, 30 secs.
•   Ready to use straight away or can be frozen to use later (ice block containers are a great size for this).

Recipe adapted from a Jill duplex recipe, by Jane Cisera

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Laksa Paste
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:09:32 am »
Great recipe - thanks for converting.   :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:09:39 am »
Hi Earth Mumma,

What would you do to make this into, say, a chicken laksa? I have read the quick laksa recipe in the soups, but I would prefer to start from scratch and make it from the paste.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:43 am »
Hi DJ

When I have used this I have made my soup up as you would from a packet mix, but replace their paste with mine.  I haven't made this in a while so I hope this is right.  Usually you make up a stock first, frying the paste first to make it fragrant, and then adding the water/stock.  Make up you rice noodles according to directions (usually the dried rice noodles in some boiling water - set these aside). Then I add in my pieces of chicken (if using) and cook them for a few minutes before adding my vegies and coconut milk.  I might add some extra lime/lemon juice and fish sauce and a little palm sugar or raw sugar and maybe a kafir lime leaf too to give it extra flavour.   Then when you are happy with the taste and the chicken is cooked through I add the rice noodles in.  It may sound complicated but usually can be done in 20mins from start to finish. 

Hope this helps  :)