Author Topic: Recipe request: okonomiyaki  (Read 25229 times)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Recipe request: okonomiyaki
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:41:23 am »
Does anyone have TMX conversion to make okonomiyaki?
Thank you.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Recipe request: okonomiyaki
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:32 am »
Hi Denzelmum, I have never even heard of okonomiyaki so I cant help you there. What is it?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:52:14 am »
Here's one - is this what you were looking for Denzelmum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
Hi Dede, it's Japanese savoury pancake with cabbage.  I might serve it with TMX mayonnaise and tomato sauce.

Thank you JD  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  will try this out, hope kids like this.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:44 pm »
Love okonomiyaki. I'd imagine you could chop the cabbage following coleslaw directions, set aside and then do the batter?

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:45:23 am »
Sounds interesting. Let us know how they go, I must admit I do usually like to see reviews before I give something a try. I think its that I don't like wasting ingredients if I thing it wouldn't get eaten.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »
Wow!! Thanks for the request Denzelmum. Never heard of 'em but made them tonight thanks to JD's link. They are a fantastic 'slack night' meal in front of the telly watching footy. Kinda like a springroll in a pikelet. Kids and hubby give them a thumbs up.  :D

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:03 pm »
Wow, you're quick Nay-nay!  Dede, one good review from Nay-Nay.  I was working today, late to pick up DD from after school care and missed the bus, decided to have left over nasi kuning (Indonesian yellow rice) leftover from the other day for the kids. 

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:27:04 am »
well that a thumbs up review. I got to give these a go now. Will let you know what the verdict is once I make them.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:30:41 pm »
Nay-nay, I was wondering how many this recipe served.  Thinking of making it tomorrow (swimming night) as you say it's quick for a slack night! 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:46:24 am »
I think it was about 9 - 10 large ones. I must say I ate 3 and was stuffed very full. I also didn't mention that I think there was way to much mix for the TMX so I had my very large mixing bowl that everything got mixed in. I milled the cheese and put it in bowl then cabbage,carrot, shallot whizzed and in bowl then the wet ingredients and flour whizzed and mixed into bowl - As I mentioned I have never heard of these before and had no expectation as to what they are suppose to be like so added a couple teaspoons of baking powder so they had a little air like a pikelet and we did enjoy them.  ;)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:49:30 pm »
Thank you Denzelmum for your original request, Judydawn for tracking down the recipe and Nay-Nay for your "tweaks".

We all loved this recipe, vegetarians and omnivores alike!  How quick and easy is it with TMX--imagine all that grating if you didn't have one! For those who give this recipe a shot, Nay-nay is absolutely right, the mix is way to much for the TMX bowl, so I also milled the cheese and tipped into a large mixing bowl, then chopped the veg, tipped into the bowl,then mixed the batter and sitirred it into the other ingredients.  I also added a few tsps of baking powder. I made 10 pancakes about the size of a small saucer.  I served it with thermomix mayo and bbq sauce.  When you buy them the sauces are often squirted on in a lattice like pattern, but I just dabbed on the mayo.  Next time I'm at an Asian grocers, I will look out for real okonmiyaki sauce.

Thanks again everyone for a healthy, tasty and easy meal idea!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »
For just the 2 of us, I was going to make half quantity Lellyj, do you think that quantity would fit back into the TMX OK?
Just loving the reviews of this one and can't wait to find out for myself what it tastes like - maybe Wednesday night's tea.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »
Judy, I just tested the volume of my mixing bowl with the tmx jug and yes I think a half mix would fit in, but it was no drama to dump the cheese and veg into a bowl and then stir through the batter either.  I should have pointed out that I used a standard 375 ml tin of evaporated skim milk as that's what I had in the cupboard and only added 50 ml of water.

I hope you and your husband enjoy it too.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »
Thank you, guess I will play it by ear with the quantity of liquid then - is it supposed to be a thick batter or thin (before adding everything back into it).