Author Topic: Not making the most of the TMX  (Read 15121 times)

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
Not making the most of the TMX
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »
Hey all,

We got our TMX about a month ago and I feel we're not making the most of it. We just don't think to use it, or don't feel experienced enough to use it or to convert a recipe for it. Catch 22 is we won't get experienced if we don't use it right?? Lol ;)

Anyway, do you have any tips or advice for easy ways to integrate this appliance into our cooking? Just so we get familiar with it and normalise its use in the kitchen.

Did anyone else go through a phase where they felt they spent $2k on a bench decoration? :D
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Not making the most of the TMX
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:24:02 pm »
Hey Ayla, I find that soooo hard to believe! I got mine for xmas, and I use it every single day, ok maybe we are a family of 5, but I do everything in it, from breakfast, lunch to dinner. And then at the weekend I really bake and cook big time. Cakes and bread, biscuits. Soups. Mashed potato, rice. Sauces, Ice-creams I only wish that I had 2 jugs, as I hate washing it up!!!
Tell me what is an example of your daily menu. Breakfast lunch and dinner. And maybe I can tell you what you could do to help you speed up your time. I know it can make a whole meal, but generally I find that I use it to assist and make the side dishes,the finishing touches, the sauces, drinks, cocktails etc
Give us an example of lets say your menu for 3 days, all of your meals and maybe we can help suggest what you could use your THX for.
Mine is certainly not looking pretty on the side, its always draining upside down on the draining board! And I am quite new to it, 4 months isn't long really. My DH thinks that I will have worn it out before the guarantee is up!!! ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:56:42 pm »
i would try some of the recipes in the book on here on the forum. the more recipes you try the more familiar with it you'll be, and the more you'll 'get' how to use it.  good luck!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 01:20:29 am »
What works for me is to think of what you couldn't make if you didn't have it. Or things that are just so boring to make because you need to stir them constantly for half an hour.

Then, take advantage of the fact that you DO have it. :)
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:37:54 am »
Hi Ayla

It took me a while to really get into using it.  Then I started to just pick a recipe from the book and try it.  I was amazed how quickly I changed to using it as the first option.

It did take some time, but then suddenly I can't stop experimenting.

Let us know what sorts of food you normally cook/eat and that might help us direct you more.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 04:01:38 am »
Ayla, at the Nico Moretti class I went to on the weekend he said that he found the TMX most useful as a second pair of hands in the kitchen. When I first got mine I felt I had to use it to prepare entire meals as it had cost so much. Now I use it for heaps of things, but not necessarily cooking the entire meal.

eg The other day a friend called round and bought a swiss roll, he wouldn't take the leftovers home so I decided with the help of the thermomix I would make a trifle. Quick custard on the TMX, cook some plums on it to put in and later we had trifle for dinner.
I now find I am making sauces much more as I don't have to stir them. Risottos are a regular too.
Hang in there, you will use it and feel it's worth it.
A quick fruit (no sugar) sorbet is often made on our warmer days.
Orange juice for breakfast.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:43 am »
Hi Ayla, I've been away and had noticed no comments from you when I returned.  You were so keen before you got your TMX I was so surprised to read this latest posting of yours.  You did the reverse to me, you read everything before you got the TMX and when I got mine, I tried a few things, didn't like them so turned to the forum which then re-inspired me to keep at it. I have printed out so many recipes from the forum (probably won't get to try them all but at least now I have a great choice) and I am using the varoma so much more now too.  Once I settle back in from this holiday I will get back into doing most of my meals in it but am going to plan a week's meals ahead and make sure I have everything in the pantry and fridge to do them. It was too expensive to just sit on the bench and look pretty.  If it isn't on the bench, I suggest you put it there as it never needs to go away.  Miss your comments, please start cooking and doing reviews.  Don't worry about converting things, let others do that if you don't feel confident enough.  It will all fall into place if you keep at it. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:18:16 am »
You'll get the hang of it! I don't convert my favourite recipes in a way that I can write down to share, but by looking in the recipe book and seeing how they suggest you do things (like cream butter/sugar, what temp to cook meat etc), I then apply them to whatever I'm aiming to do. I find some of the recipes in the cookbook don't need to be whizzed the length of time it says. Try it less, check it, whizz it again.

I have really enjoyed trying out recipes from this forum. There's such a huge variety of recipes to try out and the more you try, the more you learn. Less is always best.

When I first started using my TMX, I went thru the recipe book and wrote a list of what I wanted to cook and made a shopping list of what I didn't have. It really helped to have the stuff on hand.

Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:12:02 pm »
Thanks everyone :) I have had a pretty s**thouse time the past 4 weeks actually (3 deaths and my own miscarriage) so I haven't felt like doing much at all tbh. After having 2wks off to be with me my husband went back to work yesterday and I'm feeling the need to return to normality. I pulled out the cookbook and made the Moroccan Red Lentils today for lunch which was fun to do and delicious! And I made notes to improve it next time ;) Thankyou for your words of encouragement, I'll get there!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:06:02 am by judydawn »
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:29:53 pm »
So sorry to hear of your problems Ayla, no wonder you haven't been wanting to cook or 'chat' on the forum. Nice to hear you did do something in the TMX today though and are trying to return to normality. So glad your dh was able to be there for you these past 2 weeks but sometimes we need them to go back to work so that we can move on with our lives.  All the best love.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
Hi Ayla,

Sorry to hear of your rough time. 

When I first got my Thermomix I often found it easier to return to the old ways of cooking - as they say old habits die hard.  And I just didn't have the confidence or a local consultant for support.  However when I moved I left XH all the pots and pans and appliances.  I took a frypan, a slow cooker and the TM - and i haven't looked back!  ;D  It was probably the little push I needed.  So I would suggest that up pack up all those obsolete items and perhaps store them in the shed/garage if you're not comfortable parting with them.

Once you get up and going there will be no looking back.

Perhaps you could remind yourself of the reason why you purchased a TM and put your effort towards that.  For me it was health, and if I feel slack I remind myself that those old ways weren't as healthy for me.

I have just posted a Honey Soy Stir Fry Chicken Winglets/Mini Drumsticks recipe under Main Dishes - I only discovered it this week and couldn't believe how easy it was and it provides a really yummy meal.  Miss 3 was very impressed which is a hard status to achieve LOL   ;) ;D

Perhaps get in contact with your consultant and see if you can book into a Cooking Class.  Did you have a Delivery Demo or Varoma Demo?  If not perhaps it's time that you booked those to refresh your enthusiasm.

Best of luck!!!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:48 am »
Sorry to hear your news Ayla, but as you say hopefully you will start to get back to normal soon.
Whats the weather like there at the moment, and how many are you for lunch or dinner, maybe we can plan or suggest a few easy things for you to make, that will go down well with the family, and make you really wonder what a fantastic pair of extra hands that you have sitting on the bench, that doesn't answer back  ;D ;D ;D or get jealous  ::) ::) ::) and is not just a pretty face :D :D :D but a super duper fan dabby dosie Thermomix. I honestly feel that I couldn't live without it! Better not say that out loud, DH might hear  :-X :-X :-X
Let us know anyway and maybe we can all help a little.....
Amanda

Spain

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:10:16 am »
Thinking of you Ayla.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:46 am »
oh ayla, that is an awful few weeks :( take it easy on yourself, use your thermomix to cook some simple meals for you to save you the work :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:25 am »
Thanks everyone :) I have had a pretty shithouse time

That's a bit of an understatement.  Hope that you can get back to your bubbly vivacious self, but understand that may take some time.  :( :(

You're in our thoughts and prayers.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.