Author Topic: What is for Breakfast  (Read 691612 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: What is for Breakfast
« Reply #2895 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:42 am »
Yes I do Cuilidh.  I will post the recipe I've been using for a while now and it is just lovely.  I only make a pint jar's worth as I'm the only one that eats it and that is a dollop at a time  ;D

I use the proper culture grains that I buy from Cheeselinks but you can also use the powder from 2 Inner Health Plus capsules.  You may also be able to use some yoghurt from a pot set lot but to be honest I've only used culture grains for years now so can't comment on that.

The recipe I use is one I put together from a few that I'd either seen or actually tried but changed to suit me.It lasts a while in the fridge in a sterilized jar and seems to taste better as time goes on (well I think so anyway). 

CREAMY COCONUT YOGHURT
400ml AYAM coconut cream or milk (coconut cream is just the best) Have now found other brands don't 'set' as well.
2 tsp unrefined coconut oil
1 tbsp tapioca flour OR rice flour (have used both and don't have a preference) 
2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/8 tsp Cheese-links granules OR contents of 2 Inner Health Plus capsules

STERILIZE 1 PINT MASON JAR AND PLASTIC LID you will be incubating in this and storing.

Add coconut cream/milk and coconut oil to TM bowl.  Cook 10 mins/100C/speed 5.

Add rice/tapioca flour.  Cook 5 mins/37C/speed 5.
Place uncovered TM bowl in the fridge and cool until temp reads 37C. (take out of fridge now and then, swirl and then check with thermapen or put back in the TM housing and mix on speed 3 for a few seconds to check the temp).  When temp shows between 37 - 39C then;

Add maple syrup and culture granules OR Inner health powder .
If using culture granules; combine 2 mins/speed 2 ½ OR;
If using Inner health plus powder; mix 20 secs/speed 5.

Pour into sterilized jar, cover with plastic lid and place into my electric incubator.
Leave for 12 - 16 hours or so.  The longer you leave it, the tangier it will be and less sweet.

Remove jar from incubator and refrigerate immediately without opening the lid for 12 hours until chilled and thickened.  Use as desired.

You could add vanilla at this point or any flavour your like.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:30:17 pm by JulieO »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: January 06, 2020, 07:26:21 pm »
Thanks so much JulieO, I'll try this and see how it goes.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2897 on: January 06, 2020, 09:03:35 pm »
Wow Julie, that is incredible.  I have made yoghurt and kefir for years but recently tried commercial coconut yoghurt and really liked it.  Tempted to give this a go.  Thanks for the detailed process.
French SD toast with Chilli jam this morning.  Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.  Sometimes I cook myself a kipper. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 06, 2020, 11:41:20 pm »
Cuilidh and Chookie, the yoghurt isn't sweet like what you buy in the shops, though you could add more sweetener.  You'll know when you make it the first time if you need to add more (or reduce it further) for your own tastes.

I will wait until the new incubator arrives and make some as it's been a few weeks since I last had any.  I'll post a photo of how thick and luscious it is.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: January 07, 2020, 05:15:54 am »
Such a great provider of recipes with every little detail covered Julie, thank you for that.
Chookie I’ve been having bought coconut yoghurt too, found 2 low carb ones for my keto programme.

For breakfast this morning I made a batch of strawberry chia pudding last night which will last me quite a few days for brekky and dessert if I want it.  I halve the recommended size to 80g so will get 8 serves from a 4 person recipe. By reducing the carbs I get to eat other things without worrying I’m having too many carbs.  It’s plenty for me and kept me going until lunchtime. https://lowcarbyum.com/strawberry-almond-milk-chia-pudding/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:06:46 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: January 07, 2020, 05:40:27 am »
I make a raspberry chia pudding for breakfast from Alyce A.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 07, 2020, 07:07:47 am »
It’s nice to have something already made in the fridge isn’t it cookie?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2902 on: January 07, 2020, 08:22:41 pm »
RAL has the same thing for breakfast every morning.  I get bored with the same thing. 2 days in a row is enough for me.  We have lots of fresh eggs so I often make an omelet. Usually have a slice of SD toast .  Do try to watch the carbs but find this hard. 
Julie , I will watch with interest your new yoghurt machine.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: January 08, 2020, 02:06:16 am »
I have my weetbix most days of the week. DH gets up first and he always puts it out for me.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 08, 2020, 04:39:29 am »
Geoff ate weetbix all his life for breakfast, with cold milk too but I like variety with my food so I like to mix it up but if I make a batch of something I’m quite happy to have it daily until it’s all used up.   Sometimes I go without if I don’t feel like anything. 
Nice of DH to set things up for you cookie.
Speaking of eggs, I spoke to my reasonably new back neighbours for the first time last week. I commented on the clucking of his chickens (something I enjoy) and next thing I’m being given a dozen excess eggs.  I was thrilled to bits.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 08, 2020, 06:26:10 am »
RAL has the same thing for breakfast every morning.  I get bored with the same thing. 2 days in a row is enough for me.  We have lots of fresh eggs so I often make an omelet. Usually have a slice of SD toast .  Do try to watch the carbs but find this hard. 
Julie , I will watch with interest your new yoghurt machine.

It was sent yesterday so hoping early next week, though with the fires I guess there could be a hold up on route.  No hurry though and I will be using straight away as I want to make both coconut and natural so it will get christened.  :D

Great about the eggs Judy.  We'e been buying large eggs that come from a farm every couple of weeks, what a difference from the ones from the supermarket.  :o

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 08, 2020, 09:51:18 pm »
JuileO love your detailed recipes too . Judy I get so much pleasure with our chooks and thier eggs , the bantam ones are small white ones . DS will eat a 5 egg scrambled . Love coming home to them , the fridge gets cleaned out and straight to them yesterday . DH tends to get to busy , he gives them grain and water but not the vegi scraps . So they love me when I come home .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:01:11 pm by K Atie »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 09, 2020, 06:14:40 am »
It sure is a bonus to have your own egg layers K Atie. I used to love bantam eggs when I was a child, not sure where Mum got them from but it’s not generally something you can buy in a supermarket.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: January 09, 2020, 08:30:35 am »
The noise of chooks is very therapeutic, as long as there isn't a rooster present! At the moment we have galahs and short billed corellas coming in to be fed in the mornings. I sometimes worry about the neighbours but they are all from various parts of Asia and love the birds. The Corellas will move on soon but the galahs come for a snack most of the year. We have actually named them!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 09, 2020, 09:02:30 am »
Ha ha Chookie, I did ask my neighbour if he was going to put a rooster in with the girls when we had our over the back fence chat recently and he assured me he wasn’t.  I feel like clucking back to the girls when I hear them in the morning but I’d better not do that or the neighbours will think I’m cuckoo.
We occasionally have Corellas in the area, they decimate everything so are not popular around here Chookie.