Author Topic: What was your most embarrassing moment  (Read 29935 times)

mcmich

Re: What was your most embarrassing moment
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:26 am »
Glad I gave you all a laugh.  ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:15 am »
Brilliant mcmich - just brilliant. ROFLMAO   :D :D

Many years ago when I was young & unsophisticated a friend offered to take me out to dinner for my birthday while I was on holidays in Melbourne.  He mentioned a place I was familiar with - very casual - so I dressed accordingly in daggy jeans & scruffy top (You can get away with a lot when you're young and firm.).  When he picked me up he said he'd changed his mind, but that I didn't need to change.

We drove to the restaurant and went in the door behind another, much older couple who were in full evening kit - he in a suit, she in a fur & I started to worry.  When we went inside I realised that it was a full on silver-service restaurant and in the late 70's that was pretty formal - very posh and stuffy.  I slunk in the door and tried to look inconspicuous and was keen to sit down.  My bold friend had no qualms about our appearance and stressed that all the restaurant cared about was whether we could pay - which he could.  The waiter took our orders, bought the bottle of wine we ordered and I sat back and lit up a ciggie - it was the late 70's, remember?

The service was very swift (they were probably keen to get us out) and our entree's came almost immediately.  As I was poor & fags were pricey & I'd smoked less than 1/2, I knocked the top off my fag & put it in the ashtray while I ate.  This was my very first experience of silver-service so I was keen to look the part & after the waiter had cleared those plates I waited until I was sure he was nowhere near before I reached out for the half cigarette.  Like lightning the bloody waiter was next to me with a silver lighter poised to light my cigarette butt.  I wished the ground would open up and swallow me, but I stayed calm, graciously let him light it and confidently waved him off - all the while dying of embarrassment.  My friend assured me I carried it all off with great aplomb, but I'll never forget that night.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 08:22:20 am »
 ;D ;D Only you could get away with that Amanda - I would have been heading the other direction once I saw the glammed up couple ahead of me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:22 am »
Hehehe. The late seventies were good weren't they? Hope you still don't smoke and yes how much do you get away with when you are young and firm?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:18:15 pm by mcmich »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 08:40:32 am »
Another for me (I have several) was when I returned to nursing part time after having my daughter.
I had a ward of 5 five men, all short stay ops. One pt whom had a vasectomy was doing pretty well and I did all the various obs and checks. Every hour went and had a look at what I had to - lifted the gown, nothing swollen etc, then thought it was a bit odd that there was no iodine and not even a hint of bruising or swelling. Finally had a look at his end of bed chart to see that he had had his ingrown toe nail fixed.  :-[ :-[
It was all round the hospital by lunch time. The pt was very gracious and said he would have all his toe nails done if I would look after him.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Very very funny.I've had a good laugh ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 10:18:00 am »
Hilarious Michelle  ;D
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
HUM ................. That's all I will say Michele...LOL

Offline SuzieG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:41 am »
Another for me (I have several) was when I returned to nursing part time after having my daughter.
I had a ward of 5 five men, all short stay ops. One pt whom had a vasectomy was doing pretty well and I did all the various obs and checks. Every hour went and had a look at what I had to - lifted the gown, nothing swollen etc, then thought it was a bit odd that there was no iodine and not even a hint of bruising or swelling. Finally had a look at his end of bed chart to see that he had had his ingrown toe nail fixed.  :-[ :-[
It was all round the hospital by lunch time. The pt was very gracious and said he would have all his toe nails done if I would look after him.

Oh my gawd!! That is hilarious!!

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »
Oh my goodness Mcmich that is absolutely hilarious!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »
Mcmich I started laughing out loud while reading this thread sitting by myself in a coffee shop.  Good thing it was loud in there so no one noticed.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
I used to be a winemaker and was showing a group of influential journalists around the winery on the launch of a new wine. The tour ended in a raucous gathering in the tasting cellar with everyone sampling the new wine. They had already polished off most of one bottle and as I was just pouring out the last of it, a large, well-preserved and very dead catepillar plopped out and gently wafted to the bottom of the glass (we used recycled bottles in those days). Deathly silence ensued, (you could have heard a pin drop) followed by poorly suppressed retching sounds and a dash for the loo. Needless to say, that particular vintage did NOT receive rave reviews!
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »
McMich.......that is SOOOOOOOOOO funny!!!! :-)) ;D
:D

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:16 pm »
I had a ward of 5 five men, all short stay ops. One pt whom had a vasectomy was doing pretty well and I did all the various obs and checks. Every hour went and had a look at what I had to - lifted the gown, nothing swollen etc, then thought it was a bit odd that there was no iodine and not even a hint of bruising or swelling. Finally had a look at his end of bed chart to see that he had had his ingrown toe nail fixed.  :-[ :-[

this is so funny l had tears running down my cheeks  also because a same situation happen to me when l was 15 l had a accident on my brothers racing bike with me landing  quite hard on the bar , l had internal bleeding  and in the ed at hospital every tom, dick and harry came and had a look as l was very swollen . l was very embassed and  my dad was not very happy so he stood watch at the door and only let in the doctor treating me and the anesthetic  

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 12:29:08 am »
Rogizoja - I completely understand why it went so quiet, that would have been terrible if you knew you'd had a tasting from that bottle.  Enough to put you off wine for ever  :D

Good on Dad for looking out for you nazar, not fair on a 15 year old to have to show and tell everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
I don't know why they would be upset Rogizoja. I bet those same people would drink tequila with a worm in the bottle.