Author Topic: Herbalife - anyone tried it?  (Read 45938 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Herbalife - anyone tried it?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:52 am »
I tried herbalife, 20 years ago.

Not good on shakes, and tablets that are just filled with appetite suppressants, not vitamins.

Real food, not shakes for long term results.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 01:05:05 pm »
obbie, I was like that when I first heard of Herbalife many years ago. However, I do think things have changed.

I'm an inveterate ingredient checker and the vitamins pass my test. (Many of the ingredients are from herbs and other plants.) As does the shake powder. I checked the ingredients against the one that Tasty mentioned and it's way better.

I'm not a shake person, either. But, I manage to down one each morning by adding an apple, a banana, some maca powder and some rolled oats all blitzed in Thermie. Normally, I don't eat fruit, so this is a good way to make me eat it. I've lost nearly 4kg in two weeks and I actually feel fantastic.

Different strokes for different folks.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:21 pm »
Megan - you mentioned that you compared Herbalife to Lose Baby Weight and said that it is better. I'm not familiar with the ingredients in Herbalife but this is the comparison table I was talking about. I would interested to hear why you think it is better.

http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/comparison-table/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »
Well done MJ. Great that you are adding fruit and other nutrients to the shakes.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 02:47:46 am »
Megan - you mentioned that you compared Herbalife to Lose Baby Weight and said that it is better. I'm not familiar with the ingredients in Herbalife but this is the comparison table I was talking about. I would interested to hear why you think it is better.

http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/comparison-table/

Tasty, I wasn't looking at that comparison. LBW does look better when compared. It's certainly cheaper.
I was looking at the Vitamins and Minerals by daily percentage, which in many cases are higher.

What I was meaning is that HL is way better for me.  LBW has the extras needed for breastfeeding mothers.

I honestly didn't compare any other shakes at all when looking at HL, I just wanted to lose weight and feel good and thought it would be the easiest way to go. Plus a few of my friends are using it and were very happy with energy levels etc.

It's a bit like the thermal cookers, you become very passionate about your machine!  :D

This morning's shake is: a whole apple, a banana, 1 medium scoop maca powder, 1 small scoop psyllium husk, 1 large scoop chia seeds, 2 large scoops shake mix and 300ml almond/cashew milk.

Obbie, going through this programme has actually encouraged me to eat more whole foods and be more careful in my food choices when shopping for food for myself. I actually eat fruit now, whereas I never ate it previously.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:50:31 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Herbalife - anyone tried it?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 03:35:58 pm »
good for you mj,  my sister did a shake thing not sure of the name but she did wonderfully well and hasn't looked back ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:46:27 am »
Good on you Megan.
If it works, great. ;)

I have tried so many diets, and find once I come off them,  the weight comes back. :-\
My weight has been stable for 12 years, so that is good.

yes, I need to loose 10 kilos, but I am happy where I am now. I don't eat much fruit, only stone fruit at Christmas..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 07:31:52 am »
That's my worry, too. I don't know that I really want to drink a shake for a meal replacement for the rest of my life!!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:06 am »
MeganJane, so what happens when you come off the shakes.

do you have to add the fruit to the shakes.

[/url

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 12:28:00 pm »
Off topic but I lost ten kilos doing nothing but switching from low fat products to full fat products due to wanting to Breast feed my children and give them all the good fats in pregnancy. It's amazing how much sugar is in low fat products. As a nation we are all blind sighted to it as well. I found it to be the quickest way to lose weight and I wasn't even trying! I find 1/2 cup of muesli and milk or a piece of ago toast and a Chai tea will get me to lunch.

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »
Avo!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »
I must agree about full fat and low fat products. The low fat always seem to be full of sugar.  :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
Ditto with the full fat. I always use full fat products if recipes call for low fat, etc.

I've come across these shakes and am thinking of giving them a go next year. The lady is from Perth and apparently these are whole food based. What do others think?

https://secure.thehealthychef.com/shop/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
The only concern I have ever had with shakes ( not that I have ever tried them) is the difficulty of going back to normal food.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:23 am »
I agree with your thoughts Cookie. I worry that shakes starve the body and so the body stores fat unsure of when it's next decent meal is. That's just my experience with friends. Shakes don't teach people how to create new habits. I feel like its a bandaid solution which often results in even more weight going on after the shakes are stopped. Of course this is my opinion only.