Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5133886 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #900 on: July 30, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
Yes CP that's the one, only I halved the recipe.  I bought a 1.6kg leg of lamb, got it deboned by the butcher and used the meat from that.  I used the TM to grind the cooked onion etc to make the paste.  Also I only used 1 deseeded red long chilli, so it wasn't too hot, only 1/4 tsp chilli flakes and 1 tbs (4 tsp)  sweet paprika.  Remember if you make it that it's English tablespoons (equivalent to 3 tsp) in the recipe.  Makes lots of sauce, really nice.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #901 on: July 30, 2011, 12:04:12 pm »
We had 3 cheese scrolls, mint pea soup and date butterscotch self saucing pudding. Yum!  :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 31, 2011, 03:19:07 am »
Julie do you think if I cooked all this in the slow cooker I would have to brown anything or just throw it all in?

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 31, 2011, 03:39:56 am »
Ice cream, ice cream and more ice cream. Spoilt myself yesterday and bought an ice cream maker (one with a built in compressor) so I'm going to start with the Salted Caramel Maple ice cream that everyone raves about. Oh, okay I'm also making Beef Rendang with pappadums. This will be eaten really quickly so I can get to the ice cream part.  ;D ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 31, 2011, 06:46:52 am »
Yvette, if it was me I would follow the recipe right up until he puts it all into a pot and then in the oven, only for you put it into a slow cooker.  The frying off of the onion etc makes for a better flavour IMO.  You don't normally need as much water/liquid in a slow cooker, but you don't use much in this recipe anyway so it shouldn't be too watery.  Good luck, it's worth a try.  :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 31, 2011, 08:12:20 am »
Thanks Julie will give it a go soon

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 31, 2011, 09:12:42 am »
Had Chookie's KFC chicken tonight.  Usually I shallow fry the fillets then finish off in the oven and I always use chicken breasts cut in half horizontally.  Today i decided to deep fry as I've heard if the right temp is used it's actually less greasy than shallow frying.  I heated the oil to 180C and cooked 2 pieces at once, only took a couple of mins and they turned out the best yet.  So crunchy and the chicken was lovely and moist inside.  Will continue to do them this way from now on.  I made Actifry chips and salad to go with.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:53 am »
That looks lovely JulieO.
WE're having hamburgers with Isi's normal bread as the rolls and Maddy's beetroot hummos and left over butterscotch self saucing pudding with penut butter icecream. I wonder how we existed before TMX.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 31, 2011, 09:48:19 am »
I will order that thanks Julie - leftovers are on the menu at this eatery tonight :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:24 am »
YUM Julie.....that's what I really needed to help soak up last nights red wine

Tonight there was a choice of vegetable pasta soup, or tweaked tuna mornay

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #910 on: July 31, 2011, 02:58:34 pm »
Julie, that looks great.  Yum ;D ;D ;D What are Actify chips.?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 31, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »
Chookie it's one of these. Works a treat, I use 2 spoons of oil (6 tsp) it makes the best chips. 

http://www.tefal.com.au/All+Products/Cooking+Appliances/Fryers/Products/ActiFry/ActiFry.htm

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 31, 2011, 05:15:34 pm »
Kulaks, do you get much use out of the actifry? I looked at buying one to replace an almost dead deep fryer but couldn't justify the money when I wasn't sure how much I would use it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 01, 2011, 01:22:55 am »
Kulaks, do you get much use out of the actifry? I looked at buying one to replace an almost dead deep fryer but couldn't justify the money when I wasn't sure how much I would use it.

Wonder, I'm presuming you are asking me?  I was lucky enough to pick mine up at our local electrical store when they were having a sale of all their floor stock.  I paid $199 instead of the $349 that they were selling anywhere else.  It comes with a recipe book as you can cook other things in it but I really wouldn't bother to be honest, I bought it just for cooking chips because of the attraction of using so little oil.  I've found 1 1/2 - 2 spoonfuls (4-6 tsp) works the best.  I guess I would only use it 1 - 2 times/month which may not be a lot but I'm very happy with it when I do.  I still have a deep fryer also which hardly ever gets used, but again it's there for when I need it (as in the chicken last night).

If you've ever made oven fries, the actifry chips tastes 100% better than them.  :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:41 pm »
Maddy, what no dinner tonight !?!?!?

I hang out to see your beautiful meals....... ;D
Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......