Author Topic: Chicken Kiev  (Read 83647 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Chicken Kiev
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »
Name of Recipe: Chicken Kiev (A variation of the Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe)

Thank you so much Farfallina for providing us with your beautiful Cordon Bleu recipe and to Cookie who thought up the Chicken Kiev variation.  :-* ;D

Number of People: 4-6 (Makes 6 Chicken Kiev's)

Ingredients:

Kiev's
100g parmesan (cut into chunks)
500g chicken breast (cut into small chunks)
1 egg
20g flour
1/2 tsp salt

Garlic Butter Filling:
small handful of fresh parsley
2-3 garlic cloves - peeled
80g butter cubed (take out of fridge for 5-10 minutes before using)

Coating:
1 egg (beaten)
Bread crumbs
EVOO

Preparation:

Grate parmesan for 15 seconds speeding up from 2 to 9. Set aside.

Make garlic butter by dropping the parsley and garlic onto blades spinning at speed 7.  Scrape down bowl.

Add butter and combine at speed 5 for 30 seconds.

Divide garlic butter into six even sized pats and set aside (scraping out bowl well).

Put chopped chicken in TM bowl, proceed for 30 seconds on Speed 4.

Add grated parmesan, egg, flour and salt. Proceed for 30 seconds on Speed 4.

Divide into 12 pieces. Roll or flatten each out into a circle (approx 10cm diameter).  Wet your hands with water to work better.

Place the garlic butter pats in the middle of 6 of the circles.  Place another circle on top of each of the garlic butter circles (like a sandwich).  Press and fold the edges closed nicely so the butter won’t come out during baking.

Cover oven tray with wax paper. Brush it over with some oil.

Dip the kiev's into beaten egg and then bread crumbs. Place them in the tray.

Pour a little oil on the top of the kiev's.

Cook in the 180°C preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. (After 15 minutes passed, turn them upside down and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes)

Tips/Hints:

Our kiev's took a little over 30 minutes to cook tonight.  One leaked out (of course ;)).

I used 80g parmesan tonight but they were still a little too strong for our boys tastes so I will reduce it even more next time.  I may even add a little grated tasty cheese to the mix.

Photos:

Here is the photo of the one that leaked (hence not a lot of butter).  Note the seeded crumbs - classy huh!!!  ;) ;D

members' comments

Catisa - I didn't have any parmesan and decided to use a handful of grated cheddar. These were very tasty.

Narelle - We had them (I pan fried them though) and YUM YUM YUM.  So nice.  I've got another batch in the freezer too (uncrumbed) so looking forward to those next week.  I think these will become a staple in our house.

Berry - Yum Chelsea, thanks for the variation!  We loved these as well as the cordon bleu version.  Both will definitely be regulars for us.  

JD - really enjoyed it.  I only used 50 g parmesan and have frozen the 4 remaining uncrumbed ones. So cheap to make!  Thanks for doing the conversion Chelsea, really appreciate someone doing the work for me.

cookie - loved them. I made the garlic butter some time before and froze the little flat balls of it. I used them from frozen to put in the chicken. It oozed (what a lovely word) out as you cut the chicken.

CC - they were delicious. I intended to buy chicken but they had free range turkey breast mince on offer so I bought that instead. It was a little dryer than chicken but still yummy. Like most people said one leaked whilst cooking. I have three left to pop in the freezer for later use.

faffa - they were a huge hit with the family.

CarolineJ - yummo!  I made them stuffed with brie and cherries. I also pan-fried them as I was short on time.  Would definitely make again.

Herbal - they were a hit!!  And - inexplicably - not one leaked!!  I used seed bread (Helgas) for the crumbs, just great! Thanks for the recipe!

thermie crew - I've made them 3 times now and they've become a family regular. We all love them and with 2 fussy toddlers this is a rare thing! We normally only eat 4 of them and the other 2 are just as nice re-heated in the oven the next day for lunch with some salad.
Thanks so much for this recipe-much appreciated!! I've used thighs before and they worked well. Very moist and cheaper to buy too. I find though that they're harder to handle at the making stage and don't stay together as well.  

wapred - sure hit with the hubby and so much cheaper that the shops and look better. Great that I am now saving the $$$$$  Will definitely making these again... Thank you.

Zan - so so so nice! Love them with the minced chicken rather than the whole breast and the cheese. Kids all loved them too. Cheaper and healthier than shop bought ones.  

maddy - Delish......everyone loved it. I didn't have any leak.....so did a little happy dance. I did make the garlic butter earlier in the day and kept in fridge before using.....don't know if that's what made the difference?

virgo9 - it went down a treat. Yummy with mashed potato and steamed vegies. Will just have to tweak it a little next time - the kids and DH thought there was just a bit too much butter and garlic. But overall - a winner. Thanks!!

Debbiebillg - they were a huge hit. Kids loved them and were asking for more.  We freeze our chicken breast in around 900 gm so it usually does us two meals, so I doubled the quantities and it was great. I made it in to 10 as it works out well for us. Thanks for the recipe.

dede - Had these with a fried rice on the side. We all loved them and I would even say they are the best Chicken Kiev's we have ever eaten. I made double the batch as we have a family of 7 but we still had heaps left over. Definitely will be making these again. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe. Love it.

farfallina - I finally tried it! It is so delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Twitterpated - I only usually use the thighs.  

cgonsalv - Thanks for this wonderful recipe.  It is definitely one to make in bulk.  I got a bit carried away with  the parsley so my garlic butter was bright green.  Looked and tasted wonderful still.  I did make the garlic butter in bulk and rolled it into a sausage shape before freezing it and then sliced it when I needed it.
The only things I did that was a bit different, was divide the mixture into six balls, and then I made a hole in each one, stuck the little frozen bit of garlic butter in and then joined the chicken mixture around it.  It was very quick and easy.  I was expecting it to be very sticky but it was not too bad at all.  The fat content in this dish is very high so am looking at a few lower fat options like this one I found:
2 Tbsp ricotta cheese
225 g frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp finely chopped chives
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley

Mash ricotta with spinach, garlic, chives and parsley and use as required.
Not sure if it will taste any good.

CC -Even though I egg and crumbed twice, the garlic butter leaked but they still tasted great. Made six, cooked three and froze the others.

Frozzie -  we preferred them with the adapted filling and there are so many to try even though it's not really chicken kiev but an adapted version..I changed the filling and put garlic, chives, large green mild chilli, large handful of mushrooms and of course butter with a little lemon zest...whizzed up everything together except the butter (put that in last then mixed it to combine). I'm going to try to make these in mini for 'bites' for my sons party I think.  Definitely easier to handle than the proper kievs. Thanks again Chelsea. Its much easier as Chris posted previously to separate into balls (the size you want them) but make sure the butter cube or piece is in proportion to your ball size and just with your finger poke a hole into the ball, place the butter cube or piece and close around..heaps quicker and easier than sealing all edges and makes for no leakages!

Honey joy - can only repeat what has already been said-yum! I also made 6, cooked 3 and had 1 leak but I liked the way the leaked one helped add extra flavor to the crumbs of them all. Thanks for the concept.

LellyJ - Totally thrilled with this recipe with so many possibilities! Thanks :-)

tarasis - Made this again today for the first time in 9+ months, with the suggest method of making a ball and then pushing the butter in and forming the ball back around. It worked a treat with none of the three leaking a drop (yay!).

Coops - awesome!

ElleG - Great recipe, adapted it to make it with oats. Blitzed 150 g of oats for a few secs to make them similiar to breadcrumbs. Used 20 g to make oat flour and used that in place of flour in the recipe. Only had tasty cheese so used that instead of parmesan. It is delicious and thoroughly enjoyed - years since I could eat Chicken Kievs.

Hally - easy, yum & cheap.

Netstar - they were delicious!  Thanks for the recipe.  To quote my DH "these are one of the best things you have ever cooked for me!", lol, that's high praise!

Merlin - I have made this recipe so many times now, each a stunning success.Totally legendary recipe!

leoness 79 - what a winner!!! So yummy even my fussy 10 yr old son loved these! Thanks for this recipe! They also looked restaurant quality! I am very impressed.

Bubbles - Wow these were delicious! I found them a lot easier to make than I thought they would be.I can't believe how much yummier they are than the bought ones, I wouldn't go back to them now if someone paid me!

kt2 - We finally tried these tonight and they were really tasty!

maddy - Love the squirt of butter!!!

Kimmyh - loved them. Can't wait to try a few different flavours.

Zada - yum! No leaks.

suzanne - These are yummy as are the cordon bleu ones which actually are my favourite.

JuliaC83 - Made these with chicken thighs, tasty cheese and basil instead of parsley. Oven baked and crispy! So delicious! Great recipe.

jenfm - Tried this last week. DELICIOUS! My boys were well impressed with me. Thanks!

Dam Scot - Not sure if this has been suggested, I put my garlic butter in the freezer to make it easier to form the chicken around the butter. Also I used the chicken nugget recipe from EDC for my Kievs. My boys love it.

arcadia - they are delicious.

AnnaBanana - they were awesome. Had them with rice cooked with veg stock and some mushrooms in the Thermie.  Yum!  My son and his girlfriend loved it.  This is the first time that I've cooked Kiev and the butter did not ooze out during cooking. Will definitely be making again.  So easy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:46:32 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Kiev
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:24 pm »
Thanks Chelsea (and farfallina) that looks great.  When you think about it, you could stuff the chicken with anything really - spinach and feta, some sort of chunky style dip etc  and I do like things you can make ahead and just pop them into the oven. You could feed so many people with something like this with very little effort.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

Wow Chelsea! Awesome!   :o

I will definitely try next time!!

Thank you for the conversion!  :-* :-*

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:08:01 am »
Well done Chelsea, they look lovely. I will be trying them later this week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Catisa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »
I have this in the oven ATM, I didn't have any parmesan and decided to use a handful of grated cheddar. If it tastes and good as it smells then its a winner ;)

These were very tasty ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:51:33 am by Catisa »
Michelle
Sarcasm is just 1 of the services I offer ;-)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:41 am »
Thanks to everyone involved in this recipe!  We had them tonight (I pan fried them though) and YUM YUM YUM.  So nice.  I've got another batch in the freezer too (uncrumbed) so looking forward to those next week.  I think these will become a staple in our house.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »
This one has proven to be a great take-it-and-run-with-it recipe.  I know my DH is going to enjoy this one when I get around to making it. Been so long since I have made it - was always a good dinner party recipe back in the 70's.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:45:56 am »
Good work Chelsea - looks very classy with those crumbs.  Thanks for converting.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Berry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »
Yum Chelsea, thanks for the variation!  We loved these as well as the cordon bleu version.  Both will definitely be regulars for us.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 09:29:43 am »
Had this for lunch today and really enjoyed it.  Have frozen the 4 remaining uncrumbed ones. So cheap to make!  Thanks for doing the conversion Chelsea, really appreciate someone doing the work for me.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:25 am »
Good work JD - that sure does look delish.  Those corn cobbets too.  *Drool*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »
Oh that does look good Judy.  Does the garlic butter drizzle out when you cut into it? (my favourite part  :D )

I am so making these next week.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »
Thanks everyone, yes it does JulieO - it actually gushed out and scared the living daylights out of me.  :D :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »
 :D :D