Author Topic: Full Steam Ahead: Dumpling variation, p.130  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Siren

• View Profile
    • Bibliobubble blog
Full Steam Ahead: Dumpling variation, p.130
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »
This recipe is for three different flavours of bread-based dumpling, served with a mushroom sauce.  I made just two of the flavours, and didn't bother with the sauce, so this is really just a partial review.

I wonder whether there is a mistake in the recipe, because adding 200g milk made something more like a sludge than a mixture capable of being formed into dumpling shapes.  It took lots more breadcrumbs to unslacken the mixture to a suitable state.

The spinach form of the dumplings is very like something we have eaten in the Trentino region of Italy, called "strangolapreti".  In fact, that is how we served them, in a puddle of melted butter with grated Parmesan on top.  Tasty, but sadly over-processed, gluey and stodgy by the time I remedied the consistency problem and got the dumplings into a fit state to steam in the Varoma.

The mushroom version is very tasty, and suffered less from the too-liquid consistency than the spinach version did.

I have since made the spinach version again, but omitting the milk, and the consistency and texture were much improved.  There is enough moisture in the spinach and eggs to bind the mixture without needing to add milk.

A tasty and interesting recipe, but one which needs to be tweaked if it is to be a success, I think.
Linked CC.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:41:17 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Full Steam Ahead: Dumpling variation, p.130
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:43:36 am »
Thanks for your reviews today Siren, much appreciated.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Full Steam Ahead: Dumpling variation, p.130
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »
I've often looked at this recipe and thought about it. Thanks for the review Siren.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/