Author Topic: Vegan Butter  (Read 14663 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Vegan Butter
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:34:44 am »
I have just downloaded this recipe from the veggietable blog, so haven’t tried it yet, but I think (or hope!) that my TMX adaptation should work out OK

1 c cashew cream (1 cup soaked cashews, 1 cup water)
1 t cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 c refined coconut oil, melted but not hot
½ to 1 t salt
2 T olive or grapeseed oil
¼ t turmeric, for colour (optional)

Soak the cashews for 2 – 4 hours then make cashew cream – 1 minute, speed 9; check for smooth consistency and if necessary scrape down and zap again.

Add vinegar, 10 seconds, speed 3, just to combine. Stand for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil (if you use raw coconut oil you may get a coconutty taste, whereas refined coconut oil should be taste neutral – or so I am told).

Grind the salt into powder with a mortar and pestle. (This isn’t absolutely necessary, but it will help keep the salt distributed evenly through the butter. If you don’t grind it, the salt will be heavier and tend to sink toward the bottom.)

Add everything to the cream and blend for 2 minutes, until thick and creamy, with a few tiny bubbles.

Transfer to an ice cube tray or container and freeze for at least an hour, until solid.

Keep in the freezer for long-term storage, or if you’ll be using it within a few weeks, transfer it to the refrigerator, where it will thaw but remain solid

It’s important for the butter to freeze as quickly as possible in order to avoid separating. So keep your storage container in the freezer before filling it, and be careful not to heat the coconut oil more than you absolutely have to.

You can use a regular blender but it is tricky with such a small amount, so you might consider doubling or tripling the recipe, especially since the butter keeps well in the freezer.

Finally, you can use this pretty much like regular butter: for frying onions, for baking, for pie crust, and of course you can leave it out on the counter for half an hour or so to soften - put the softened butter back in the fridge and it will resolidify.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vegan Butter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:11:58 am »
Will be interested in your comments regarding the taste once you've tried it Marina.  It sounds good for those who are dairy intolerant.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:12:26 am »
Very interesting recipe Marina.I'm sure people will love you for converting it to the TM.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:39:23 am »
Thanks - I will add it to the list to try for my DH

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »
This looks good. I'm avoiding normal butter ATM (need to lower cholesterol) so this will be great. Thanks Marina :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“