Author Topic: Hollandaise Sauce - Holding and Re-heating  (Read 9435 times)

ElsieD

Hollandaise Sauce - Holding and Re-heating
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:04 pm »
Hello all:

Can anyone tell me their experience(s) with holding  Hollandaise sauce?  How did you hold it and for how long?  Can it be reheated if there are leftovers (HAHA)?  If yes, what method did you use?  I have gone through all the previous threads and while this question has been asked, it has never been answered.

Many thanks.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Hollandaise Sauce - Holding and Re-heating
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:26:31 am »
My understanding is that you can't reheat Hollandaise as it will split - anyone else tried it?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:43:40 am »
I make it as we are about to eat it and have tried a few times to gently reheat but it wasn't as good, with any leftovers we add seeded mustard and keep in the fridge for a few days to use instead of butter on meat sandwiches, even though I know it's bad for me I can't stand to waste any.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:28 am »
Ooh, lovely idea using it as butter - I like the way you think!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »
You can reheat it in a bain marie or very low heat(even microwave at lowest will do). Add a tsp of water and it will make it easier. Hollandaise and sauces in that family should never be heated to more then 70 Celsius as it will split if heated more.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:29:54 pm »
Thanks for your input Bluesed, nice to know it can be done albeit it carefully.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:13 pm »
Prethermomix days I would make hollandaise sauce in advance.  (My favourite meal in the world is salmon with hollandaise, going back to my late teens when I lived in Canada, in a University residence.  My dad would meet me sometimes and take me out for dinner and I would always have smoked salmon, followed by salmon with hollandaise!)  I used to put little dabs of extra butter (!) on top and then gently re-heat as Bluesed suggests then whisk the extra butter in.  This would stop a skin forming on top of the sauce.

These days due to the high fat content of hollandaise and middle age spread on my part, hollandaise and salmon is a rare treat!  I have only made it once since having Clancy and then I did it just before serving, as it is so easy, no stirring over simmering water etc!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:57:59 am »
I'm scouting the forum for the best way to make hollandaise in the TMX as I'm trying it for the 1st time tonight  :-\  You can rescue a split hollandaise (or mayo) by putting a fresh egg yolk in a clean bowl and slowly whisking in the split mixture - I've had a success with that method.  I tried it with reheated hollandaise that split and it worked ok - but not as good as fresh sauce of course.  It's not very often that we have leftovers though   ;)