Author Topic: Kitchen Appliances  (Read 20601 times)

Offline Anaise

• View Profile
Kitchen Appliances
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:17 pm »
Now I have my Thermomix I am sure I will find myself using other appliances less. and those will be sold.

What appliances have others found they no longer use and have gotten rid of?
I have a food processor
yoghurt maker - def. going
icecream machine - def. going
rice cooker
bread machine
baymix
food dehydrator.
pressure cooker - ???

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Kitchen Appliances
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:14:52 am »
If you've only just got your TM, I wouldn't be hasty in disposing of your other appliances just yet.  Wait and see over the next few months to see if you still want to use any of them.  This is just my opinion on my usage, I hope it's of help.  :)

I've had my TM for about 3 months and this is what I've found:

I have a Magimix processor, so it's very good but I haven't used it since getting my TM.  However I won't get rid of it because if I want to do a lot of slicing it will be there for me.  I must admit this is the only thing that I would now use it for, but I can't think of getting rid of it.

I have an EasiYo yoghurt maker and once I've used up the packets of mixture I will attempt to make it in the TM.

Ice cream machine - I love this and find I'm using it more now than before.  The TM is so quick and easy to make the custards then I churn in the machine.

Rice cooker - Again haven't used since getting the TM as that makes enough rice for us.  But  if I should need to make more rice than the 400g maximum, then the rice cooker would be used.

I still use my bread machine as it's so easy just to put everything in and 3 1/2 hours later lovely bread that I am happy with.  I do like to make by hand now and then but if my bread machine packed in I would replace it.

I have a Braun stick blender which hasn't been used since.

I don't have a dehydrator or pressure cooker so can't comment.

I do have a KitchenAid mixer that I wouldn't get rid of, nothing beats a good mixer for cakes, eggwhites etc.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:32:14 am »
Now I have my Thermomix I am sure I will find myself using other appliances less. and those will be sold.

What appliances have others found they no longer use and have gotten rid of?
I have a food processorI doubt you'll ever need it unless you're doing multiple things at once
yoghurt maker - def. goingabsolutely - try Canadian Foodie's yoghurt
rice cooker - handy to be able to cook rice while the main is cooking - good for larger quantiites
bread machineI like my tmx bread
baymix I'm giving mine to my sister as haven't used it since TMX

That's my thoughts anyway.  In 3 months I've barely used my pots, but my oven is getting a thrashing.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:58 am »
I agree with JulieO - hold off on any decisions!
I've had my TM for 2 years and here is what I've found.

Got rid of the juicer.
I got rid of my rice cooker, but we are not huge rice eaters and the TM makes enough for us.
I've hardly used my bread machine since I got the TM, but can't bring myself to get rid of it.  I would use it on hot days when I don't want to have the oven on.
I have a Magimix,too, but haven't used it at all.  Am moving it to our beach house.
Still use the Bamix for quick, small jobs.
Will NEVER get rid of the KitchenAid - I like to bake and, for a perfect cake or pav nothing beats, creams and aerates like it!
I think the ice cream maker and the TM are a match made in heaven!  Like JulieO, I use the TM to make the rich custards etc., then fast freeze in the ice cream machine.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:21:53 am »
I agree with the girls so far Anaise.  Gave away my rice cooker but so far every other appliance is still sitting in the cupboard taking up valuable space.  The breadmaker I have rarely got used before and definitely never gets used now, not that I make a lot of bread in the TMX either - I only do it to prove to myself that I can and when and if I find the perfect loaf, maybe will make more. I have used the stab blender on the odd occasion whilst the TMX is being used so wouldn't part with that and it doesn't take up much room either.  Have only used the large and smaller version of my food processors for making breadcrumbs whilst the TMX has been busy. Yoghurt maker, not used but then I still haven't perfected the TMX recipes, maybe will try again this summer as there now seems to be foolproof recipes on the forum.  My potato ricer will never, ever get used again so that can go. Never lucky enough to have a kitchen aid but my mixmaster is still handy for pavlovas etc as I just can't get the consistency I want in the TMX.  So guess it boils down the the fact that apart from the breadmaker, rice cooker & potato ricer I will probably keep the rest for emergencies. I'll keep the yoghurt maker too to use in conjunction with the TMX. Would love a dehydrator to make fruit things for my grandchildren as the natural fruit straps etc are so expensive to buy and also an ice-cream maker as those with one seem to think it does a much better (or easier) job of finishing off TMX ice-cream.  Women and their appliances - a match made in heaven.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:36:08 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:37:04 am »
i finally gave away my food processor this year after not using it for 18 months
i do still use my stick blender when i make large quantities of soup etc
i need to get rid of my bread maker (kids won't eat the bread anyway)
will never get rid of my rice cooker as the tmx doesn't make anywhere near enough rice for our family
i havne't tried tmx yoghurt yet but do love my easiyos (x2) so not parting with them yet anyway
i still have slow cookers (x3) and hardly used them this winter, cooked in the tmx more instead, but will see if that trend continues this winter or not before getting rid of them.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:40:52 am »
3 slow cookers Karen - wow :o :o :o  I forgot my slow cooker in my posting.  No, I would never give that away.  It is a huge one and I can do lamb shanks or osso buco for 8-10 people in it. My DH & SIL would kill me if they went off the menu as they are their favourite meals. Also handy to pop a meal on when I am going to be out all day, late home and don't feel like cooking at the end of the day.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:57:53 am »
Ladies, you have to at least try Valerie's yoghurt in the TMX.  Give it a go next time you need to buy Easi-yo powder (or whatever it is).  All you need is 2 litres of milk and 1/4 cup of yoghurt so it's very real and very cheap.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:44 am »
I've still got all my gadgets in the cupboard. I hope to give them to DD when she shifts out, but I think she'll be buying a Thermomix.
I no longer use:
The bread maker
The blender
 rice cooker
stab blender
my food processer died
juicer
I won't be getting rid of my slow cooker, Kenwood or easi-yo
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:49 am »
I have kept my little hand mixer as the beaters are very quick to wash when in a hurry to whip cream or egg whites. Don't use a slow cooker as I use a pressure cooker which is only 1/3 the cooking time of a recipe. Then apart from the oven, stovetop, kettle and toaster - TM does it all.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:00:32 am »
Isnt it funny how one of the selling points of the thermomix is that you dont need anyhthing else in your kitchen! yet almost everyone has kept thing things the TM is meant to replace!! dont let Grace know ;)

I wouldnt get rid of my slow cooker - TM just doesnt cut it for stew type of meals, same with my pressure cooker, if I only have an hour to make a casserole I would use my pressure cooker over my TM

i do wish I had a Kitchen Aid as I think it would be much better for cakes....but I think I will have do to a lot of justifying to get one of those!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:30 am »
Isnt it funny how one of the selling points of the thermomix is that you dont need anyhthing else in your kitchen! yet almost everyone has kept thing things the TM is meant to replace!! dont let Grace know ;)

I wouldnt get rid of my slow cooker - TM just doesnt cut it for stew type of meals, same with my pressure cooker, if I only have an hour to make a casserole I would use my pressure cooker over my TM

i do wish I had a Kitchen Aid as I think it would be much better for cakes....but I think I will have do to a lot of justifying to get one of those!

I never thought of mentioning the slow cooker before!  I have one of them plus a slow combustion stove with a hot oven and a slow oven which I use in winter.
I will never get rid of that either.  Some meals need long, slow cooking to develop flavours and break down meat fibres and it is wonderfully comforting to come home at the end of a long day to a hot, rich casserole or stew!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 05:58:11 am »
Haven't thrown out/sold anything.  Use them all for different things.  If you have space keep some.

Kitchen Aid - egg whites/sausage stuffing/pasta rolling
Food processor - slicing and shredding veg, has ajuicer attachment that I prefer for some juices where I just want juice and no fibre
Rice cooker can keep food warm like slow cookers so I have kept that - don't use often - but.... hoarder
Bamix & Breville stick blender - quick blitzing at times & whipping one egg white.
Food dehydrator - DEFINITELY KEEP - a must for many raw foods and a real bonus to have the TMX to use with it.
Bread machine - never had one - not sure - probably sell.
Yoghurt maker - depends on the variety.  I use the thermos and jar to set what is made in the TMX.

I might only use those things every 6 months - but still like to have them - sad but true confession.  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:18 pm »
Love my KA mixer, so would never part with that.
Got rid of the juicer
Still have the breadmaker, but it's packed away.
Same with rice cooker
Kept my little hand beaters as they're handy for cream if Timmy is busy with something else.
Kept my stick blender, useful for zapping large quantities of soup, but rarely used.
Kept slow cooker, handy for large quantities and can cook away for a few hours when you're not there.
Food processor is in now in my Skinflint workshop where it mixes dry clay, bath bomb ingredients and grinds salt.
I have a mandolin for slicing.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
I have always had my eye on a KitchenAid. I think I just need to be "tipped over the edge" a bit more since the arrival of TM. Does any one colour improve the quality of your cooking? Red may make you cook faster  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand