Author Topic: Every day meals for Everyday Australian family  (Read 31118 times)

Offline peterseaford

• View Profile
Every day meals for Everyday Australian family
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:52:03 am »
G'day everybody and thanks for a great site.

Have read many many wonderful recipes but ask where I might find more ordinary everyday meals for an Aussie family.

The usual dinner would be a meat and five veg plus a sweet or a soup

Understand that there are heaps of wonderful recipes but would value a more standard recipe base

kind regards

peter

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Every day meals for Everyday Australian family
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:42:42 am »
Your post made me laugh Pete. There are over 10,000 members on this forum and probably  95% of us are ordinary  Australians. What you read here is what we eat. Take your pick.

Gertbysea
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:14:24 am »
No fibbing now Gert - none of us are "ordinary" we are all "EXTRAORDINARY"!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:36 am »
Dumb question, do you own a Thermomix Pete or do you think this is just a cooking forum for housewives? (please don't be offended)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:21 am »
I get what you are asking Peter - we are a meat and veg household here too - does that make us "Everyday Aussies" ??  ;) ;D
I generally do meat in oven or slowcooker, veg and gravy in TM, or meat in TM and sides in oven, I do use my slowcooker alot and teamed with the TM make a great pair for how we eat.

There is a section on here called "All in one meals using the varoma" - http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?board=54.0 which might be more what you are after...?

Hope that is of some help... ???  :D
Any other Qs feel free to ask on here.

MrsG - if you read his introduction post you will see he is 'in the know' so to speak about this forum and the TM....http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=14294.0
:D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:05:26 am »
I've compiled this list and I hope it is useful for you Pete. (Just click on the link)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:43 am »
Pete we are a meat and veg family. I find I can still make things like peanut chicken and do veggies with it, or lots of other chicken recipes. I don't use my thermomix much for beef, but can still make soups or dessert in it. Steamed veggies in the varoma are lovely. Baf's chicken is really chicken and veggies. Have a bit of a look in main meals or all in one meals.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 04:35:57 am »
Pete here is a everyday meal, Saturday Lunch, with 7 veg. Rare roast lamb on the BBQ with onions and garlic. Truffled Thermomix mashed potatoes cooked with skins on. Varoma  steamed yellow beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, served with cheesy lemony Thermomix sauce and Thermomix  made mint sauce.

No gravy  as we are not keen but also could be done in Thermomix.

So there you have it, an ordinary Australian dinner of meat and 7 veg not counting the bits of truffle.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 05:12:23 am »
The Potts Family from Bleasdale are providing desert to be had  in the pool as it is about 32 here.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 06:30:42 am »
You couldn't get anything more ordinary (but delicious) than Chelseas Bangers & Mash Pete - give that a whirl.  You really need to have a good browse of the forum and you will find so many ordinary meals on here - eg  chicken & lentil cottage pie (there are meat versions around too).  Check out the link astarra gave you and have a browse through the main meal section as well.  We are just so proud of the recipes that this forum has to offer, converted and shared by the very generous people on here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 06:39:56 am »
Hi Pete - and welcome to the forum  :D
You will find lots of help and advice here from friendly people who are only too willing to help -  

I was under the impression that on this forum members were encouraged to not hold back on any question - none too small or too great to get any answers or direction that may be helpful - so ask away!!!

Maybe we could start a thread suggesting meals and links to the recipes as I'm sure Pete is not the only one thinking along these lines . . .. . or just post suggestions in this thread.

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 01:18:03 am »
Oops that post didn't come up in my feed. Sorry if anyone got offended, I only tend to scroll on my phone so don't tend to see all the updates. I also specifically said my question was not intended to cause offense.

Anyway, welcome. We are meat and veg eaters also, but I tend to do a lot of salads in my Tm. Breads and rice also.

My biggest problem is that most of the recipes I find tend to be high in fat, but omitting cream and making use of options can fix that easily.

I love my veggies, and it's still pretty simple to include them on the side with what I cook.

Good luck convincing the wife... If she had any idea how hard I had to fight with my hubby to get my Tm, she'd know she is a very lucky girl indeed.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 03:10:35 am »
Here is another one Pete. Pretty easy to cook the quinoea in the Thermomix. Let it cool and add  5 or more veggies. Using leftover lamb from yesterday and here is a very ordinary Australian version of meat and 8 veg plus 3 fruit.

Quinoea salad with tomato, avocado , kale,  cucumber, spring onion. chilli, garlic, capsicum, yellow beetroot.  The dressing made in he Thermomix is rice bran oil, lime juice,fish sauce, garlic and fresh picked and dried pink peppercorns .

Just add the meat.

Gert

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 03:20:57 am »
Yummm Gert, we have prime rib tonight. i might make the quinoa salad, it looks devine :)

I find thermie is also great fo chop up left over roasts to make pies, pasites, ragus etc.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 03:30:52 am »
The quinoea is my new favourite food for summer. I did soak it overnight . After cooking I drained it well, left it in the fridge to dry out , it was light fluffy and tasty.  Leftover salad for breakfast with a fried egg on top.  Funnily enough DH has  taken to it as well.

There is a whole lot you can do with it so far as adding whatever. DD is making a Mediterranean  roast  veggie  and Quinoea salad today with rack of lamb so she will be serving it warm.

Gert